DCI World Champs Prelims - Aug 9, 2018

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Did not make it to the theater, but have two ongoing observations:

1.  Wireless mic technology does not work consistently.  (I will note, though, that corps have less frequent problems than show announcers using wireless mics 

Just remember that what you hear in a broadcast is not necessarily the same as what the audience and judges hear in the stadium. SCVs bari solos were whisper quiet on the broadcast, but it also looked like their speakers were on the wrong side of the stadium mics. Audience seemed to hear them just fine, unless someone there can let us know otherwise. 

Bloo’s balance across sections, vocalists, and solos was the best on the broadcast, but their speakers were on the field. So the front side mics picked up a more balanced overall sound. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eleran said:

The male Cadets thank you for your assessment.

But as far as money is concerned, you might try viewing this recent Organizational update from the YEA! Board.

:spitting:

Words... oh the problem with words and their meaning.

My point is that the Cadets can financially afford (if only on credit and reputation as primary collateral) to create a contending show with a reputable staff.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I'm not sure what you are referring to that they have the "least going on"

they have the large nested props that the spend a great amount of performance time moving around and standing on, they have a crazy amount of wireless and standing (shotgun) mics, pods of speakers, customized show-themed costumes and a massive pit. So other than their props being "smaller" than BD's stage or Bloo's massive chairs they have a lot going on...

Those platforms are just platforms... built in dimension to nest.  That is an incredibly smart use of money for the purpose of an equally smart program design.  As for the electronics... I don't know that they are exactly breaking the bank on them compared to the rest.

The most flashy thing to look at in their show... is the marching unit.  And they are a sight to behold.

Edited by cfirwin3

5 minutes ago, fanman said:

Just remember that what you hear in a broadcast is not necessarily the same as what the audience and judges hear in the stadium. SCVs bari solos were whisper quiet on the broadcast, but it also looked like their speakers were on the wrong side of the stadium mics. Audience seemed to hear them just fine, unless someone there can let us know otherwise. 

True (though a different issue from what my previous post was responding to).

Sometimes, corps with more than two speaker locations send different sounds to each speaker.  The broadcast crew might only mic two of those speakers, and miss content that was only played through the speakers without mic coverage.  Sounds like the SCV baris might be an example of that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, fanman said:

Bloo’s balance across sections, vocalists, and solos was the best on the broadcast, but their speakers were on the field. So the front side mics picked up a more balanced overall sound. 

I was right in front of the left speaker at the stadium (section 142, row 8). I heard the left solo mic'ed, but the right solo sounded like it wasn't mic'ed. It was odd.

I just want to say that the interviews with the corps staff that explained the shows were very helpful to my appreciation of them.

I wish they could have done them for all the corps.  I think they started it with Phantom.

It would be great if Flo Marching would do similar interviews today, but they have old commercials to run.

14 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

they have the large nested props that the spend a great amount of performance time moving around and standing on, they have a crazy amount of wireless and standing (shotgun) mics, pods of speakers, customized show-themed costumes and a massive pit. So other than their props being "smaller" than BD's stage or Bloo's massive chairs they have a lot going on...

Every top 12 corps has large props, a crazy amount of mics, pods of speakers, custom show wear and a massive pit.  But yeah, not sure SCV wins the austerity award.  My vote is for Cadets.

57 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I concur. just because the field isn't littered with props, does not mean there's little expense required.  good design, choreography, and education all require significant funding.  creating a cohesive product on the field requires lots of planning, time, and education. 

Edited by C.Holland

55 minutes ago, fanman said:

I was seated side A, 40 yard line, front row. From our seats, The side B bari soloist seemed to disappear at some point during the back and forth in the ballad. I’m. It sure if this is due to speaker placement relative to our seats, but we heard the first few sections just fine.   

I also recall a trumpet screamer in the ballad. I didn’t see or hear this last night. 

46 minutes ago, ajlemm said:

I was right in front of the left speaker at the stadium (section 142, row 8). I heard the left solo mic'ed, but the right solo sounded like it wasn't mic'ed. It was odd.

This was exactly my experience in section 141.