2019 Madison Scouts!

On 11/19/2018 at 9:52 PM, DCVNVET said:

I hope the Scouts have a resurgence in 2019.  They were among the first Corps I watched in competition as a little kid in SM, WI, "Spectacle of Music". On the starting line!!!!!!  That's where I got hooked  for life.  Best Wishes MYNWA!

Ah South Milwaukee.  I remember that show well.

Terri I hope not the ones I was at  late 50's :innocent:.   I think I remember the Skokie Indians,. along with the Cavaliers - Kilties shooting blanks after that, but it was a fun time.  One of those years the Kilties stayed next to my Aunts house at an Armenian Church  in SM.  A snare and a tenor let me diddle a little.  I thought I had reached the big time.  :dancin:  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some tweaks to the staff to Madison for this year, which I think are quality. Mike Hardiek will not only be visual caption manager, but also designer. Also, Chuck Naffier will now be brass arranger as well as brass caption manager. I'm excited for these additions to the roles they already had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Makes great sense!  You want jazz = you hire Chuck.  That does make me more excited to see what they're going to do this year, for sure!

Mike

I agree. The original hire for brass arranger caused me much concern. I felt better when news came out that Chuck was hired as brass caption manager, and at that point I was hoping he would be moved to brass arranger.

I'm always going to love Scott Boerma, as I marched all my years playing books he wrote, but if anyone is going to write for Madison, and it's not Scott, then I want Chuck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tesmusic said:

I agree. The original hire for brass arranger caused me much concern. I felt better when news came out that Chuck was hired as brass caption manager, and at that point I was hoping he would be moved to brass arranger.

I'm always going to love Scott Boerma, as I marched all my years playing books he wrote, but if anyone is going to write for Madison, and it's not Scott, then I want Chuck.

Did they fire that young kid who was going to be arranger? 

And with Hardiek, was there a different drill designer before his role was expanded?

On 11/26/2018 at 12:52 PM, DCVNVET said:

Terri I hope not the ones I was at  late 50's :innocent:.   I think I remember the Skokie Indians,. along with the Cavaliers - Kilties shooting blanks after that, but it was a fun time.  One of those years the Kilties stayed next to my Aunts house at an Armenian Church  in SM.  A snare and a tenor let me diddle a little.  I thought I had reached the big time.  :dancin:  

Nah, not until the ‘70’s. 

1 hour ago, Nine White Russians said:

My guess is he turned the position down because of how much work was involved, keeping in mind that he's still working on his Bachelor's degree in jazz composition. A fear of not being ready to make such a huge jump from SoundSport arranging to DCI World Class arranging may have also played a part. I hope this isn't the last time we hear of him, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Nine White Russians said:

And with Hardiek, was there a different drill designer before his role was expanded?

I'm not sure the details as to the changes, but they're good changes, IMO.

• Like 1