2019 Madison Scouts!

40 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

We shall see if a back-to-the-future approach works with the judges. I’m pretty sure it will with the crowd. 

Exactly. The relatively stripped-down, no-theme "back to Madison" approach worked in 2010... got them back into Finals, fans loved the show.

But it's nine years later, and in terms of how the activity has evolved  (the more theatrical productions with props, etc.)... that's a lifetime.

We shall see.

• Like 1

What's the general gut feeling around DCP on this as far as how influential this type of old-school show will have on the future of the activity? Will it catch on and spread or suffer the judges' refusal to accept and peter out? 

Pardon my ignorance, but having been out of drum corps fandom during most of the early 2000's, has anything like this been tried since the whole show theme thing came along? 

4 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

What's the general gut feeling around DCP on this as far as how influential this type of old-school show will have on the future of the activity? Will it catch on and spread or suffer the judges' refusal to accept and peter out? 

Pardon my ignorance, but having been out of drum corps fandom during most of the early 2000's, has anything like this been tried since the whole show theme thing came along? 

Personally, I don't think it will change the direction of the activity, at the same time, it's something different and I like that. I've learned to embrace modern drum corps, but I love the idea of not having to need a PHD in some subject to watch and show and "get it."

For example-I LOVED BD 2014, but I'm a fan of them and I love the movies of Fellini. I went out with a friend after finals that night and he liked their show, but said that the visual seemed so bizarre, but he knew nothing of Fellini. After I explained some things to him, he understood, but the show still wasn't one of his favorites.

My biggest concern for the corps this year is not the lack of a storyline/props, it's honestly will they get the talent-especially in the guard to move back up.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Nine White Russians said:

No theme, no props, no problem! I'm getting excited for what's in store for this season! James Elvord speaks a lot about

not only upping the game in terms of entertainment value, but also about upping the level of execution and technique, which

has fallen off in recent years. I hope they acheive that, because I've missed seeing a Scouts Corps that can march like muther######s!!!

And as a former staff member of mine once said - Clean is it's own effect!

Thank you, Jesus.

• Like 1

Madison has been veering back and forth wildly in show design for a decade, if not more. We’ll see how this pans out. The older I get, the more I appreciate so-called “safe” show design. Pushing the envelope is all well and good, but being a guinea pigs for designers’ egos for an entire season suuuuuucks. I think sometimes designers forget that members want to perform a show that is... maybe “fun” doesn’t cover it, but rewarding to perform (and watch).

Then again, doing a straighforward show without props and a pretentious, on-the-nose story might be the biggest risk of all in modern DCI.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Madison has been veering back and forth wildly in show design for a decade, if not more. We’ll see how this pans out. The older I get, the more I appreciate so-called “safe” show design. Pushing the envelope is all well and good, but being a guinea pigs for designers’ egos for an entire season suuuuuucks. I think sometimes designers forget that members want to perform a show that is... maybe “fun” doesn’t cover it, but rewarding to perform (and watch).

Then again, doing a straighforward show without props and a pretentious, on-the-nose story might be the biggest risk of all in modern DCI.

It is a risk.   I hope that even if the judges don’t care for it, at least the audience can have fun.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FTNK said:

Although it was many many moons ago I can still close my eyes and enjoy the feeilngs of playing those well-written notes with the audience exploding in appreciation. And while I do have a ring, it collects dust sitting in a curio cabinet; a cabinet that has needed the light bulb replaced for a while. This indicates to me what I really see as the true deepest value in performing within DCI.

• Like 3

I'm a little surprised to hear Elvord speak so explicitly about a return to what Madison is all about. I know a lot of alumni and fans want that. But in context, it's sort of also saying: you know, not that stuff we've done the past couple of years. The plans are plenty okay with me. I'm just surprised to hear so open a dig at those past decisions.

• Like 4