2019 Madison Scouts!

Does anyone know if they have many vets returning? Do they have all the spots filled or are they still looking for members? From the pics I saw, this years corps looks really young.

Edited by Tupac

I am not sure how many vets returned. There seemed to be quite a few.  This is my son's first year and he is a junior in high school. There are some other high school members.  They have a couple color guard spots to fill. It looks like a really good group of kids for this year.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BrassMom33 said:

I am not sure how many vets returned. There seemed to be quite a few.  This is my son's first year and he is a junior in high school. There are some other high school members.  They have a couple color guard spots to fill. It looks like a really good group of kids for this year.

Thanks for the info and all the best for you and your sion this summer. (Welcome to DCP, too.) I'm looking at Scouts with high expectations for a great show.

It’ll interesting to see what Mike Turner does with the guard. Mike was the guard caption guy when I marched in the 80s and they won high guard in 83’ if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 5:58 PM, Madcityscout said:

It’ll interesting to see what Mike Turner does with the guard. Mike was the guard caption guy when I marched in the 80s and they won high guard in 83’ if I remember correctly.

And, I think more importantly, Turner has judged guard at finals many times, so he knows exactly what the scoring sheets require. I am still nervous that the two crazies are still driving the bus, however.

I’m not sure the crazies are exactly  “driving the bus.”  I think they “own the bus company” but realize the bus company wasn’t delivering and also partly realize there is pressure to perform. I think if Madison does not improve DP and probably CK are toast.

I believe that is why they hired a winner like Jimmy Elvord who is 1. Extremely intelligent; 2. Introspective and able to learn and  improve upon previous experience (proof-1974 vs 1975) and  3. JE is very Humble-again a personality trait of a “true” winner not someone who licks into presiding over a winning system.

I am not impressed that DP, as a leader, has an aggressive will to win- I think he’s trying to straddle winning with something else.....I dunno 

Just curious, what do you think that something else might be?

Well,  all theory of course but multifactorial.

1. The challenge of maintaining the Scouts tradition while adapting to the quickness of change in DCI

2. The pressure to make the corps coed

3. The challenge of maintaining the Scout brand of masculinity and aggression in an all male corps in the current environment where masculinity is criticized

DP does not have an easy job- yet, I respect his effort and donate to the corps

• Like 2

On 4/19/2019 at 7:53 PM, steelchops said:

Well,  all theory of course but multifactorial.

1. The challenge of maintaining the Scouts tradition while adapting to the quickness of change in DCI

2. The pressure to make the corps coed

3. The challenge of maintaining the Scout brand of masculinity and aggression in an all male corps in the current environment where masculinity is criticized

DP does not have an easy job- yet, I respect his effort and donate to the corps

Who's pressuring the corps to go co-ed?

1 minute ago, jpaul said:

Who's pressuring the corps to go co-ed?

There have been calls for it for years, mostly quiet, but it’s been suggested, requested, etc since at the last 20 years or so.