2019 Madison Scouts!

23 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

licensing dictates a lot of this

Can it be a breach of licensing if a corps does not yet have a license that it can breach?

Is it a contractual problem to say your show will include Song XYZ if you don't yet have the contract allowing you to play Song XYZ?

Of course, it's a problem if you step onto the field and start to actually perform Song XYZ if you don't have a license. But to say you plan to play it? Want to play it? Expect to play it? Are designing a show around it? That's a contractual infraction?

I'm thinking legalistically here. Of course it would be a PR disaster to promote show content that you would later have to retract because you couldn't close the deal on the rights. And maybe that is the true reason at work here, in which case it's not that licensing is "dictating" anything legalistic, but only enforcing the common sense to say nothing until you can back it up.

But, just on purely legal ground, it would seem meritless to sue someone for saying they intend to use your product if they don't end up actually using it, unless the mere promotion of the idea somehow negatively affected the value of your product.

Is it June yet?

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Ok, I parse words too much and I missed the joke this time. So here is a Steve Martin quote to make up for it: "Me mama dog face to the banana patch". He proposed that parents teaching kids to talk wrong was a good practical joke to play on teachers.

Very cool... moving on!!!

35 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually releasing information only to have to scramble and release changed information has caused a lot of issues elsewhere ( see Allentown PA and former leadership). I'd rather they make sure they have their ducks in a row and then tell us as opposed to constantly having to update on changes etc. Hasn't hurt other organizations staying so quiet the last few years

I hear that. "We're gonna do this... hey, I heard some cool music recently and now we're thinking of doing that... no wait, we're gonna do this instead..."  What a rollercoaster.   Yikes.

This whole topic actually came up last night, at a meeting of a drum corps alumni group I'm a part of here in Maryland.  The whole "not knowing what corps are gonna play, unlike the old days" thing. My explanation was basically what's been said on this forum... the rights, and all the issues that come with that.

47 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Can it be a breach of licensing if a corps does not yet have a license that it can breach?

Is it a contractual problem to say your show will include Song XYZ if you don't yet have the contract allowing you to play Song XYZ?

Of course, it's a problem if you step onto the field and start to actually perform Song XYZ if you don't have a license. But to say you plan to play it? Want to play it? Expect to play it? Are designing a show around it? That's a contractual infraction?

I'm thinking legalistically here. Of course it would be a PR disaster to promote show content that you would later have to retract because you couldn't close the deal on the rights. And maybe that is the true reason at work here, in which case it's not that licensing is "dictating" anything legalistic, but only enforcing the common sense to say nothing until you can back it up.

But, just on purely legal ground, it would seem meritless to sue someone for saying they intend to use your product if they don't end up actually using it, unless the mere promotion of the idea somehow negatively affected the value of your product.

Is it June yet?

A breach? No. But then do you announce, come back and reannounce when you have to change, reannoucse more changes etc. etc....that gets old. it turns people off. ( see example I cited in my original post). No by announcing you're not in violation per se, it hasn't been performed publicly. But in the court of public opinion, you look like idiots announcing stuff only to keep having to change it until you finally have all of the clearances.

This is my son's  first  year marching, so  I don't  know  how  much and when  they  would  normally share with alumni. When  do  you  feel  they  should  be  making everything  public?  Why  shouldn't  they  wait  until things are pretty well set before making an announcement?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, BrassMom33 said:

This is my son's  first  year marching, so  I don't  know  how  much and when  they  would  normally share with alumni. When  do  you  feel  they  should  be  making everything  public?  Why  shouldn't  they  wait  until things are pretty well set before making an announcement?

For some corps, I wouldn’t expect anything until around Spring Training or early June. I know of at least one corps that won’t announce anything until 6:00pm June 20.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 3

Not releasing your show concept & uniform early is just terrible marketing. Corps should build hype, anticipation & excitement as early as they can for as long as they can. It would generate a whole lot more discussion than not saying anything does.

26 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Not releasing your show concept & uniform early is just terrible marketing. Corps should build hype, anticipation & excitement as early as they can for as long as they can. It would generate a whole lot more discussion than not saying anything does.

yeah that's what it does 🙄

All the best to the Scouts. 

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Respectfully disagree. Many times, I have prejudged a show without seeing much of anything and wrote a corps off prematurely because I could not embrace the corps’ concept. Even now, I have written off a corps that is leaking out dribs and drabs of their concept. Not all press is hype inducing and frequently generates negative hype. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, FlamMan said:

and per the example i listed previously, it creates either overwhelming hype that can't be lived up to or overwhelming derision for the choices announced