2019 Madison Scouts!

There's nothing I can say here other than I'm taking my kids to a show for the first time in a long while.  Propless is a start.  Let's dump the synth/overdub and I'll bring the entire extended family.  Music first, let the rest accent it and I may even buy them all a recording.  I know that's not the wave of the future, but if madaccoustic every happens I'll be first in line. 

It's a bit exaggerated, but I really do miss the days of live instruments making music without "reinforcement".

I have no idea how this year plays out, but Go Scouts!

Edited by contrascout
Sp
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Nine White Russians said:

Just listened to Simon Dobson's Backlash....Wow! If they play it anywhere close to the original, it's gonna

blow the stands down. It's punchy/jazzy/funky/powerful!!

I am just listening to it now and you're absolutely right, this could work for Madison.  With Chuck Naffier doing the arranging, I know it will be a classic!!  

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 5:01 PM, FlamMan said:

I truly hope that other corps follow the Scouts "no props" idea.

I would love if that happened. I would love if shows reverted back to having full wide open and readable drill, and sustained music, and the brass playing more. But, sadly, I don't think that's ever going to happen. 

And, no one is going to follow the lead of a 16th place corps, and they shouldn't. That would be a mistake. This is what I don't understand about Regiment and Scouts - everyone can see what is winning, yet both of their design teams fail epically. 

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I would love if that happened. I would love if shows reverted back to having full wide open and readable drill, and sustained music, and the brass playing more. But, sadly, I don't think that's ever going to happen. 

And, no one is going to follow the lead of a 16th place corps, and they shouldn't. That would be a mistake. This is what I don't understand about Regiment and Scouts - everyone can see what is winning, yet both of their design teams fail epically. 

This is why I have come to hate DCI with a passion....or not so much DCI, but the incestuous relationship between the WGI dominated design staffs and judges, who have collectively decided that DCI must become WGI Summer Edition (and they are all friends and associates by the way). They write the sheets. They decide what art is. And it's a very narrow definition. All this is done with a huge middle finger held out to the paying public. They do this to satisfy and impress themselves and their HUGE egos! Which is completely unjustified, because few of them are actual working artists. The majority of them are simply brainwashed students of postmodern drivel. (BTW, the authors of that philosophy state that all things traditional must be torn down piece by piece so that cultural marxiam can rule) But they have the power and influence over the activity. So the choice is, play the game and alienate loyal fans, (and still dropping in placement) or say eff you back to the intelligencia and at least win back some of the fans by doing what you love to do.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Nine White Russians said:

This is why I have come to hate DCI with a passion....or not so much DCI, but the incestuous relationship between the WGI dominated design staffs and judges, who have collectively decided that DCI must become WGI Summer Edition (and they are all friends and associates by the way). They write the sheets. They decide what art is. And it's a very narrow definition. All this is done with a huge middle finger held out to the paying public. They do this to satisfy and impress themselves and their HUGE egos! Which is completely unjustified, because few of them are actual working artists. The majority of them are simply brainwashed students of postmodern drivel. (BTW, the authors of that philosophy state that all things traditional must be torn down piece by piece so that cultural marxiam can rule) But they have the power and influence over the activity. So the choice is, play the game and alienate loyal fans, (and still dropping in placement) or say eff you back to the intelligencia and at least win back some of the fans by doing what you love to do.  

DCI will always have the MMs mommies and daddies who will go to watch their kids. That will get you 10,000 butts in the seats at an absolute minimum. If all others gave up on it, and I think that’s what it would take to get the message across, that’s what you’d have. 10,000 people. Plus George D and Mike D who will go down with the ship, loving whatever is put out on the field. True believers those two 🤗

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 12:09 PM, cavies79 said:

I am just listening to it now and you're absolutely right, this could work for Madison.  With Chuck Naffier doing the arranging, I know it will be a classic!!  

Absolutely this piece can rock if done well!!!

8 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

DCI will always have the MMs mommies and daddies who will go to watch their kids. That will get you 10,000 butts in the seats at an absolute minimum. If all others gave up on it, and I think that’s what it would take to get the message across, that’s what you’d have. 10,000 people. Plus George D and Mike D who will go down with the ship, loving whatever is put out on the field. True believers those two 🤗

people threatened to leave when the third valve was added. Then Bb brass. oh and amps. then electronics. yet since 11, attendance has been on an upward trend. Funny how that works.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

people threatened to leave when the third valve was added. Then Bb brass. oh and amps. then electronics. yet since 11, attendance has been on an upward trend. 

Because none of those changes were made "since 11".