2019 Madison Scouts!

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I do not think that the audience should be telling a corps what to play and not play.

I'm not saying that. Entertainment is subjective. I think 1993 Star is the single greatest show ever, from a design perspective and I literally love every single second of it. It's the show I listen to most. I have a friend who thinks it's one of the worst shows ever. It really boggles my mind that he thinks that, but that's the point - it's subjective. However, at 1993 finals, and semifinals I sat through it all. I was able to find great and entertaining things in every show. Madison dazzled me with their exciting show, where as Star wowed me with what they were able to achieve technically. The last time I was at finals was 2006. The last time I would have wanted to go to finals was 2008. Since then, I'm not spending the money. Why bother when I just won't enjoy at least half of the shows? That's the whole point, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one in that boat. I will admit I enjoyed 2018 more than any year since 2008, so maybe things are on the up.

It's easier to watch at home, because then I can do other things why most of the corps are performing and watch the few I want (or none in the case of 2014).

Edited by queenanne_1536

54 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

So.  How about those Madison Scouts?

I had this conversation a few days ago with some friends... we said, wouldn't it be nice if there was a DCP thread about the Madison Scouts for 2019? :tongue:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I had this conversation a few days ago with some friends... we said, wouldn't it be nice if there was a DCP thread about the Madison Scouts for 2019? :tongue:

There’s more jousting going on here than Medieval Times 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

58 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

There’s more jousting going on here than Medieval Times 

And, in the "useless trivia" department...

Jousting is the state sport of Maryland. Seriously. 

https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/maryland/articles/why-jousting-is-marylands-official-state-sport/

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I'm not saying that. Entertainment is subjective. I think 1993 Star is the single greatest show ever, from a design perspective and I literally love every single second of it. It's the show I listen to most. I have a friend who thinks it's one of the worst shows ever. It really boggles my mind that he thinks that, but that's the point - it's subjective. However, at 1993 finals, and semifinals I sat through it all. I was able to find great and entertaining things in every show. Madison dazzled me with their exciting show, where as Star wowed me with what they were able to achieve technically. The last time I was at finals was 2006. The last time I would have wanted to go to finals was 2008. Since then, I'm not spending the money. Why bother when I just won't enjoy at least half of the shows? That's the whole point, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one in that boat. I will admit I enjoyed 2018 more than any year since 2008, so maybe things are on the up.

It's easier to watch at home, because then I can do other things why most of the corps are performing and watch the few I want (or none in the case of 2014).

With all do respect, you edited my quote, put a period where a comma is, which changes what I said. While the post I responded to may have been in response to what you said, I was commenting on a person who claimed as ticket holders we are only byproducts. 

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

And, in the "useless trivia" department...

Jousting is the state sport of Maryland. Seriously. 

https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/maryland/articles/why-jousting-is-marylands-official-state-sport/

The Rennie fair in Maryland is serious business. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Two sets of "customers" here. The kids/performers... and the paying audience.

The flip side of that bolded statement is... if paying audiences don't like the product, then the kids/performers are staring at empty stands. But given the attendance increase at numerous DCI events in recent years, it sure would seem that the current product is to the liking of the audience, in general.

Ultimately, neither can live without the other... performers and paying audience... and the activity can't survive without both. 

Ultimately, if this really is a situation where the students are paying for 'education', the activity certainly can survive without an audience. Have you ever been associated with a high school concert band performing at a district or state contest? It is the band, the judges, and a huge empty auditorium. That has been the case for many many decades.

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

I do not think that the audience should be telling a corps what to play and not play, but the audience is the customer in drum corps when it comes to performances and competitions and not byproducts. The corps are paid performance fees and ticket sales are a major way funds to pay performance fees are collected. Yes the marching members pay to perform, but they are paying for the opportunity to perform. 

Now where I would love corps to remind folks the audience is the customer is to those staff members who think they are God’s gift, run around to take seats while the corps performs, get upset if the rightful ticket holder wants their seat, and make their importance felt. A little courtesy can go a long way in souvenir booths. But all these folks are the exception, not the rule.

if the audience was that unhappy, we'd still be at 2010 attendance figures

4 hours ago, Nine White Russians said:

To those who dismiss the importance of playing for the people in the stands (who buy the tickets), have you ever performed a show that you poured your heart

into, and gotten only golf applause? On the flip side, have you experienced what it's like to have the crowd stand and cheer loudly multiple times during your show?

I have experienced both. And I can tell you, no matter how much the staff tries to justify or excuse the former, it as VERY disheartening when the crowd just isn't into

what you're putting out. On the flip side, when you have been given a powerful, fan-friendly show that gets a visceral reaction, and spontaneous, roaring standing-O's throughout

your show, it's incomparable. And that's something that we in the Scouts have a history of....I know I'm going back a long way, but watch the 95 show....all summer, every crowd

was insane. And to the artsy self-appointed sophisticates of the activity, it was a pedestrian, schlocky show that was beneath them...so therefore, it didn't deserve to be considered

among the best DCI shows ever. To clarify my point, would you as a kid want to throw down money, time, and effort to have an awesome experience performing a show like that - where

every night you felt like a rockstar? Or would you rather spend them summer performing sophisticated slam poetry set to "music"?

yes. won a world title that night too.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Ultimately, if this really is a situation where the students are paying for 'education', the activity certainly can survive without an audience. Have you ever been associated with a high school concert band performing at a district or state contest? It is the band, the judges, and a huge empty auditorium. That has been the case for many many decades.

I emceed an event similar to this. Kinda weird, looking out from the stage into a sea of empty seats, with the judges/evaluators way in the back.  LOL.