2019 Madison Scouts!

I was at the performance yesterday.   Good turnout.  Seeing the Madison Scouts on the steps of the State Capitol on a beautiful summer day in Madison, Wisconsin, brought back some great memories.

The corps was not in their uniforms/costumes yet - those debut tomorrow night at Drums on Parade.  Instead they were wearing t-shirts purchased by the alumni association.

The music is very accessible and well-arranged (thanks, Chuck).   Fans will likely love the music, especially us dinosaurs.   Drum line is a strength.

Impossible to guess where things land competitively, obviously, but I was excited to hear the crowd reaction.   The performance was entertaining.  You would definitely be able to identify the corps as the Madison Scouts if you simply heard the music.   That was refreshing.

Edited by msesq
  • Like 5

How did you feel the brass volume was handled for this time of the early season live?

10 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

How did you feel the brass volume was handled for this time of the early season live?

Hard to tell, as where the horn line was standing resulted in them playing over the top of the crowd.   Others have told me that the volume is noticeably stronger for this time of year than of late.  I'll get a better idea on Saturday night.   

Edited by msesq

1 hour ago, msesq said:

Hard to tell, as where the horn line was standing resulted in them playing over the top of the crowd.   Others have told me that the volume is noticeably stronger for this time of year than of late.  I'll get a better idea on Saturday night.   

I agree, I think the sound would've been better if we were sitting on the Bascom Hill lawn. I did enjoy the musical book, they did have a "Madison sound" to them but need some major cleaning but heck that's what the next 7 to 8 weeks are all about. The drumline was tight!

Edited by bass5
  • Like 4

Wow! This is all so good to hear!!!

Saw a vid on Facebook and the show is refreshingly Madison. It was about 3 minutes and I’m not sure where in the show it is. I looked for it again but couldn’t find it. 

That said, I’m disturbed that there has been such little transparency which was said to be an area of focus after the last several years. It’s also concerning that there has been nothing on the look of the corps and that they’re working 24/7 to get the costumes ready to hopefully have them for our HOME SHOW. When others have already performed, it seems we’re behind yet again. Much like the work that had to be done after move ins to get a full guard.

I’ve been vocally supportive, to a fault, and at this point, I can’t be 100% of the time. This has to be the last year of CK, regardless of improvement. He’s dug his heels in, alienated the alumni base, basically trash talks anyone that hasn’t jumped on board with his vision.

I’m going to be cautiously optimistic, until I can’t be.

• Like 1

After seeing the video, I'm genuinely excited to see them next week.  I'll be interested to see how the show for the music 

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

Saw a vid on Facebook and the show is refreshingly Madison. It was about 3 minutes and I’m not sure where in the show it is. I looked for it again but couldn’t find it. 

That said, I’m disturbed that there has been such little transparency which was said to be an area of focus after the last several years. It’s also concerning that there has been nothing on the look of the corps and that they’re working 24/7 to get the costumes ready to hopefully have them for our HOME SHOW. When others have already performed, it seems we’re behind yet again. Much like the work that had to be done after move ins to get a full guard.

I’ve been vocally supportive, to a fault, and at this point, I can’t be 100% of the time. This has to be the last year of CK, regardless of improvement. He’s dug his heels in, alienated the alumni base, basically trash talks anyone that hasn’t jumped on board with his vision.

I’m going to be cautiously optimistic, until I can’t be.

My experience is that most communication is being facilitated via the 1938 Facebook page for donors.   This includes photos and video from camps, interviews with staff (including an interview months ago with Jim Elvord, in which he showed a mock-up of the uniform/costume), and live streams (including yesterday's performance).  Makes some sense to incentivize donors with exclusive access, IMO.  As to the unis/costumes not being available until first show (or beyond), that is an activity-wide issue as others (including SCV) didn't have unis/costumes for first performance last year, if memory serves me correctly.

Edited by msesq

I believe the uniform/costume will be one that Scouts’ fans will appreciate along with the musical book this year.