2019 Madison Scouts!

4 hours ago, xandandl said:

Your comment presumes that this man has not grown in those years since and discredits his evaluations of current BOA, WGI, Texas bands, and other places where he has judged. Ask yourself, are you being more closeminded than what you may be limiting him to?

Please produce recaps where Jimmy is listed as a judge for BOA, WGI, or a Texas band contest within the past ten years. If such exists, how many? Has he been doing such consistently the past decade? If a Texas band contest, is it a UIL event? or a locally sponsored contest where being asked to judge may not be an indication that someone posses knowledge of current design prowess or those who can produce such? 

15 minutes ago, derbydawg said:

Please produce recaps where Jimmy is listed as a judge for BOA, WGI, or a Texas band contest within the past ten years. If such exists, how many? Has he been doing such consistently the past decade? If a Texas band contest, is it a UIL event? or a locally sponsored contest where being asked to judge may not be an indication that someone posses knowledge of current design prowess or those who can produce such? 

Why don't you do the research for yourself, you'll find it out there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

you cant just keep beating 20 year old dead horses. it wont work in todays DCI.

SO WHAT....I want to be entertained...I wouldn't even care where they placed..I don't think that EVERY change these last 40 or more years has been for the better...

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Liahona said:

SO WHAT....I want to be entertained...I wouldn't even care where they placed..I don't think that EVERY change these last 40 or more years has been for the better...

It's not just about someone being entertained, That is a very subjective point. There may have been many entertained by the programs Scouts presented in the past several years and many not. Same can be said of the top corps in finals.

This is still a competition and placements do matter ( depending on one's goals ) and affect many things including, alumni support, new members as well as retaining members, staff staying, or quality staff wanting to work with the corps, money, endorsements etc.

With that said you are right about not every change has been for the better over the years BUT standing still and not making efforts to set new standards, exploring possibilities, maybe taking old and making it new, and doing whatever actually may work for this group must be the priority. 

I have said it many times here Madison needs to not just look at what has left in way of MMs and staff and directors BUT what stays that might be pushing some very good people out. Not doing this might just repeat old thoughts or just create, same old same old,  as far as issues

Edited by GUARDLING

9 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

It's not just about someone being entertained, That is a very subjective point. There may have been many entertained by the programs Scouts presented in the past several years and many not. Same can be said of the top corps in finals.

This is still a competition and placements do matter ( depending on one's goals ) and affect many things including, alumni support, new members as well as retaining members, staff staying, or quality staff wanting to work with the corps, money, endorsements etc.

With that said you are right about not every change has been for the better over the years BUT standing still and not making efforts to set new standards, exploring possibilities, maybe taking old and making it new, and doing whatever actually may work for this group must be the priority. 

You can't tell me with a STRAIGHT FACE...That there is not one person that watched LIVE Madison Scouts '95 OR '99 and was NOT blown away.  Honestly, a lot of the stuff performed these days is a real snooze fest...not everything...but A LOT...It is what it is though...BUT I can always find something I like in just about any show...

Perhaps entertained was not the word...a show that gets me to jump out of my seat...very few corps have done that to me in recent memory sans The Cadets and SCV....but the MS actually were one that for many years brought that RAW EMOTION to the table...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Liahona said:

You can't tell me with a STRAIGHT FACE...That there is not one person that watched LIVE Madison Scouts '95 OR '99 and was NOT blown away.  Honestly, a lot of the stuff performed these days is a real snooze fest...not everything...but A LOT...It is what it is though...BUT I can always find something I like in just about any show...

Perhaps entertained was not the word...a show that gets me to jump out of my seat...very few corps have done that to me in recent memory sans The Cadets and SCV....but the MS actually were one that for many years brought that RAW EMOTION to the table...

Of course, those years were entertaining, at least for me But yes I do know those who didn't buy the little girls screamers and the macho persona.  

Again you are personally saying what gets you up out of a seat BUT keep in mind it doesn't mean the person next to you will. It also doesn't mean they have reached criteria for moving forward or upward ( If that's what they want as a corps ) There have been many shows that people responded to for 1 reason or another over the years that didn't deserve upward movement and although to those on the outside upward movement might not mean anything within could be quite different.

Now a corps can choose to be anything they want BUT if  an upward movement is important to them there needs to be a lot more consideration as to why it is not happening. Show design and be 1 factor BUT there is a lot more there. 

29 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Honestly, a lot of the stuff performed these days is a real snooze fest...not everything...but A LOT...It is what it is though...B

I would agree. For me, most of the finalist corps were boring. A few outstanding, a few very good, and the rest boring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I have said it many times here Madison needs to not just look at what has left in way of MMs and staff and directors BUT what stays that might be pushing some very good people out. Not doing this might just repeat old thoughts or just create, same old same old,  as far as issues

agree. there's an underlying theme here for several years

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Liahona said:

You can't tell me with a STRAIGHT FACE...That there is not one person that watched LIVE Madison Scouts '95 OR '99 and was NOT blown away. 

For starters, I think you said the opposite of what you meant with that triple negative.  You think Madison was widely entertaining in those years, right?  (I sure do.)

Now, from what I have seen, Madison has tried to bring exactly that kind of content to current programs.  They literally did JCS again in 2016, and Spanish style music in 2018.  And those are the two years they got bumped out of finals. 

To be competitive in this era, you are forced to have a unifying theme.  Supporting that requires either a storyline, or excessive pre-recorded sound samples and narration (and judges will insist on adding more of it during the season).  Now you need props, and people climbing on them.  Solos must be amplified.  Standard uniforms and headgear are discouraged.  You cannot just play music and move around without at least adding an inexplicable giant wheel that rolls around very slowly (2014), or non-stop city noises blaring from the pit (2015), or whatever else you can think of that tickles the fancy of the judges.

The show design of 1995 would score a 19.95 in GE today.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1