2019 Madison Scouts!

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and per the example i listed previously, it creates either overwhelming hype that can't be lived up to or overwhelming derision for the choices announced

In my opinion, this is the same reason why corps rarely (if at all) post off season audio/visual content, even if it's not show material.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Barneveld said:

In my opinion, this is the same reason why corps rarely (if at all) post off season audio/visual content, even if it's not show material.

exactly. the proof is out there...you can suffocate under unrealistic expectations. Cadets many years, Phantom last year...hell Madison with the Kenton show

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 3

Exactly!!! You ever notice the one corps that rarely says anything and always does well is BD?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

Exactly!!! You ever notice the one corps that rarely says anything and always does well is BD?

Not a true Proverb, but wise just the same:

"You never have to explain what you don't say"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to what they bring this year. Gut feeling is they will bounce back. Recent years such as 2008 and 2010 have shown us they are capable. 

Chuck N. arranging for them, as many have said here, should be great for bringing out the Madison sound, fun, excitement, and  fan accessibility we are used to with Madison.

That noted, if I were to guess what we will see this year from Scouts, I hope they  will bring something to us like 2012 Crossmen. Familiar theme revisited, (1992), very fan friendly/accessible, but an approach that is fresh. Chuck’s take on Michael Jackson’s Earth Song fit so well into that show and identity of the corps. It was like their new “Pat Metheny”, in terms of identity. I felt that piece and that show “welcomed Crossmen back” for us as fans . 

When speaking of that identity I am not expecting 1990’s or 1980’s Scouts all over again. Nor a retro show, ( ie: 2010 ), to bring us back. Faster,  louder, higher, can’t be “ what is old is new again”. So many have discussed Bluecoats being “the direction Madison Scouts should have gone”. Yeah, I can see the logic in that. Its a good assessment. But Bluecoats were not exactly, “underwhelming” in terms of entertainment in the last 30 years. Like Scouts, they had their own identity and entertaining shows- it’s just within the past decade they have taken their identity to a new level of appreciation in shows we find innovative, accessible, and fun. 

Madison will take that step like Bluecoats have- I trust in that. Those adjectives of accessible, fun, and even innovative, I think will be there this year.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2019 at 2:36 PM, Jeff Ream said:

actually releasing information only to have to scramble and release changed information has caused a lot of issues elsewhere ( see Allentown PA and former leadership). I'd rather they make sure they have their ducks in a row and then tell us as opposed to constantly having to update on changes etc. Hasn't hurt other organizations staying so quiet the last few years

Agreed. I didn't mean to imply that information should be released prematurely. The point was, It helps to communicate what you do know to build understanding and engagement. 

1 hour ago, madisonsmiley said:

Agreed. I didn't mean to imply that information should be released prematurely. The point was, It helps to communicate what you do know to build understanding and engagement. 

the problem is in the world of licensing...you often end up releasing prematurely even when trying to communicate....aka #### happens

None of the issues with licensing would be a problem if they just had Chuck write an all original

program for the Scouts? Just sayin'. 😉

On 4/4/2019 at 10:20 PM, madisonsmiley said:

Exactly.