2019 Madison Scouts!

On 5/13/2019 at 8:50 PM, Jeff Ream said:

going on early didn't seem to hurt Mandarins last year or Academy the year they made it in

Well.....the big difference is in both those instances those corps had exceptionally well designed shows. Academy hasn't repeated as a finalist because they can't design like they did in 2016. Madison is not going to have that this year. No way. Screw giving them a chance. They have no chance. Zero. None. They lost their chance when Dan and Chris didn't get their heads chopped off. As long as Dan and Chris are there, they have no chance. If you think otherwise you just aren't paying attention to the train wreck that has been the Madison Scouts for the past several years.

Honestly, if my kid wanted to march there I would encourage them to go else where.

Edited by queenanne_1536

1 hour ago, Madcityscout said:

If Madison were to ever get in the top 5 again or even win a championship there would always be someone there to criticize something. The young men and staff would do best to stay focused on the task at hand and to reach their desired goals whether it be praise or criticism. Just stay focused and even keel throughout the process no matter what.

If Madison were to drop to 20th place there would always be someone to say the young men and staff would do best to stay focused no matter what.

If Madison were to drop to Open Class there would always be someone to say the young man and staff would do best to stay focused no matter what.

The time for that ####-mentality should have been over years ago. In the 80s and 90s it sucked if Madison didn't make the top 5. In the 2000s it sucked if they didn't make the top 8. In the 2010s it sucked if they didn't make finals. Now it sucks if they don't make the top 15. Do you see a pattern here? 

Until those two pinheads running the show have their ##### kicked out the door nothing is going to change, improvement isn't going to come, only further decline is on the horizon.

Does anyone with the Madison organization have ANY balls? Seriously, it's pathetic. ####### pathetic!

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 8:34 PM, madscout75 said:

Uncomplicated?  No props?  The opener will be "the Madison Scouts putting their foot on your throat" ??  Really Jimmy? Some of my "old school"  brothers are hoping they will "blow the stands down".....hello?.....with which corps P.A. System?  Judas The Comedian/ C-   Last Man Standing in Finals dressed like Barney Ruble/D    Heart & Whatever/F.   Majestic ????  Barry Manilow's "One Voice".   A tribute to last year's Champions, SCV?.......Young Persons Guide to an Undefined Style and Show.  They will look like Scouts....that's the easy part.  Jim Mason had the corps on such a positive trajectory, until Chris Komnick told him he was not wanted back following the 2014 Season. One of the biggest mistakes in Mad Scout History.  What a programming and costuming nightmare it has been since.

It sounds like you just ripped current design staff to shreds because they dare go with bland uniforms, few props, aiming to impress with loud showmanship rather than complicated themes... then you mourned the loss of Jim Mason, who had the corps with bland uniforms, few props, aiming to impress with loud showmanship rather than complicated themes.  Am I reading this correctly? 

It seems that you guys are very well inept in show design. you should seriously be apart of design staff since clearly you KNOW what you're talking about. No like seriously you should because you guys sure know how to talk game.

This is a demonstration of how ineffective, across the spectrum of business, boards of directors are. Seriously. The CEO or in the case of DCI, the executive director, puts their buddies on the BOD. The BOD does nothing but serve as a rubber stamp for the CEO. They all pay themselves ridiculously, then look around with self-satisfaction and head for the bar. Short of committing felonies or being accused of sexual assault, Petersen and Komnick can pretty much stay in their gigs as long as they want. The chicken crap BOD will take no action unless there is absolutely no alternative to doing so. It’s evident competitive success is not a factor in their continued employment. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

This is a demonstration of how ineffective, across the spectrum of business, boards of directors are. Seriously. The CEO or in the case of DCI, the executive director, puts their buddies on the BOD. The BOD does nothing but serve as a rubber stamp for the CEO. They all pay themselves ridiculously, then look around with self-satisfaction and head for the bar. Short of committing felonies or being accused of sexual assault, Petersen and Komnick can pretty much stay in their gigs as long as they want. The chicken crap BOD will take no action unless there is absolutely no alternative to doing so. It’s evident competitive success is not a factor in their continued employment. 

I’m very far removed from this so honestly, I had no idea.  Sounds like the old YEA board. 

On 5/13/2019 at 8:34 PM, madscout75 said:

Uncomplicated?  No props?  The opener will be "the Madison Scouts putting their foot on your throat" ??  Really Jimmy? Some of my "old school"  brothers are hoping they will "blow the stands down".....hello?.....with which corps P.A. System?  Judas The Comedian/ C-   Last Man Standing in Finals dressed like Barney Ruble/D    Heart & Whatever/F.   Majestic ????  Barry Manilow's "One Voice".   A tribute to last year's Champions, SCV?.......Young Persons Guide to an Undefined Style and Show.  They will look like Scouts....that's the easy part.  Jim Mason had the corps on such a positive trajectory, until Chris Komnick told him he was not wanted back following the 2014 Season. One of the biggest mistakes in Mad Scout History.  What a programming and costuming nightmare it has been since. They failed at programming ultra "Modern"............now it's gonna be "old school" and Pop Music?  

Very, very young average age compared to a top tier corps.  SCV (brass 20.2).  Who currently ranked above the Scouts is going to regress??  Who just behind the Scouts is ascending?  Performing at 7:30 in the sunlight, before the stands are even full adds to the challenge of advancing up the ranks.  The Scouts should be a good exhibition corps, but no props and visual enhancements to present this "show about nothing" will be like watching Black & White television.  This is still a competitive activity.  Take a look at the Judging Sheets.  This has nothing to do with the fine young men who are spending lot's of $$$$ for this experience.  The Scout's demise is all on a weak and confused board that continues on with the same Executive Director .

The Scouts may be the most dysfunctional drum corps family on the planet.  Imagine less than 75 persons in attendance at the 80th Anniversary Celebration.  They even had to cancel Al Chez's Band at the last minute.  The current board is incapable of uniting our alumni across the decades, and the lack of support is evidence of that.  Hopefully some sweeping changes will occur in November, and the Scouts can begin to ascend again.

Huh. 2 posts.

Congrats, you figured out the internet.

9 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m very far removed from this so honestly, I had no idea.  Sounds like the old YEA board. 

That was kinda my point. The old YEA board was nothing unique. It was just like all the other BODs. Toothless. Cronies. Madison. Crossmen. All the same. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:40 PM, Terri Schehr said:

Didn’t Cadets play One Voice a million years ago?

Edit:  Yep.1980.  Looked it up.  

I used it for the show I built this past year at the high school.  Had only one person singing on the field to start the show.  Ended the show with only one person on the field playing it.

I have always loved this song and it has so many possibilities.

• Like 1

Well in terms of the show........lol

I'm excited, seems like a good mix of old and new, I think the secret to their success is finding a good balance between the two.  I think doing retreads strayed too far into the old and last year maybe too far into the new (though there were some moments in there I liked, Snarky Puppy worked well for them).  We shall see but seems like a good fit in terms of  programming.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1