DCI World Champs Prelims - Aug 9, 2018

I may sound like an idiot, but this is the  first year that I've subscribed to Flo.  Do they stream Semis and Finals?

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Used to happen all the time. Not sure what changed.

older kids, better designs

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Spartans were a consistent challenger up until a few years ago - they underwent a "management crisis" and have taken time to rebuilt .... East Coast Jazz is a fond, distant memory .... Spartans are the last competitive gasp from the New England cradle of modern drum corps ..... sad to say

...and I know BAC is still there but not everyone considers them to be "New England-based" in the strict sense of the word .... I do miss having 10 corps (of varying quality) in a 90 minute drive of Jerusalem's Lot .....

Edited by Jim Alberty

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Someone somewhere in another thread here gave a pretty good guess.  When the economic recession hit, a lot of the Open Class corps were thrown into pretty financially lean times and had to cut back on staff and such, BDB and SCVC had their parent orgs to lean on and share staff at times.  That shared staff/design became the model for them and the other Open corps are playing catch up now.  I'd agree if Gold, Spartans, and Legends continue to improve at the pace they have, it'll be a race again, but some of those corps may be making the jump to World before they catch them. It'd be interesting to see where Music City would have been in that mix in Michigan City

1 minute ago, bluesman said:

I may sound like an idiot, but this is the  first year that I've subscribed to Flo.  Do they stream Semis and Finals?

Yes, and they are streaming prelims right now, up until the Big Live and Loud show starts in theaters.

2 minutes ago, bluesman said:

Yes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluesman said:

Yup.  You'll get up to Madison tonight.  It cuts off for the Theater shows.  

All of Semis and Finals for the weekend. Enjoy!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

I want to give a shout out to the judges who work this competition.  To have to adjudicate 42 drum corps in one day is Herculean.  That's 8 to 9 hours of active judging.

I totally agree! I judge a band tournament that has 31 bands in 8 hours and I can barely make it back to the hotel afterwards. 

• Like 1