DCI World Champs Prelims - Aug 9, 2018

Why do I get the feeling that this years champion will receive the lowest gold medal score since the current world class layout was established after 2006. It just seems weird considering just 3 weeks ago I was talking about scv breaking the record of 99.650. The top three scores overall are lower than last years and I think possibly the lowest in this format. Not taking anything away from these kids but it just confuses me.

posted from the DrumScorps app

3 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

When Rondo started talking about it, I wasn’t sure what he was talking about. 

bothers me because the 2 baris going back and forth with each other across the field during the ballad is one of the most thrilling music moments of the past decade for me

i'm sad that so many people won't get to hear it unless they get the mic situation fixed. 

really hoping they can fix it in post-production for the mp3's and blurays

25 minutes ago, Cfmninjaa said:

Why do I get the feeling that this years champion will receive the lowest gold medal score since the current world class layout was established after 2006. It just seems weird considering just 3 weeks ago I was talking about scv breaking the record of 99.650. The top three scores overall are lower than last years and I think possibly the lowest in this format. Not taking anything away from these kids but it just confuses me.

posted from the DrumScorps app

i feel like the arms race for using megaprops has contributed to that. the top 3 are all using megaprops, and i haven't found any of them very effective this year. 

BD integrated them much more effectively last year. 

SCV is using theirs more effectively than they did last year, but i still don't think it's all that great.  

most of the time, i just notice that they're moving props around this year. last year, that wasn't the case. 

for me, anyway. who knows what the judges are thinking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Back from the theater in Honolulu.

First, my rant...

In the movie “Field of Dreams” Costner’s character was told to “Build it, and they will come.” In DCI it’s “Lay down a tarp, and they will trip on it.” Why oh why do designers insist on using grounded tarps ** if you know performers are going to be marching back and forth over them **?? I don’t care how good you are, it ain’t safe!

I have judged or watched too many shows where casualties happen when an Attack Tarp runs amok. Case in point: tonight’s hapless victim was a poor Cavie tuba that went down by the back sideline as soon as he hit the red strip nearly perpendicular, then the tubas had to come all the way back to the front. That kid looked like he was still favoring his leg a bit in the following camera close up. 

Lots of great performances marred by mic issues. All I want to say to their users is hey, you voted for ‘em. 

Dennis didn’t look or sound particularly well, almost as if it was “just get me through this.” Then he stepped out and let Will take some of the interviews. 

Best moment was before Bloo’s stepoff: “Don’t wrinkle your jacket!”....and then Sam  carefully folds it and lays it on the podium. Lots of laughs in our theater. 

Big spontaneous cheers and applause for Cadets *during* closer ((gasp!) “OMG they’re doing it!!”) and afterward! Lots of tears, myself included.

Teared up at the short SCVC clip and the close up of the trumpet player that I’m 95% certain was my kid (face was obscured but the hairstyle was his.) 

Choked up at The Horn Snap; I saw a number of heads in the theater do a headbang when it hit. 

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, brassboy said:

So I'm not at all a percussion guy (as you may guess from my username), but wow--did Mandarins percussion really do that poorly today to earn 18th in achievement?

Based on seeing them at 3 shows and a lot in late June- early July, and how dirty their snare line was,  I'd say that sounds about right.  I'd say every line that was above them was probably correct, except I'd say Vanguard Cadets should have been above them too, based on seeing them in a show and a lot. Mandarins are real lucky that their GE and guard scores are top 12, because visual, brass and drums scores are out of the top 12.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Actually, the take on Crown's MMs being the Beast sort of made sense for me.  And it helped me pinpoint why it seems the show lacks GE despite the Brass and now Percussion strengths.  "Here's a section doing something beastly". "Here's another section doing something else that's beastly in a different way."  "And here's yet another beastly type of thing."  Yet, it doesn't go anywhere other than a brief interlude for the ballad where "Beasts need lovin' too!"  I'm so used to a Crown show telling a fabulous story (Out of This World, Inferno, Relentless) or making some philosophical/artistic point (E-MC2, It is) that this beast thing just seems so loose in how it's supposed to tie the show together.

Like the Dude’s rug?

3 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Like the Dude’s rug?

20th anniversary observed by TCM last weekend.

The Crown abides...

3 hours ago, TRacer said:

Dennis didn’t look or sound particularly well, almost as if it was “just get me through this.” Then he stepped out and let Will take some of the interviews. 

During the tour premier show in June they said that Dennis was going to be having surgery.

Something to do with his voice.

From what they said back then,they were hoping,but weren't sure, if he would even be back for BLL.