I&E, should it be retired?

So, looking at the recaps it's obvious that the majority of the corps no longer invest time, or encourage, their students to participate. So should I&E be retired, and possibly those funds redirected to something that more of the corps will participate in?

Thoughts? 

It's too bad many corps won't give up a few rehearsal hours to allow their members to participate, but I don't think that's a reason to kill off Performer's Showcase for those that do. Also redirect what funds elsewhere? System Blue (BD) is funding it.

Edited by dcsnare93

31 minutes ago, brassboy said:

As long as ANY members are participating, why the heck would you want to retire it? 

Oh, I don't disagree. I think all performers should be given a chance to perform, but unfortunately it's not always that simple: 

Do you think DCI would schedule a show with 3 corps? Or BOA with 3 bands ? How about WGI?

I guess I'm just missing the old school I&E that was truly a representation of DCI's best - hundreds of participants, rowdy audiences - now THAT was a showcase!

But heck if BD is paying for it... LOL.

2 hours ago, BostonLUck said:

So, looking at the recaps it's obvious that the majority of the corps no longer invest time, or encourage, their students to participate. So should I&E be retired, and possibly those funds redirected to something that more of the corps will participate in?

Thoughts? 

I'm not sure how one concludes that corps no longer encourage members to take part in this event.  Looking over the schedule, it is full, and members from at least 25 different corps participated.

2 hours ago, Photographer Jim said:

I'm not sure how one concludes that corps no longer encourage members to take part in this event.  Looking over the schedule, it is full, and members from at least 25 different corps participated.

I don't disagree that members from 25 corps showed up; however, let's take a look at how that breaks down before we complete write-off what I was getting at:

The "attending" corps / members:

• Blue Devils
  • Oregon Crusaders
  • Spartans
  • Legends
  • Blue Devils B
  • Colts
  • Seattle Cascades
  • Raiders
  • Pacific Crest
  • Santa Clara Vanguard
  • River City Rhythm
  • Spirit of Atlanta  (possible - but doubtful they'll jump Crossmen)
  • Music City
  • Pioneer
  • Golden Empire
  • Gold
  • Golden Empire
  • Louisiana Stars
  • Troopers
  • Shadow
  • The Diplomats
  • Mandarins
  • Impulse
  • 7th Regiment
  • Jubal

Okay, so I've put the corps in bold, who are still working towards finals' placement (Spirit isn't in bold, but they're in there too... if Crossmen crash & burn). So out of 25 corps, only 3ish are still working towards a finals' placement. Now, let me stop you before you say, "Well that's not fair Blue Devils B is technically working towards a Finals' placement still !!!" Yeah. So are Seattle Cascades & Pioneer, smh. You know what I mean! 

Now, currently 24 World Class are recognized by DCI and 22 Open Class are recognized by DCI, and 1 International Corps, which is 47 total corps, and we only saw a turn-out of 25 corps. Which calculates to 53% of the active corps showing up. If we were in grade school, that's a real solid F. 

So, returning to the original point of this post: do we retire I&E, and if not, how do we get that "F" to more like a "B" or "A"??? How is it only 3 of the top 12 World Class are attending --- and technically 1 of those 3 are the hosts for the event. So 2 of the top 12? Yikes.

Hopefully this makes better sense....  

4 hours ago, BostonLUck said:

Ah, didn't realize BD was fronting the costs (which explains their heavy participation).

agree. 

like does anyone else think WTF?