DCI World Champs Prelims - Aug 9, 2018

14 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

If Bluecoats can do shows like Session 44 every year, I’m perfectly happy with bronze. I’d honestly rather have fun and be “that show” and be rewarded for it with the fans, than sell out with sops to the sheets every two minutes.

I was in the stadium tonight 50 yard line lower tier and I was really hoping the crowd would grab onto bluecoats more especially in  The front half of the program.  Maybe they'll grab more of the crowd Friday and Saturday night.  I'm a music first person and I absolutely love what bluecoats are doing it's so refreshing to my ears compared to other Corps 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NakedEye said:

it seems like they should have shown a still of the Nighthawks painting for a few seconds for people who weren't familiar with it

They also didn't show the final image of the show from the right angle, so we never saw how it looks so much like the painting. (They got it right on the San Antonio webcast.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

They also didn't show the final image of the show from the right angle, so we never saw how it looks so much like the painting. (They got it right on the San Antonio webcast.)

The BD camera work was dreadful. They missed most of the show. I can't believe Blair is directing this. It has Flo's signature of ultra closeups of soloists and lingering too long in the wrong spot written all over it. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, brassboy said:

It actually stressed me out FOR him that they were talking to him right up till show time! He sure handled it like a pro. Is he by any chance studying broadcasting or anything like that?

Nope. Music education at bama!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

Groaner of the night,  Rondinano on the "lady french horn players" in BD. He just can't stop with that, can he?

The guys sitting next to me were a couple in their early to mid 50s I'd guess. Based on the responses the guy directly next to me seemed to be the 'appreciative of the show but there because my partner wants to be there' type of spectator.  His partner seemed to be a Cadets alum given his big cheer for them.  

What cracked me up was the number of times the apparent Cadets alum said "Shut up, Rondinano."   Toward the end of the evening, I forget which corps it was, but Rondinano was trying to add on one more rambling comment as the show was starting.  I timed it just right to say "Shut up, Rondinano" with him and his partner choked back a laugh.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

The BD camera work was dreadful. They missed most of the show. I can't believe Blair is directing this. It has Flo's signature of ultra closeups of soloists and lingering too long in the wrong spot written all over it. 

Tom Blair was at Allentown to plan out shots and never got a chance to see most of the Friday night corps.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, fanman said:

The lowlight was finding out that the MMs are the Beast. What?? 

Yes... that made me wince too and rhetorically ask.... WHAT ???.... the MM's are the " beast " ? How  about maybe the people that came up with THAT idea are really " the beasts" ?.... haha!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Haha 1

Actually, the take on Crown's MMs being the Beast sort of made sense for me.  And it helped me pinpoint why it seems the show lacks GE despite the Brass and now Percussion strengths.  "Here's a section doing something beastly". "Here's another section doing something else that's beastly in a different way."  "And here's yet another beastly type of thing."  Yet, it doesn't go anywhere other than a brief interlude for the ballad where "Beasts need lovin' too!"  I'm so used to a Crown show telling a fabulous story (Out of This World, Inferno, Relentless) or making some philosophical/artistic point (E-MC2, It is) that this beast thing just seems so loose in how it's supposed to tie the show together.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

Actually, the take on Crown's MMs being the Beast sort of made sense for me.  And it helped me pinpoint why it seems the show lacks GE despite the Brass and now Percussion strengths.  "Here's a section doing something beastly". "Here's another section doing something else that's beastly in a different way."  "And here's yet another beastly type of thing."  Yet, it doesn't go anywhere other than a brief interlude for the ballad where "Beasts need lovin' too!"  I'm so used to a Crown show telling a fabulous story (Out of This World, Inferno, Relentless) or making some philosophical/artistic point (E-MC2, It is) that this beast thing just seems so loose in how it's supposed to tie the show together.

Yeah, it seems like Crown was really just trying to go with a *feeling* with this concept, which in  this case just isn't interesting enough to sustain for 11 minutes.

Semis schedule posted finally:

DCI World Championship Semifinals
Presented by Earasers & InEarz Audio

Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN
Friday, August 10, 2018

12:30 p.m. – Stadium gates open
1:50 p.m. – Welcome and National Anthem

2:00 p.m. – Spartans - Nashua, NH
2:17 p.m. – Genesis - Austin, TX
2:34 p.m. – Gold - San Diego, CA
2:51 p.m. – Oregon Crusaders - Portland, OR
3:08 p.m. – Music City - Nashville, TN
3:25 p.m. – Pacific Crest - Diamond Bar, CA
3:42 p.m. – Blue Devils B - Concord, CA

3:59 p.m. – Intermission (30 Min.)

4:29 p.m. – Troopers - Casper, WY
4:46 p.m. – Vanguard Cadets - Santa Clara, CA
5:03 p.m. – Madison Scouts - Madison, WI
5:20 p.m. – Colts - Dubuque, IA
5:37 p.m. – The Academy - Tempe, AZ
5:54 p.m. – Spirit of Atlanta - Atlanta, GA
6:11 p.m. – Crossmen - San Antonio, TX
6:28 p.m. – Mandarins - Sacramento, CA
6:45 p.m. – Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL

7:02 PM – Intermission (40 Min.)

7:42 p.m. – Blue Knights - Denver, CO
7:59 p.m. – Blue Stars - La Crosse, WI
8:16 p.m. – The Cadets - Allentown, PA
8:33 p.m. – The Cavaliers - Rosemont, IL
8:50 p.m. – Boston Crusaders - Boston, MA
9:07 p.m. – Carolina Crown - Ft. Mill, SC
9:24 p.m. – Bluecoats - Canton, OH
9:41 p.m. – Blue Devils - Concord, CA
9:58 p.m. – Santa Clara Vanguard - Santa Clara, CA

• Scholarship presentations, recognitions and awards
• Exhibition: FREE Players
• Age-Out Ceremony presented by U.S. Army Bands
• Last scores announced

All times Eastern Time Zone and subject to change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5