2019 Madison Scouts!

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Not sure what you mean. Don't make a change, because the devil you don't know could end up being worse than the one you do know?  That kind of timidity is not a formula for success. Just because posters on DCP can't spit out a list of excellent people who would be outstanding replacements doesn't mean there aren't any. C'mon. 

you can't just fire them without someone capable and ready to take over. For all you or I know the board has been looking and hasn't found anyone qualified or even interested. But just firing them without a new hire waiting in the wings is lunacy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weedyweidenthal said:

Seems pretty obvious that the design of the shows that haven't made finals was the problem... The design team is gone and replaced. In 2008, a lot of us thought we were on the right track with the design team, and then they came out with Relampago. In 2010 we got the Mason Entertainment Group and everything was trending in the right direction. Jim had made it clear to a lot of people from the beginning that he was on board for 5 years. Now we've had 3 years of design issues. It's been shown over the last ten years that this leadership team is actually pretty #### good, but the on field product needs better designs. In fact, Dann Peterson was awarded Director of the Year in 2010 and Chris Komnick got the award in 2012. 

you also see a lot of musical chairs in the design team. Now is why is it people don't stay?

50 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

you also see a lot of musical chairs in the design team. Now is why is it people don't stay?

I can only speak about the years that I marched... 2008-2011. From what I understood when I was a rookie, the design team from 2008 had originally agreed to a three year commitment. 2009 was clearly a step backwards in design. We rarely saw the design team in 2009 and we were kind of left scrambling to fix the issues and it fell mostly to the caption heads to do work that I would consider design team obligations. They were replaced in 2010. I spoke with Jim Mason and Donnie Vandoren during the winter camps and I was told their intent was to be there for 5 years and get the corps back on the right track. Jim, being an alumnus, was doing it because of his passion for the corps and Donnie was there for his passion for the activity. My impression was that Donnie wanted to help as many corps as possible and that his belief was that 5 years was enough time to build a solid foundation and that he would then go on to another corps in need. After 2014 they had completed their 5 years and ready to move on. I think there was a lot of excitement for the design team that came in and the 2015 show seemed to show that they had accomplished their goal of bringing the Scouts back. I don't know what happened with the designs of the last 3 years. I think 2016 was a good concept with poor execution of the musical book. The last 2 years have been a bit weird and obviously not a lot of people have been pleased, so now they've been replaced again. I think many people that marched during the Mason years would have loved to see that era continue, but that wasn't the plan of those individuals. I am intrigued by the design team changes. The statements from Jim Elvord seem exciting, I just hope that the team follows through with the execution of the plans they've stated.

3 hours ago, weedyweidenthal said:

Seems pretty obvious that the design of the shows that haven't made finals was the problem... The design team is gone and replaced. In 2008, a lot of us thought we were on the right track with the design team, and then they came out with Relampago. In 2010 we got the Mason Entertainment Group and everything was trending in the right direction. Jim had made it clear to a lot of people from the beginning that he was on board for 5 years. Now we've had 3 years of design issues. It's been shown over the last ten years that this leadership team is actually pretty #### good, but the on field product needs better designs. In fact, Dann Peterson was awarded Director of the Year in 2010 and Chris Komnick got the award in 2012. 

I never thought Relampago was a hideous idea. It was a bit obscure and poorly conceived. How many drum corps fans are also familiar with Mondo Lucha? A niche activity conceived within a niche activity? Not a good recipe for success.

5 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Out of curiosity, should every other corps who didn't make Finals this year be firing their leadership too?  Is that the only metric of success?

The ED doesn't choose the program design, the program design team does, and all of those people from 2018 ARE gone, replaced by a bunch of 1970s/80s drum corps people (that should make the alums happy...until it doesn't) and a few promising 20-somethings joining the team. It's an unusual approach, but not a predictable one, and for that, the ED and CD probably deserve at least a little leeway in order for their hiring decisions to play out.

Wrong...Komnick and Peterson had NOTHING to do with these hires.  I'm told that all performance staff hires are now the responsibility of Mr. James Elvord.  What shows up on the field moving forward stops at the doorstep of Jimmy Elvord!

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

you can't just fire them without someone capable and ready to take over. For all you or I know the board has been looking and hasn't found anyone qualified or even interested. But just firing them without a new hire waiting in the wings is lunacy

Fact...They haven't been looking...

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

And who said they should just fire them without having a replacement?  Why the deflecting? I am saying it plainly. I think CK and DP need to be replaced.  If you disagree, fine. But don't try to turn the discussion into a strawman that doesn't exist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad75 said:

Fact...They haven't been looking...

Very predictable. Yet another rubber stamp board of directors?  Gee what a shock. 

2 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

I never thought Relampago was a hideous idea. It was a bit obscure and poorly conceived. How many drum corps fans are also familiar with Mondo Lucha? A niche activity conceived within a niche activity? Not a good recipe for success.

and the unis/costumes chosen didn't really help or give a Madison flair.