"Big, Loud And Live" Roll Call

15 hours ago, DCIDADDIO said:

Well let us know what they think of DCI. I'm always curious about the thoughts of the newbies at their first show. I remember I was like....JEEZUS!

They really did enjoy it! I was happy- especially for the amount of time the broadcast took up (we were there from beginning to end). Theater was kind of dead but got to sit next to some nice people. 

Same issue where we were in Maryland... screen went blank just before the last scores were announced.

Also, the audio seemed uneven/unbalanced  for BD and SCV in particular. For one thing, we could barely hear the SCV soloists, which sucks because we really wanted to hear that baritone player.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

South Shore Cinema in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, a southern suburb of Milwaukee.  Great time!  The sound was decently loud and they dimmed the lights right away (which doesn't normally happen until a few corps in).  However, like a few people before me expressed, the stream cut out just before scores!  Maybe half the audience had left by that point anyway, but the rest of us were disappointed, of course.  A man sitting in front of me was looking at his phone and shouted out, "I have scores!"  And he read them all out to everyone, which was super cool.

Attendance at my theater was very good, but the crowd seemed a bit subdued to me compared to recent years.  I really enjoy it when the crowd is more lively and eager to applaud.  It was like crickets through Colts and Academy, but after Spirit I made the move to applaud, and people followed suit (I just love Spirit this year!).  I think everyone got applause at the end after that point, with only a few corps getting some spontaneous short bursts of applause at other points.  But it definitely was more of a polite applause and not the excited applause I've seen in years past.  Not sure what's up with that.  This has probably been the most exciting year of DCI in a really long time, imho, so I don't know why the crowd was kind of zombied out tonight.

One thing worth noting is that here in the Milwaukee area, the Cadets usually get a very cool reception (as does BD), but tonight the Cadets probably got one of the strongest crowd responses.  I've always been a HUGE Cadets fan and have always felt out of place in the theaters here since fandom seems somewhat regional in the midwest.  But tonight, the fans were on board with the Cadets.  And guess what?  They also seemed to really enjoy BD for perhaps the first time ever. :thumbup:  Overall a wonderful evening of drum corps!  But come on, let's get a little more crowd enthusiasm next year, Oak Creek, WI! 

As a side note, I loved the bit about the woman music teacher in the Bronx (who marched BAC) who won the Grammy.  The crowd definitely LOVED hearing her story, the love she has for her students, and her desire to spread the life skills she learned from drum corps to very low-income kids who perhaps normally wouldn't get to experience such a dedicated teacher like her.  It really pulled at the heartstrings.  If she ever someday wants to come to Milwaukee, we could certainly put her awesomeness to great use here in our inner city schools!  <3 

Had a problem in Paramus,N.J.

Normally at DCi Fathom Shows there are trivia questions on the screen,then previews of

other Fathom Events.

Last night the screen was dark.

Around 6:40,still  nothing.

I went to find a manager.

The theater's schedule showed something else in the theater for 

6:30.

One kid said,well if the show was supposed to start at 6:30 you're only missing the previews.

When I pointed out it was a live broadcast they got a bit concerned.

Eventually they got the broadcast on,but we missed most of the Colts.

12 hours ago, grenadasmoothie said:

About 40 in Milford CT at this point 

After things kicked off more people kept walking in, so by about 7:00 we probably had about 40 or so in Lisbon, CT as well. I was wearing a 7th Regiment T-shirt and a New London Surfers Drum and Bugle Corps alumnus came up and talked to me (founding organization for 7th Regiment).

So that's a way better turnout than the last time I went 3 years ago. That year I think there literally was only 8 people in the theatre all evening.

There were no technical issues at all in our theatre, everything went smooth, but we did hear the same sounds during BD show that people mentioned in the prelim thread:

"I repeatedly heard weird noises, which sounded to me like someone else in the stadium was using the same frequency as some of their wireless microphone"

and they also cut the broadcast right before scores were announced as well.

Edited by kkrepps

6 hours ago, mfrontz47 said:

They really did enjoy it! I was happy- especially for the amount of time the broadcast took up (we were there from beginning to end). Theater was kind of dead but got to sit next to some nice people. 

Good to hear! At DFW now and there is SVC, Crown, BD and Bloo fans waiting to board to Indy! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, old drmmjr said:

Same thing happened in Columbia, Maryland. Luckily I had gotten a periscope notification and was able to play top 6 scores for the people sitting around me. 

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Our broadcast in Valley View, OH ended before scores were announced, just as they were talking about the Hall of Fame inductees.

Did that happen to anyone else?

Here’s what happened...  A technician working for the company that transmits our signal to the theaters cut the signal 15 minutes before the end of our transmission window.  Every theater on the network was affected.  It was human error and I assure you, I will be addressing it with them today. 

If there’s any consolation, it comes in the fact that all the corps were done and we were just waiting for scores.  It certainly eliminated my fist pump at the end of an otherwise successful broadcast.  My thanks to my crew, the corps and all the fans!

Edited by TRBlair
  • Thanks 1

It was a great night at the AMC in Eden Prairie, MN. Video was crisp all night and the sound, well, I might have to bring earplugs next year. They take the "Loud" part in Big, Loud & Live very seriously. The crowd was pretty subdued, but there was a buzz with all the EPHS band kids in the audience when they showed the picture before the brief recap of the Madison Scouts and it was a tuba player that graduated in June that they all knew.

The biggest bummers were the audio issues with BD that kept interrupting the flow of their show (sounded like wireless mic bleed through) and the SCV soloists being almost impossible to hear.

5 hours ago, TRBlair said:

Here’s what happened...  A technician working for the company that transmits our signal to the theaters cut the signal 15 minutes before the end of our transmission window.  Every theater on the network was affected.  It was human error and I assure you, I will be addressing it with them today. 

If there’s any consolation, it comes in the fact that all the corps were done and we were just waiting for scores.  It certainly eliminated my fist pump at the end of an otherwise successful broadcast.  My thanks to my crew, the corps and all the fans!

Thanks for chiming in! You're right that if this was going to happen, it happened at the best possible time.