2019 Madison Scouts!

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

there's a way to call for action, then there's this thread

Perhaps he’s working multiple angles. You don’t know. C’mon Jeff you have more thoughtful insights than to parrot back this old oft repeated stuff. 

2 minutes ago, derek005 said:

RAMD, Those were crazy years! We had Catherine who we will never forget.

Boy Howdy, we won't forget her or that other guy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

easy....just go out and play. Once you start winning that pressure is on to keep winning, and it can feel like a chore....like if you then lose, you failed. Sure we had a hell of a party when we won, but it was more relief than joy....we did it, pressure was off. Sometimes winning changes attitudes, pressure is applied more than normal. Tensions can rise and tempers can flare. 

This.

My 4th year with DCA's Sunrisers, 1980, was a rebuilding year. After two titles and a third-place finish, several veterans who had helped bring the corps from near-disaster in the early '70s to a champion  in 1977-78 had moved on. It was simply their time. And quite frankly, some "ring chasers" who had joined for 1979 also left after we ended up 3rd... and "hey, don't let the door hit you in the ### on the way out" was our attitude for them.  LOL.

From the first show on in 1980, we had no chance to win.... the Buccaneers and Caballeros were way ahead of the field.  So we focused on at least trying to get into the mix for 3rd place.... and had a blast doing it. Like Jeff said... no pressure whatsoever on us. Several of the corps' all-time hilarious "war stories" came from that summer... lots of good times. 

We ended up in 6th at DCA Finals... but entered Finals less than one point out of 3rd. Mission semi-accomplished.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

Boy Howdy, we won't forget her or that other guy. 

"World's Loudest Trumpet Player."  :tongue:

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

there's a way to call for action, then there's this thread

Yes, you’re right. DCP is my only platform, and only method I’m using. 

8 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Jeff, usually I agree with your thoughts but in this one we have a fundamental disagreement. I am very concerned about the survival of the organization. Full stop. That’s it. Nothing about entitlement. I don’t know where you get that from. We have all seen way too many beloved corps enter this death spiral of missing the top twelve and never climbing out of it, and ultimately going out of existence. The Scouts BOD needs to wake up and take action before it’s too late. 

I have a concern or too also. But the way you say it makes so much difference.

Imagine, you're a kid out there now, looking on here at night on the bus...proud to be a member of this great Brotherhood as it's called....and your Brothers are trashing everything you're doing. I'm not talking about the shots at the directors, I am talking saying the show sucks, it won't make finals...how the #### would you feel when you see your Brothers, the guys that paved the way for you, talking #### on you...which you are doing when you trash the show?

You'd be ######. Hell you get ###### people call you out on here for stupid ####. My first couple of years marching at Westshore, some older alumni came around complaining about our show...wasn't drum corps, wasn't real Westshore etc.....and they didn't like it when we fired back. Well that's what this kid did. It's no different than retired football players trashing their old team.

Yeah I'm a critic of some corps and their shows, and brutal at times...but there's a way to say it, and this thread is example #1 on here of how not to say it. Christ it's making old school Hopkins bashing in the Cadets thread look tame.

so good for the kid for speaking up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Ok now we’re aligning on our discussion. I think this is our disagreement:  I say their financial security and future, and therefore the future existence of the corps, is in jeopardy and that on-field competitive results affect the organization financially. You say (I don’t want to put words in your mouth so correct me) they are a stronger more financially diverse organization today. I hope you are right. But I’m afraid you are not. 

How’s that?

Close enough.  And true, placement affects money.  Not as much as yesteryear, though, if that is any comfort. 

But honestly, if a 16th-place corps needs 14th, 12th or even 10th to save themselves from bankruptcy, they are already doing it wrong.

2 hours ago, Nine White Russians said:

Just out of curiosity, what year did DCP launch? I thought it was around 1997. And before that, we had RAMD (remember THOSE crazy days???)

2 hours ago, derek005 said:

RAMD, Those were crazy years! We had Catherine who we will never forget.

you can be banned for typing that name

• Like 2
  • Haha 2