2019 Madison Scouts!

24 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Because none of those changes were made "since 11".

The brass rule allowing trombones, French horns, etc in 2014 ###### a lot of people off. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Not to where hordes were threatening to leave over it.

You have no way to know this.  I’m not arguing its validity I’m just saying there’s no way to know. I am willing to guess that most of the people who leave just leave, with no fanfare or threatening pronouncements. 

Edited by HockeyDad

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

people threatened to leave when the third valve was added. Then Bb brass. oh and amps. then electronics. yet since 11, attendance has been on an upward trend. Funny how that works.

And people did leave. So, I don’t really understand your point. That those who left were replaced by others?  Is that some barometer of success?  I don’t know. 

Edited by HockeyDad

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Because none of those changes were made "since 11".

ok so trombones and french horns are in. Attendance is still on an upward swing since 2011. every change in the activity brings a teeth gnashing end of the world reaction. I had it with amps and walked away for 4 years myself from DCI. I went in 08 to see a former student, and i've been back since.

DCI and drum corps in general has long fought trying to appease alumni and the next generation at the same time for decades, which has proven to be lose-lose time and again. Since they decided to go almost solely for the next generation, it's been on the upswing.

25 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

And people did leave. So, I don’t really understand your point. That those who left were replaced by others?  Is that some barometer of success?  I don’t know. 

people left...and people keep coming in. trying to turn back the clock isn't going to build the future it's only going to appeal to those with a limited time left on earth

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

people left...and people keep coming in. trying to turn back the clock isn't going to build the future it's only going to appeal to those with a limited time left on earth

Is it really necessary to make a statement like that? Wow!

Repeat after me: You are not the customer. The kid on the field is the customer.

The activity exists to make the kid on the field happy. If the kid on the field is happy, the people in the stands are happy. Or, they should be. They're "our" kids, after all -- some literally, some figuratively. Do we not want them to be happy? Do we not want them to learn the reward of discipline, hard work and team effort? Is this not the entire point of this crazy, exhilarating, exhausting, life-changing, all-consuming activity?

Of course, the paying customers are learning how to achieve excellence through performance, and performance requires a consideration of the audience. They have to consider how the crowd will engage with what is happening on the field. That's inherent in any creative performance. Shakespeare didn't write plays for the sake of the actors. He wanted to say something to the world. The key difference: He didn't charge the actors money to perform. DCI -- or, rather, the drum corps themselves -- charges the actors. The actors are the customer.

And if the customer is happy, if the kids on the field are satisfied they got what they paid for, and you're not . . .  well, I submit that is a you problem, not a DCI problem.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

ok so trombones and french horns are in. Attendance is still on an upward swing since 2011. every change in the activity brings a teeth gnashing end of the world reaction.

Not really.  If you scour the vast resources of the Internet, you can find someone gnashing teeth over anything.  But there simply was no wave of people comparable to the A&E changes telling us that trombones were their line in the sand to leave the activity over.

DCI and drum corps in general has long fought trying to appease alumni and the next generation at the same time for decades, which has proven to be lose-lose time and again. Since they decided to go almost solely for the next generation, it's been on the upswing.

"They" decided to forsake tradition back in 1971 - that is why DCI was formed.  And the commitment to "next generation" above all else was made in the late 1990s.  Since then, there have been upswings and downswings.

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

You have no way to know this.  I’m not arguing its validity I’m just saying there’s no way to know. I am willing to guess that most of the people who leave just leave, with no fanfare or threatening pronouncements. 

Hmnnn... I don't know about this. Not only do lots leave with " fanfare ", quite a few enjoy immensely their belly aching afterwards about it very publically for about the next 40 years or so. Now,  If thats " most " though.. who knows.  Maybe not, as you said. Your guess is as good as any others.  :bigsmile:.🦖 😭

Edited by BRASSO