2019 Madison Scouts!

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

I'll play. I'm saying take responsibility ( i.e. step down). 

Anyway what happened to Anaheim Kingsmen in '75?  Anyone know?  And please don't hit me with, "this belongs in historical discussions".  So few people are here now anyway...

Good question. I have no idea, other than they went from top 3 to way out of it.

49 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Good question. I have no idea, other than they went from top 3 to way out of it.

DCX lists the official reason as “reorganizing its finances” as to why they took 1975 off. My guess is rebuilding a corps of that caliber after reorganizing is difficult. I do remember seeing Kingsmen at CYO Nationals in 1977 and folks predicting they were on a comeback. I also recall hearing some who were at prelims in Boulder being surprised they did not make finals. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I hear you but.... when a ship runs aground, the commanding officer takes the blame. Rightly. Wrongly. It doesn't matter. In most cases I think it's probably not the captain's fault at all. Nonetheless he/she takes the accountability. That's just the way it is. Similarly if a drum corps finishes well below expectations, is it entirely because of the executive director and / or director?  No. Probably not. But they need to take responsibility for it. That's where the buck stops, fair or not fair. 

let's be honest here...the ship has never fully righted since 1999. They haven't been top 4 since when? 2000, down low, 01 lower, 02 out. Massive changes. 03 back in then 07 and 09 hit, 08 barely making it. The Mason team comes in and they're back in, but not contending seriously during his years. A mixed bag since.

So really, since before Stewart left, it's been a mixed bag and not the success you claim it to have been. Sure, current leadership may not have helped, but they weren't handed a consistent contender for the title either. Too many people have expectations based on 20+ year old results. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Anyway what happened to Anaheim Kingsmen in '75?  Anyone know?  And please don't hit me with, "this belongs in historical discussions".  So few people are here now anyway...

Their ship ran aground.  In the spring, they cancelled their entire planned 1975 competitive season.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2018 at 12:57 PM, swmstom said:

If change in instructional/design staff is all the change we get, and it works for the better, then I'll be good.

With that said, the new arranger and his jazz background is leading to a thought that The Men will do jazz this summer. I'm typically not a huge fan of jazz shows under one condition. If Scouts do jazz...please please please at least give us some raunchy, dirty, filthy-style big-band jazz. No happy toe-tappin stuff. I want to feel like I need a shower. Ha ha. Maynard, Connick, even some Buble stuff like "Feeling Good".  

Just my two cents.

YES. PLEASE!

3 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

How about Latin Jazz?

As much as I love the Latin Jazz shows from the corps, I think there would be far too much comparison to some of the great shows in the past. I'd rather see a straight ahead powerful jazz show. Maynard, Sebesky, Buddy Rich, etc. would be more what I would hope for personally.

• Like 1

How about a re - listen to MF Horn.

I have an original CD, & the sound quality of it is absolutely superb, for being a non remastered copy.

The sound quality of the original 1971 album was unbelievable.

Can't go wrong with high quality ''old school'' analog !!

Edited by I74
Screwed up. Album was relesed in 71, not 70. ''oops''

15 hours ago, tesmusic said:

As much as I love the Latin Jazz shows from the corps, I think there would be far too much comparison to some of the great shows in the past. I'd rather see a straight ahead powerful jazz show. Maynard, Sebesky, Buddy Rich, etc. would be more what I would hope for personally.

I looked at Madison’s repertoires on DCX and while some of the most popular shows included Latin Jazz, they were not always their highest placing shows, though I do agree Latin Jazz is what is often associated with Madison. However Madison did do a straight ahead Jazz show in 2014 and it stagnated. 

Over the last week I’ve been in a nostalgic mood and have watched bits and pieces of DVD’s from the 70’s and 80’s. What made Madison so great in those days is audience connection. In 1980 Madison placed 6th, but the audience went wild throughout the show. In 1988 they placed first, and the audience response seemed the same. Different shows, and 1988 was a better show, but both years they owned the audience. RecentyI’ve seen audience connection in 2011, 2013, and 2015. It was somewhat missing in 2012, 2014, 2016-2018. Each of these shows had moments, no question, but it wasn’t sustained. 

I don’t think bringing back oldies but goodies is the solution, though the out of the box musical choices of 2017 an 2018 are not the answer either. A “straight ahead Jazz show” may be the answer, but whatever the choice, an in your face audience connection needs to happen and perhaps some of the new staff faces from Madison’s past May have a solution. 

• Like 1