2019 Madison Scouts!

Uncomplicated?  No props?  The opener will be "the Madison Scouts putting their foot on your throat" ??  Really Jimmy? Some of my "old school"  brothers are hoping they will "blow the stands down".....hello?.....with which corps P.A. System?  Judas The Comedian/ C-   Last Man Standing in Finals dressed like Barney Ruble/D    Heart & Whatever/F.   Majestic ????  Barry Manilow's "One Voice".   A tribute to last year's Champions, SCV?.......Young Persons Guide to an Undefined Style and Show.  They will look like Scouts....that's the easy part.  Jim Mason had the corps on such a positive trajectory, until Chris Komnick told him he was not wanted back following the 2014 Season. One of the biggest mistakes in Mad Scout History.  What a programming and costuming nightmare it has been since. They failed at programming ultra "Modern"............now it's gonna be "old school" and Pop Music?  

Very, very young average age compared to a top tier corps.  SCV (brass 20.2).  Who currently ranked above the Scouts is going to regress??  Who just behind the Scouts is ascending?  Performing at 7:30 in the sunlight, before the stands are even full adds to the challenge of advancing up the ranks.  The Scouts should be a good exhibition corps, but no props and visual enhancements to present this "show about nothing" will be like watching Black & White television.  This is still a competitive activity.  Take a look at the Judging Sheets.  This has nothing to do with the fine young men who are spending lot's of $$$$ for this experience.  The Scout's demise is all on a weak and confused board that continues on with the same Executive Director .

The Scouts may be the most dysfunctional drum corps family on the planet.  Imagine less than 75 persons in attendance at the 80th Anniversary Celebration.  They even had to cancel Al Chez's Band at the last minute.  The current board is incapable of uniting our alumni across the decades, and the lack of support is evidence of that.  Hopefully some sweeping changes will occur in November, and the Scouts can begin to ascend again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, madscout75 said:

Uncomplicated?  No props?  The opener will be "the Madison Scouts putting their foot on your throat" ??  Really Jimmy? Some of my "old school"  brothers are hoping they will "blow the stands down".....hello?.....with which corps P.A. System?  Judas The Comedian/ C-   Last Man Standing in Finals dressed like Barney Ruble/D    Heart & Whatever/F.   Majestic ????  Barry Manilow's "One Voice".   A tribute to last year's Champions, SCV?.......Young Persons Guide to an Undefined Style and Show.  They will look like Scouts....that's the easy part.  Jim Mason had the corps on such a positive trajectory, until Chris Komnick told him he was not wanted back following the 2014 Season. One of the biggest mistakes in Mad Scout History.  What a programming and costuming nightmare it has been since. They failed at programming ultra "Modern"............now it's gonna be "old school" and Pop Music?  

Very, very young average age compared to a top tier corps.  SCV (brass 20.2).  Who currently ranked above the Scouts is going to regress??  Who just behind the Scouts is ascending?  Performing at 7:30 in the sunlight, before the stands are even full adds to the challenge of advancing up the ranks.  The Scouts should be a good exhibition corps, but no props and visual enhancements to present this "show about nothing" will be like watching Black & White television.  This is still a competitive activity.  Take a look at the Judging Sheets.  This has nothing to do with the fine young men who are spending lot's of $$$$ for this experience.  The Scout's demise is all on a weak and confused board that continues on with the same Executive Director .

The Scouts may be the most dysfunctional drum corps family on the planet.  Imagine less than 75 persons in attendance at the 80th Anniversary Celebration.  They even had to cancel Al Chez's Band at the last minute.  The current board is incapable of uniting our alumni across the decades, and the lack of support is evidence of that.  Hopefully some sweeping changes will occur in November, and the Scouts can begin to ascend again.

going on early didn't seem to hurt Mandarins last year or Academy the year they made it in

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think we just need to give the new creative team a chance.  

I've come around, and have started to do that. I am mostly concerned with how guard recruiting/talent are.  Reports are strong for percussion, and with Chuck Naffier on brass/design, I'm confident there. Granted Michael Turner has been around a long time and has been a great instructor/judge, I just am very concerned with that part of the corps.

• Like 1

That is an interesting take on things from an alum on an old school show vs keeping up with the others. I'm with Terri. Old school/new school, if it works, do it. Would I like to hear Slaughter off the line with 80+ horns? Oh yeah. But, I won't and that's OK too. 

Slightly off topic for us uninformed - are DCA shows themed and take an advanced degree to make sense of? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

That is an interesting take on things from an alum on an old school show vs keeping up with the others. I'm with Terri. Old school/new school, if it works, do it. Would I like to hear Slaughter off the line with 80+ horns? Oh yeah. But, I won't and that's OK too. 

Slightly off topic for us uninformed - are DCA shows themed and take an advanced degree to make sense of? 

They’ve gone in that direction. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think we just need to give the new creative team a chance.  

I am hopeful, regardless of being old Madison, new Madison whatever Madison. Just be good

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rufus67 said:

Having sent tuition dollars to Madison and watched our son grow, mature, and perform the crap out of shows the last couple of years (before aging out) I can tell you I wish nothing but success for the new design team. If you thought it painful watching the shows the last couple of years try having your kid be one of the performers trying to make sense of the instruction given, the effort expended, and the lack of results (score-wise) earned. I saw a young man stare into the face of adversity and, instead of folding, grow artistically and do things in terms of playing, marching, and performing that weren't possible prior to getting with the Scouts.

This is not an appeal to moral authority for my view of the upcoming season, because there is none for me any longer (if there ever was any). It is, instead, a fervent wish that this year's corps achieves the vision of the design team, gets rewarded with positive fan reaction/buzz, and keeps producing Men from Madison like our son.

Been there, done that. 

I wish the Scouts the best.  Blow my doors off. Please. 

• Like 4

If Madison were to ever get in the top 5 again or even win a championship there would always be someone there to criticize something. The young men and staff would do best to stay focused on the task at hand and to reach their desired goals whether it be praise or criticism. Just stay focused and even keel throughout the process no matter what.

Edited by Madcityscout
  • Like 2