DCI World Champs Prelims - Aug 9, 2018

7 minutes ago, xandandl said:

oh, those colts. I thought you were referring to The Colts from Dubuque.

Didn't even cross my mind -- I guess senility is finally taking its toll. 

Seriously, how can younger or smaller corps compete if there’s no spending cap?

No one can compete if a corps can build an entire diner on the field  or when a corps can hire a 3 person acoustic engineering staff...then I gotta wonder, is it really about the music and the design or is it about the wallet?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Corps_Efan said:

No one can compete if a corps can build an entire diner on the field  or when a corps can hire a 3 person acoustic engineering staff...then I gotta wonder, is it really about the music and the design or is it about the wallet?

Is this where the DCP comment about waffles is appropriate?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corps_Efan said:

SCV wins best sustains

BD wins best architecture 

Bloo wins best solo

Crown wins best teeter totter

Cavies wins best uni change

Can SCV keep it going?

Can BD keep it from coming apart?

Can Bloo make it on their own?

Is Crown teetering on the brink?

Can Cavies keep the change?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Corps_Efan said:

It's not quite the Catch 22 that it is always made out to be.  Contending takes time any way that you look at it... meaning that climbing to the top is a slow and steady crawl.  It actually starts with caption success and technical achievement... and more thoughtful design (without breaking the bank).  This requires a smaller, but essential, investment in good people... not props and uniforms.  With steady success comes interest and, outside investment, talent selectivity and moderate rate hikes.  Then the props and pageantry follow.

All the money in the world (exaggeration) couldn't take a 16th place corps and put them in 9th tomorrow... or a 9th place corps into 4th.

Cadets are sort of the proof of this pudding... SCV as well.  Cadets are fairly well endowed, but their concerns right now are far deeper than "stuff" and it will take time to manage.  Likewise SCV is probably the most minimalist corps program in the top 12... and look at them!

Likewise, Blue Stars have a lot invested in their theme... but ultimately, they are only as successful (and pretty successful at that, to be sure) as they are right now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Correct one judge can't make a winner, but they CAN make a loser

With the averages it’s a lot harder

7 hours ago, brassboy said:

So I'm not at all a percussion guy (as you may guess from my username), but wow--did Mandarins percussion really do that poorly today to earn 18th in achievement?

His math is odd but percussion hasn’t been their strength 

My take on last night,

First it's SCV's to win or lose.  They are at another level.  Literally.

BD, always done well.  I think you had sound issues tonight.

Bloo!!, loved your show.  Micing the drum major before the show for telecast.  That was great!

Crown's execution is saving them being in 5th or 6th.  Cavies and BAC really have better shows and music, IMHO.

BAC love the ways you incorporate Morse code in your show.  Cool.

Cavies, just a a fun show.  Left me wanting more.

Cadets, good job.  Considering what you have been through pre-season great show.  Not sold on the costumes but they look ok on field.

Blue Stars, not getting the Bob the Builder thing.  I hope you were getting massive donations from Home Depot or something.  Show wasn't bad just seems disconnected.

Blue Knights, would have loved it more had you tied the show together with Stargate music possibly.  Costuming meh.  Again seems disconnected from your show.

Phantom, oh how I want to like you but you are getting beat by "Bob the Builder" (for good reason).  Please, put your helmets back on the hoodies are like not getting it done and you have pretty much the most iconic headgear out there..use it.  Being hyper critical, but the music selections and the arrangements made ZERO sense.  It's like you marched and played (well) but it was like elevator music with nothing truly memorable.  Your placement this year is a warning, you pulled it out in 1986 the next year I suggest something like that again.

Mandarins, I have to say I fell in love with your show.  If you were cleaner you would be beating Blue Stars.  Great show!

Crossmen, Congrats!!!  Love your book and great strides this year.  Solid show.

Spirit, I want to like your show but seriously hiding most the corps for over 2 minutes, you are getting a gift.  What you do you do well.

Colts, what can I say great job this year.  I can't wait to see what you bring in the near future.

...overall the broadcast was good where I was.  Great year for drum corps!

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 1