DCI World Champs Prelims - Aug 9, 2018

Just noticed that the .013 pass that Spartans made around Legends is the dividing line between Semifinals and done.  Wow. Razor thin. 

I know Legends seemed a bit rough today but they had come into OC Prelims in bronze position, got passed by Gold that night and the next.  Then fall to Spartans by what has to be the thinnest margin possible for Semis.  That has to sting.

Even though I deeply dislike spiders, their show was fantastic.  That it gave me the heebie jeebies is a testament to how well the spider theme carried.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fanman said:

Watched prelims today on Flo and tonight at the AMC in downtown Seattle. No technical issues with the theater stream! 

Audience reacted strongest to (in order) SCV, Bloo, BAC, Cadets (gotta love that z-pull). 

Very tepid reaction to BD. We kept hearing what sounded like issues with their on field electronics. Random spoken words, cut outs, etc. I’ve not heard it on any previous broadcast. Can anyone confirm if they had electronics issues today? Reminded of Crown’s issues at finals last year. 

I normally have fun watching the field percussion judge *almost* get run over but this guy was flat out distracting and was involved in multiple interferences and near collisions. Stick him in the box please! 

Bloo’s show is falling short in some content scores but it’s an absolute blast to watch. I’m hoping they carve out this type of niche consistently, and sometimes you’ll strike gold and sometimes you won’t, but the audience will love you for what you do. 

An awesome day of drum corps. Can’t wait til Friday and Saturday! 

If Bluecoats can do shows like Session 44 every year, I’m perfectly happy with bronze. I’d honestly rather have fun and be “that show” and be rewarded for it by the fans, than sell out with sops to the sheets every two minutes.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

NO WHAMMY, NO WHAMMY, STOP!!! Today's abbreviated highlights! 

Santa Clara Vanguard - WOW! Amazing design and execution! 

Blue Devils - strong guard, visually stunning! 

Bluecoats - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the show design, but percussion seems out of place. :(

Crown - really? they boxed themselves into a corner and don't seem to know how to get out. Love the percussion and brass! 

Boston Crusader - great BOA show, strong guard! 

Cavaliers - it's ok, too much clutter! 

Cadets - Loved the closer, rebuilding year! 

Blue Stars - WOW! great design, design  staff needs to get raise - they get it!

Blue Knights - strong sections - design WTF? 

Phantom Regiment - really?

Mandarins - welcome to the club! Strong but seemed nervous! 

Crossmen - come on, design team, challenge the members! 

• Like 2

Concerning the theater show in general, I thought this was one of their strongest broadcasts, as far as interviews and features go.

The bit with Sam the DM from Bloo wired and mic'ed was fantastic. Huge credit to him for handling that so well while managing the pressure of the impending performance. 

Feature on the Teacher of the Year was wonderful. So inspiring. DCI needs to blast that through all media for years to come.

Some great in-the-box interviews with Dean from Bloo, Scott from Cadets and Tj from BD, though it seems like they should have shown a still of the Nighthawks painting for a few seconds for people who weren't familiar with it.

Most bizarre comment of the night, Klesch on the Crown show, "the Beast is really about the kids in the corps, because they work so hard. They are the beast." What??? That's now the explanation of the theme? I feel like it changes by the week.

Groaner of the night,  Rondinano on the "lady french horn players" in BD. He just can't stop with that, can he?

• Like 2

Having Bluecoats' drum major talk with the hosts almost right to the moment the show started was really cool.

• Like 2

Vanguard is just good that it's all. However to me it's just meh, just doesn't connect with me but they deserve the trophy. Bloo... My goodness does it connects to with me, it makes me so happy to watch in person. Same with BD to a smaller scale. Cadets closer as well, brought me to tears. I can't wait to see it 2 more times. 

• Like 5

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Having Bluecoats' drum major talk with the hosts almost right to the moment the show started was really cool.

That was an absolute highlight. 

The lowlight was finding out that the MMs are the Beast. What?? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It actually stressed me out FOR him that they were talking to him right up till show time! He sure handled it like a pro. Is he by any chance studying broadcasting or anything like that?