Vanguard Yell

I'm anxiously awaiting whether the audience will put one in or not. It seems like the design staff planned for it to go after the mello sustain near the end of the show. In previous years when the yell was a "thing", I seem to recall that the audience would have been doing it for most of the summer vs. right at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, zmalsom said:

I'm anxiously awaiting whether the audience will put one in or not. It seems like the design staff planned for it to go after the mello sustain near the end of the show. In previous years when the yell was a "thing", I seem to recall that the audience would have been doing it for most of the summer vs. right at the end of the season.

I think that's completely accurate. People have been so absorbed w/ the show and waiting for specific moments like "here it comes" that the anticipation of elements has taken the place of the yell. There's just so freaking much going on!

Would be nice if they can get a "Vanguard" yell in there.  This is a once-in-a-decade show if you ask me.  The design and performance of this show is just off-the-charts, and as long as they nail it on Finals night they should win easily. No doubt this will be talked about in the same air with the greatest of DCI shows of all time...at least in my opinion. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Would be nice if they can get a "Vanguard" yell in there.  This is a once-in-a-decade show if you ask me.  The design and performance of this show is just off-the-charts, and as long as they nail it on Finals night they should win easily. No doubt this will be talked about in the same air with the greatest of DCI shows of all time...at least in my opinion. 

I submit that the inclusion of a "Vanguard" yell would be antithetical to the concept of this year's show. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

doesnt need it

^^^this^^^

• Like 3

I agree that the show doesn't NEED the yell, but do you think it would accentuate or detract from the legacy? The Finals recording is what will live on in perpetuity, so the court of public opinion demands an answer!

... or have someone from SCV chime in and say whether the yell is something they want or not. I seem to recall someone from the staff back in 2009 or something asking DCP to not do the yell.

Edited by zmalsom

A few weeks ago, a DCP contributor (sorry, can't remember who) made the observation that most shows tend to be on a continuum between feeling audience-focused, e.g. Bloo and Cavies, or technique and judge-focused, e.g. BD and Crown. But SCV this year is neither; they are intensely INNER-focused.  The rest of us can simply marvel at their phenomenon, like watching a star go super-nova. I agree, leading me to see the Yell from the audience as superfluous. Better just to dance along with the dub step, like I do!

• Like 1