I&E, should it be retired?

16 minutes ago, BostonLUck said:

I don't disagree that members from 25 corps showed up; however, let's take a look at how that breaks down before we complete write-off what I was getting at:

The "attending" corps / members:

• Blue Devils
  • Oregon Crusaders
  • Spartans
  • Legends
  • Blue Devils B
  • Colts
  • Seattle Cascades
  • Raiders
  • Pacific Crest
  • Santa Clara Vanguard
  • River City Rhythm
  • Spirit of Atlanta  (possible - but doubtful they'll jump Crossmen)
  • Music City
  • Pioneer
  • Golden Empire
  • Gold
  • Golden Empire
  • Louisiana Stars
  • Troopers
  • Shadow
  • The Diplomats
  • Mandarins
  • Impulse
  • 7th Regiment
  • Jubal

Okay, so I've put the corps in bold, who are still working towards finals' placement (Spirit isn't in bold, but they're in there too... if Crossmen crash & burn). So out of 25 corps, only 3ish are still working towards a finals' placement. Now, let me stop you before you say, "Well that's not fair Blue Devils B is technically working towards a Finals' placement still !!!" Yeah. So are Seattle Cascades & Pioneer, smh. You know what I mean! 

Now, currently 24 World Class are recognized by DCI and 22 Open Class are recognized by DCI, and 1 International Corps, which is 47 total corps, and we only saw a turn-out of 25 corps. Which calculates to 53% of the active corps showing up. If we were in grade school, that's a real solid F. 

So, returning to the original point of this post: do we retire I&E, and if not, how do we get that "F" to more like a "B" or "A"??? How is it only 3 of the top 12 World Class are attending --- and technically 1 of those 3 are the hosts for the event. So 2 of the top 12? Yikes.

Hopefully this makes better sense....  

I don’t take it the hard way but so what. That’s a BIG list of corps. You specifically pointed out the better ones. This is an individual showcase that I think it’s really good to showcase that. If you follow BD it’s not just about winning it’s also about teaching. 

Some corps take it more seriously than others.  Plus, the kids almost never have time to prepare something the way they'd like.  I know one year my son and a high brass friend played a duet at an outside venue.  A gust of wind came and blew their music sheets hither and yon.  They didn't have the music memorized at ALL so it went badly.  But it gave them something to laugh about on the bus afterwards.  LOL.

5 hours ago, brassboy said:

As long as ANY members are participating, why the heck would you want to retire it? 

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, afd said:

So what’s the issue? 

YOU I guess. 

looking for an issue. so just please move along. its called he who has the coin rules. etc etc. so go find another target . 

Edited by E3D
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Bone-Tone Lord said:

Maybe if it wasn’t right during finals week, more corps would participate.

You know that's a very obvious answer, but a darn good one. I agree. Wonder if I&E could be moved to a different point in the season?  But then again, the competitive nature of DCI almost demands every minute of the student's time.

This has come up before and most likely will again. It's not mandatory, so if people want to participate and it works for the corps, I don't see a problem.

2 hours ago, BostonLUck said:

You know that's a very obvious answer, but a darn good one. I agree. Wonder if I&E could be moved to a different point in the season?  But then again, the competitive nature of DCI almost demands every minute of the student's time.

and there's the answer

What was the original intent of I&E? Relatively new drum corps fan here, I just wonder what the reasoning for having the contest is! When so much time is dedicated to the corps’ show, why would an individual want to put even more time into perfecting a solo/ensemble piece? That being said, I have seen videos of Crown’s “Creamsicles” (if you haven’t, look it up!) and that was super fun to watch! But I&E definitely seems like something that wouldn’t be encouraged because of the investment of time and possibility of overplaying. (At least coming from a brass guy, working on a solo after hours of block rehearsal would be very fatiguing.)

I think DCI derailed I&E and it never got back on track.  Several years ago DCI moved I and E to the middle of summer, I think the Texas Regional?  That took the wind out of it.  It was moved back to finals week and has never been the same.

Other contributing factors might be that corps aren't allowed to play after they perform on show days, so working things out in the lot just doesn't happen.  I've heard this is a thing.

Corps also head out after shows, so the few hang out hours just aren't there anymore.  Again, time was spent socializing and working on solos.

I know kids at the corps I work with have interest, but the corps really doesn't promote or even seem to want kids to do I and E.  I couldn't tell you the last year they let someone do it.

• Like 1