Hi Guyit's been 42 years! Now drinking from a firehose!

Hi Guys! It's been many years since I've taken the field and I've been invited to join my high schools alumni band when homecoming comes this fall. I tried to march last year but the equipment is so different than it was in the '70's the only available loaner drums were fitted for slender wee folks, I ended up playing on a mounted drum on the sidelines. Now where's the fun in that?! This year, my Son gifted me a Pearl Airframe carrier and we got it attached to the drum ok. Problem is, I am not a wee skinny high school student anymore, and I can't find any kind of instructions on how to adjust and fit this thing to my more (ahem) mature figure and aging spine. I attempted to contact Pearl to wait on hold for a goodly long time, so failing that I found your site and figured this would be the ideal place to ask for tips!

I assume I must try and bend the frame a bit to go over my shoulders and to pass over my ample belly, but dang! that is some really tough aluminum for this old man to wrangle with.

Thanks So much for your help!

Rich

Granville High School, Class of '79

Hi, Rich.

Disclaimer: I am not a drummer, but...did a little research here including reading a couple of customer reviews. While this carrier has a lot of advantages, one of them is not the ability to adjust to fit all body types.

I suggest you either return it or donate it to the HS band program of your choice, then contact the folks at either Lone Star Percussion or Innovative Percussion for their expert advice and recommendation.

There are other carriers available more suitable for your purpose. Pearl may even have a better model.

Good luck, and rock on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Guys! I am taking the frame to a local machine shop and we will work on the radius of the shoulder parts and then change the profile of the front section. Dang! that 's some tough tough aluminum they made this frame from! Working on my chops in the living room while the wife is off to work. I'm not sure the piece of linoleum sound of the drum is much to my taste, but I find It's real difficult to work more snare sound into it. I have all the parts of a Premier Pipe drum from maybe a little after my High school time, I've got it mostly together and it sounds pretty good with just the top snares. I'd probably have to use a sling to carry that one. My son is a music teacher in a nearby down so I'm sure all the drums I build won't go to waste.

Rich

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Rich2865!  I'm not a drummer either.  I marched color guard, but I did date a drummer, once upon a time. LOL  Man, you guys drum 24/7, on most any surface.  The two years I marched drum corps, I heard drums in my head constantly.  I even bought a practice pad to bang on just because it felt so pleasurable.  Congrats on marching your alumni band!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys! I got the carrier back and it fits a treat now. He radiused the front carrier bars so they follow the contour of my belly. The mount now fits firmly and solidly on my pelvis to bear the weight instead of my shoulders and back. This is going to be great fun!

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40507091_10217036626178018_4878161242763558912_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=69fe39433d4ee198796ef3798085caa3&oe=5BEECF25