DCI World Champs Prelims - Aug 9, 2018

Just now, KVG_DC said:

Anyone else getting a big white box upper left on Flo?

Oh there it goes away... sigh.

Yep, I had it too.

OK I love the show, but why can’t they give that painter a pallet and a brush.

2 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Another Clair de Lune!

Tuning in the upper brass was very sketchy there...

Sorry, I just can never get into Spartans' shows. I readily acknowledge they are STRONG this year, and large, and that color guard is on fire! But my usual complaint with them remains: they don't produce quality full ensemble brass sounds, especially when following rich lines like LAStars, 7Regiment, & Guardians. I get it, visual is their strong caption, and I totally see why they receive the scores in that caption that they do...it's just hard for me to listen past that spread & thin brass sound. That Claire de Lune impact is just not my idea (or a traditional pedagogical idea) of excellent balance & blend.

One area where I have always wished to see improvements out of the Spartans is in their brass performance.  I think they've really turned it up a notch this year.  This is probably the best sounding Spartans brass I can remember hearing, even dating back to their Div 2 championship days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake W. said:

Sorry, I just can never get into Spartans' shows. I readily acknowledge they are STRONG this year, and large, and that color guard is on fire! But my usual complaint with them remains: they don't produce quality full ensemble brass sounds, especially when following rich lines like LAStars, 7Regiment, & Guardians. I get it, visual is their strong caption, and I totally see why they receive the scores in that caption that they do...it's just hard for me to listen past that spread & thin brass sound. That Claire de Lune impact is just not my idea (or a traditional pedagogical idea) of excellent balance & blend.

Hah, I literally just replied saying how I've noticed a substantial improvement this year.  It has historically been a weakness, I agree, but I do notice a lot of improvement out of them this year especially.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Musicman1084
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Anyone else getting a big white box upper left on Flo?

Oh there it goes away... sigh.

same here.