DCI World Champs Prelims - Aug 9, 2018

9 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Yeah.  I think the sheets are field centric.  It's not a bad thing... It's just idiomatic, and Bloo bucked the idiom a bit more than others at the top.

Not just a field thing. It’s an idiom thing. Jazz was so underused for years in the activity that out of sight out of mind. Newer guys don’t have the appreciation for it or full understanding of the nuance and subtlety because for the last 20 years pit scoring has been about depth and density and runs runs runs. Even in the education settings you don’t see jazz for vibe or marimba taught like it used to be

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Back from the theater.

Some thoughts:

3. Percussion judge is an ###.  He almost took out BD's characters as they ran to enter the painting at the end.  And was grinning like an idiot about it.  I think last year or the year before didn't he actually run THROUGH two guard members doing some duet move at one point?  He needs to be taken off the field judge rotation.

Common theme. No percussion judge in dci gets called out like this guy does. His feedback must be incredible because he’s going to hurt someone 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

On the cinema-cast, during BD's show, I repeatedly heard weird noises, which sounded to me like someone else in the stadium was using the same frequency as some of their wireless microphones.

Did anyone else hear this?

Did not make it to the theater, but have two ongoing observations:

1.  Wireless mic technology does not work consistently.  (I will note, though, that corps have less frequent problems than show announcers using wireless mics.)

2.  Corps have so many field mics, and crank them so strong in the mix, that at times they pick up other nearby sounds (for instance, judges talking into their own recorders).

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

1.  Wireless mic technology does not work consistently.  (I will note, though, that corps have less frequent problems than show announcers using wireless mics.)

Did we NOT just go through this last year? (Cough cough CROWN cough cough)

I really hope it doesn't mess with Olivia from Bluecoats...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think Colts should have passed Academy tonite.  It is way too late in season for crooked files (Do they still teach 'cover down'?), members missing their dot, and interval problems.  The baritones looked like they were marching a hole half the time, and not the other half.  And it wasn't because there was a solo bari going on.

I think they had an injury in that section just a few days ago.

7 hours ago, fanman said:

The lowlight was finding out that the MMs are the Beast. What?? 

Maybe it would help to see them up close.  The members really ARE the beast.  I saw them live! four days ago and my seats at Tiger Stadium were super close to the field. 

I didn't take note of every member but the color guard made intense, beast-like faces.  Their uniforms certainly are made to convey the beast theme.

The members BEING the beast seems to be the look the staff is going for.

Edited by wvu80

11 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I think they had an injury in that section just a few days ago.

I was there for their final outdoor show in Buffalo when one of their baris got what looked like a bad back spasm toward the end of the Brahms. Didn’t perform the rest of the show and had to get off the field with the help of staff. Wonder if the injury was too severe for him to perform yesterday.

20 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Did we NOT just go through this last year? (Cough cough CROWN cough cough)

I really hope it doesn't mess with Olivia from Bluecoats...

Amazingly, I don’t think Bloo has had a single major electronics problem all summer.

Having said that, I really hope it doesn’t happen over the next 2 days. Knocking on wood with my fingers crossed.

On 8/8/2018 at 9:41 PM, CrownBariDad said:

Ok -- the Colts will be in Seattle for the Thursday night game. What's the over/under for there being a Colts logo on the field?  Anyone checked?

oh, those colts. I thought you were referring to The Colts from Dubuque.

• Haha 1