New High Score Record?

16 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

If the actual score is irrelevant (i argue otherwise)  and it only  matters what the spread is, then why not give the best corps a 100 each time at each show and scale down to everyone else? That wouldn’t change from week one to finals. The top corps at each show would get a 100. I think that’s a terrible idea but I mention it to highlight that the score does mean something, independent of the spread.  SVC has been the best for most of the season, yet there their score goes up as they and everyone gets better so judges are putting a number on them that is independent of spread.  They were number 1 and went from 80 to 90 to 95 and it didn’t matter what the corps below them were doing.  It was a number that was measuring talent. I think it’s  logical and it’s why people talk about and compare numbers even between different shows. The only variable that does throw a wrench is the subjectivity of different judges when comparing.  

Back to the question, no I don’t think we’ll see a record score this year.  

top scores are driven by what is behind them, as well as their own improvement but It's like saying a perfect score in a sub-caption means perfect and it doesn't it just means the best. You are right about corps getting better and scores going up BUT there is a small window of numbers to work with. This I will admit is not shared by many, especially those who numbers mean a lot ( we've all been there ) Do we actually think even the best can actually score a 99 or above. I don't think so BUT it is a measuring tool for who is best and if there is a spread. A spread at the top could be so little yet seems miles away.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

top scores are driven by what is behind them, as well as their own improvement but It's like saying a perfect score in a sub-caption means perfect and it doesn't it just means the best. You are right about corps getting better and scores going up BUT there is a small window of numbers to work with. This I will admit is not shared by many, especially those who numbers mean a lot ( we've all been there ) Do we actually think even the best can actually score a 99 or above. I don't think so BUT it is a measuring tool for who is best and if there is a spread. A spread at the top could be so little yet seems miles away.

All good points.

Even though, for me, BD at Finals in 2014... except for that one glaring error by the color guard...was about as close to flawless across the board as I've ever seen. The point spread that night.... heck, all season... told the tale of their dominance.

Bottom line, though... I agree with you.  Drum corps is an activity whose shows are  performed by and judged by humans, who are not perfect.

So... the two of us can now go stand in the "we're-in-the-minority corner" on this topic. :tongue:

• Thanks 1

I've seen the top 6 this year, as good as shows are, I don't think anything can touch the score BD got in 2014. That was just spectacular.

• Like 1

It may be an SCV record score.

The high score is predicated on how good the corps below it are. If there are 8 really stellar drum lines, the top corps may get pushed to a perfect 10, whereas if there are only 4 truly great lines they might get a 9.8. Play that out across all captions.

There are a lot of terrific corps this year and they may very well push SCV close to or over 99

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mfrontz said:

I've been listening to Vanguard all day, and I saw them Monday night. I can't rule it out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flammaster said:

They better be on because BD is having none of it. I think it's going to be a real squeaker. 

19 years ago SCV came up and tied them for first on finals night. 

Maybe BD will return the favor this year (although ties are far less likely under the current scoring system).  

I definitely think a 99 is possible. BD and Bluecoats have strong shows that are going to score very well, but I think SCV is likely to beat them both in most captions.

It's going to be very hard to top BD 2014's number though, with 20s from every GE and visual judge at finals. It's maybe conceivable that SCV 2018 could top the music number from BD 2014 (29.650).

52 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

NOPE, because SCV will not win VP, Guard, or Brass on finals night. 

Are you from the future? I really want that confidence and use it to know how my future is going to turn out. That's like saying BD is guaranteed to have a better finals run than the first two nights. Nothing is guaranteed until it actually happens. Not saying that what you said will or won't happen, but nothing has been written on those score sheets yet.

• Like 1