"Big, Loud And Live" Roll Call

7 hours ago, East9900 said:

I have been using Big, Loud and Live as a way to bring new fans to drum corps. 

Last year, I was able to get one of my coworkers to go and had never heard of drum corps. She was absolutely amazed, and that was for 15th place! By the end of the night, she was sold.

This year, she is coming along with her husband, daughter, grandson (just got into marching band in high school- he's a sax player), best friend and best friend's daughter. In addition, I've been able to get two more coworkers and one of their sisters to also come to the show. That's 8 more people than last year. 

We will be watching from Christiansburg, VA. The preview show was packed and I hope tomorrow will be no different.

As excited as I am to be going, I'm almost more excited to be sharing this activity with them and getting to watch their reactions to these incredible shows! I'll try to post and update and let you know how it went.

I challenge you to find at least one person to come to the show tomorrow. It's a great way to bring new fans into the fold.

I know that the true experience is a live show, but for some people that know nothing about it can be a challenge. Telling them they only have to go to the theater has made it that much easier to get them involved. 

I brought a friend to the the first BL&L in 2004. She fell asleep about halfway through. I remember thinking myself then that drum corps was much less impressive on the screen, so I decided never to waste the time of newbies with such a long and impersonal show.

I've had much more luck taking new people to live performances. But my aunt and uncle joined me Monday at Massillon, and only after we were in our seats did they tell me that they'd have to leave about halfway through because he needed to be up before 5 a.m. for work the next day. Got them to stay through Boston, at least, but imagine having a free ticket to see Bluecoats and Santa Clara Vanguard this year and skipping them.

The theater in Fresno- whatever it’s called. Regal or something? I have no clue 

Anyway, I'll be at the Cinemark in Valley View, OH (just south of Cleveland). After being shut out at Crocker Park in Westlake, OH last year, which shocked me, I bought my ticket in advance for the first time, but as of a couple hours ago, there were still lots of open seats in the fairly small Valley View auditorium. I didn't check to see how Crocker Park was selling.

Breckinridge Village in Little Rock

Bridgeport Regal Cinemas, Lake Oswego, Oregon.  Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, tedrick said:

Went to the season opener at Regal Eagan 16 in Eagan MN - the sound was really low - asked the manager 2 x to turn it up - he was worried about damaging his equipment -- 

I would not recommend this location for Big, Loud & Live

Hello!  The name of the show is 'Big Loud & Live'...  goodness.  Fire that manager!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

It's weird... so many people on these threads, every year, talk about how their theater auditoriums are full, or close to full... but the one we've gone to for years has never been close to sold out.

Honestly, we kinda like it that way. It's almost like a private screening.  :laughing:

The one that hit home was 2012.

Guard Kids from a HS hard core heckled the "Avian" guard costumes from Blue Knights.

That was when I got set to thinking. Everyone says they do these things because it's relevant to the kids, we want kids to like DCI, the bleep with you old people...

Yet... these kids were out-heckling me....  said some nasty stuff. The worst I got at one of these was '07 with "This I Believe" and I begged the friend I went with to please shoot me. Aunt Mabel sitting next to me wasn't amused.

But these kids weren't hip to that jive. My thoughts were that they were calling the Emperor out as buck/stark naked as all get-out. I'm thankful things got righted again in that way, very thankful... but yeah... my experiences in Harrisburg have been less than stellar, and maybe in part because I was watching in a real dip of unawesomeness except for Spartacus, 007, Caravan...  a few others....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

Hello!  The name of the show is 'Big Loud & Live'...  goodness.  Fire that manager!

Our first order of business, every year, is to ask the theater manager to crank up the volume in our auditorium.  The managers at our viewing spot have been pretty cooperative regarding this.

• Like 1