2019 Madison Scouts!

30 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I don't know if that can be stated with such certainty however, FlamMan. Lots of Corps.. dozens... began as All Male, but as times evolved, became Co'ed. The Cadets, for example,  were an All Male Drum Corps for 35 years before  eventually opening their ranks to Females. Phantom Regiment was an All Male Corps in 1963... But became Coed in '64, and never looked back. Times are changing. Its been over a decade now since an All Male Corps has won a DCI Title. Females are moving up in all strata of society since the 60's. DCI, in particular, are moving females into leadership positions all through the ranks of DCI Drum Corps. Slower than some might want, but we see it happening with increasing frequency anyway. That can be expected to accelerate in my opinion over the next decade and further. Not only in the staff ranks, but in the judging ranks, and Show Design ranks as well over the next decade or so, imo. Given that changed societal dynamic , it seems likely that DCI will not be able to successfully field TWO All Male Corps in its ranks much longer, imo. Not sure they'll be an All Male Corps by the time today's High Schoolers marching DCI Drum Corps have reached their 30's as a matter of fact. Many of today's DCA Corps than began in the  60's or before, began as All Male Drum Corps. They are all Co'ed today now. Even the US Military has changed their ways. Few once thought we'd ever see females in the US Military. That the US Military would remain All Male... and most certainly, we'd never see them participating in combat missions some day. But there you go.

But not the MADISON SCOUTS.

• Haha 1

Not trying to be "that guy," and I get this is a Scouts thread, but is there the same level of interest in The Cavaliers adding females? I haven't noticed if there is and that leads me to wonder if the reason is because of the relative competitive success/failure of the two organizations. If going co-ed is good for one from a competitive standpoint why not good for the other?

Don't have a dog in the fight with my kid aged-out of Scouts in the last couple of years, just curious about the difference in thought regarding the two organizations.

Edited by Rufus67

6 hours ago, FlamMan said:

But not the MADISON SCOUTS.

Schopenhauer's law of entropy states:  If you put a spoonful of wine in a barrel of sewage, then you have sewage.  And if you put a spoonful of sewage in a barrel of wine, you also have sewage.

Madison was coed in 2018 (& 1971, & whatever the Carmen year was)

ps - I am not saying Women are sewage - the point is that one female (or male in case of all-female Corps) makes a Corps coed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rufus67 said:

Not trying to be "that guy," and I get this is a Scouts thread, but is there the same level of interest in The Cavaliers adding females? I haven't noticed if there is and that leads me to wonder if the reason is because of the relative competitive success/failure of the two organizations. If going co-ed is good for one from a competitive standpoint why not good for the other?

Well, this is a Madison Scouts thread, so the question posed on this thread above on whether The Scouts were going back to an All Male Drum Corps this season ( 2019 ) with the Madison Scouts naturally pertains to them here. The Cavaliers did not have any females in their line last season to prompt a discussion on whether or not they intend to be All Male for 2019. its just assumed they will be All Male in 2019. That said,  whether or not a Corps will likely remain exclusive to Males alone in the future probably is a question that pertains equally to both, and is irrespective of either's competitive success/ failures, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

one female (or male in case of all-female Corps) makes a Corps coed.

Thats the definition of " Coed". There is no requirement that a " Coed " unit in youth sports or otherwise has to have more than one. Tbere is no number subscribed to it. If you have " 1 ", ( Male or Female ) than you are by definition.. " Coed ". It is unambiguous. Likewise, if a unit is All Male, or All Female, it is also by definition not " Coed ".  Some things are seemingly self explanatory, and really should need no explanation.

Edited by BRASSO

9 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I don't know if that can be stated with such certainty however, FlamMan. Lots of Corps.. dozens... began as All Male, but as times evolved, became Co'ed. The Cadets, for example,  were an All Male Drum Corps for 35 years before  eventually opening their ranks to Females. Phantom Regiment was an All Male Corps in 1963... But became Coed in '64, and never looked back. Times are changing. Its been over a decade now since an All Male Corps has won a DCI Title. Females are moving up in all strata of society since the 60's. DCI, in particular, are moving females into leadership positions all through the ranks of DCI Drum Corps. Slower than some might want, but we see it happening with increasing frequency anyway. That can be expected to accelerate in my opinion over the next decade and further. Not only in the staff ranks, but in the judging ranks, and Show Design ranks as well over the next decade or so, imo. Given that changed societal dynamic , it seems likely that DCI will not be able to successfully field TWO All Male Corps in its ranks much longer, imo. Not sure they'll be an All Male Corps by the time today's High Schoolers marching DCI Drum Corps have reached their 30's as a matter of fact. Many of today's DCA Corps than began in the  60's or before, began as All Male Drum Corps. They are all Co'ed today now. Even the US Military has changed their ways. Few once thought we'd ever see females in the US Military. That the US Military would remain All Male... and most certainly, we'd never see them participating in combat missions some day. But there you go.

why were they mostly all male tho?

boy scouts or the military. Now i know females can now be in the Boy Scouts, but hey....if both corps stick to their charter as private institutions, and can get the talent and funding to make it work, why not? 

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

why were they mostly all male tho?

boy scouts or the military. Now i know females can now be in the Boy Scouts, but hey....if both corps stick to their charter as private institutions, and can get the talent and funding to make it work, why not? 

I'm certainly ok with a Corps becoming/ remaining All Male,  All Female, should they decide to do so. If its legal, why not ? . I have no problems with it.  Far be in for me to tell someone else not to do something that is legal, and does not interfere with my rights. As such, its perfectly fine with me if both these All Male Corps choose this membership format for themselves.

Edited by BRASSO

On 12/18/2018 at 11:41 PM, BRASSO said:

Using the span of time since an all male corps has been a champion and using that as an argument in favor of going coed is a really poor strategy. In the timespan since the last all male championship, one corps has won the title 7 times. 16 of the 22 coed corps also haven’t won a championship. Several of those 16 haven’t even been in finals (or for at least one now suspended corps, semifinals) in that same time frame.  Both all male corps have gone through struggles with things off the field which has hurt both of their competitive success (although, for the Cavs it’s been to a far lesser extent). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weedyweidenthal said:

Using the span of time since an all male corps has been a champion and using that as an argument in favor of going coed is a really poor strategy. In the timespan since the last all male championship, one corps has won the title 7 times. 16 of the 22 coed corps also haven’t won a championship. Several of those 16 haven’t even been in finals (or for at least one now suspended corps, semifinals) in that same time frame.  Both all male corps have gone through struggles with things off the field which has hurt both of their competitive success (although, for the Cavs it’s been to a far lesser extent). 

The fact that the Blue Devils are Co'ed and have won 7 titles since the last All Male Corps has won a DCI Title is probably not so much a function that they are Coed as it is the fact that the Blue Devils have an unfettered access to every other Corps Feeder System to themselves. The Blue Devils ,imo, are essentially a Drum Corps International All Star Team ( Corps ), for all intents and purposes, imo.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The fact that the Blue Devils are Co'ed and have won 7 titles since the last All Male Corps has won a DCI Title is probably not so much a function that they are Coed as it is the fact that the Blue Devils have an unfettered access to every other Corps Feeder System to themselves. The Blue Devils ,imo, are essentially a Drum Corps International All Star Team ( Corps ), for all intents and purposes, imo.

Well typed B and not one sentence about transfers.

• Haha 1