2019 Madison Scouts!

11 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

Just saw a video. My first look.

Im in disbelief that this is the Madison Scouts.

Sorry.

What were the designers thinking? Wow.

This show might not make Friday night.

I can tell you.....they were trying to appease a certain very vocal alumni base that wants the old Madison way. Just like we heard with the Cadets or Phantom...has to be "this" way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Wow... you guys are connected.

I have a friend who has worked for the NSA, and even he didn't get those recaps!!! :laughing:

yeah he did, i forwarded them

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

good job on that. and again thanks for it. :lol:

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I can tell you.....they were trying to appease a certain very vocal alumni base that wants the old Madison way. Just like we heard with the Cadets or Phantom...has to be "this" way. 

If by old way you mean competitively successful and entertaining, I’ll agree with that.  Actual show design decisions?  No. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

So that explains that "The Eagle has landed" phone message I got from him that summer. :tongue:

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

I don’t want the corps to go backwards to go forward, I just want us relevant again. When I look at corps that have alums as their staff, doing great things for others, but those individuals are long gone from Madison, it pains me. To name just a few-Scott Chandler, Todd Ryan, and Michael Shapiro. I don’t have any belief that they would ever come back, but this corps was once a place where members got their start and went on to wildly successful times with other corps, and we aren’t relevant, it’s painful. We’re not all looking for a full retro show, I don’t most are, we just want our corps relevant, and when you have staff turnover like Scouts do over the last 15-20 years, shows that miss the mark more than they hit it, an alumni base that in several occasions has been alienated by a multitude of reasons, and issues they’ve had besides those, I believe we reserve the right to be critical. It’s easy to assume peoples intentions for comments and thoughts, but it’s also pretty absurd to be called out for things without understanding how people feel.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

If by old way you mean competitively successful and entertaining, I’ll agree with that.  Actual show design decisions?  No. 

their version of what should be competitively successful and what works today are diametrically opposed to each other. They want louder, higher faster. they got higher, louder, faster. Just like has been said for several years to the Cadets, running for the sake of running doesn't win anymore.

the show is fun. the kids are busting their ##### and will probably outperform the material they have by the end of the year.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

I don’t want the corps to go backwards to go forward, I just want us relevant again. When I look at corps that have alums as their staff, doing great things for others, but those individuals are long gone from Madison, it pains me. To name just a few-Scott Chandler, Todd Ryan, and Michael Shapiro. I don’t have any belief that they would ever come back, but this corps was once a place where members got their start and went on to wildly successful times with other corps, and we aren’t relevant, it’s painful. We’re not all looking for a full retro show, I don’t most are, we just want our corps relevant, and when you have staff turnover like Scouts do over the last 15-20 years, shows that miss the mark more than they hit it, an alumni base that in several occasions has been alienated by a multitude of reasons, and issues they’ve had besides those, I believe we reserve the right to be critical. It’s easy to assume peoples intentions for comments and thoughts, but it’s also pretty absurd to be called out for things without understanding how people feel.

this may sting but....outside the Carmen show year...Madison hasn't truly been relevant since 1999. After missing finals in 2002, they were top 6 once. since 2000 out of finals 5 times, average placement is 10.8. A popular telling of why the slide, while incorrect, is that it started after Scott left. Well no, it started before he left. And the best year since 2000 is one of two with a female in it ( and no I am not advocating for coed status). The organization...admin, alumni...all need to come together and agree being Madison for the sake of Madison, which pretty every show listed, has been a noose slowly circling their necks, and it's time to just go nuts, entice top names to come in, and design for what works today. Vanguard has managed to maintain being Vanguard without relying on the past. Their worst placement ever was what 9th? 

• Like 3

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

this may sting but....outside the Carmen show year...Madison hasn't truly been relevant since 1999. After missing finals in 2002, they were top 6 once. since 2000 out of finals 5 times, average placement is 10.8. A popular telling of why the slide, while incorrect, is that it started after Scott left. Well no, it started before he left. And the best year since 2000 is one of two with a female in it ( and no I am not advocating for coed status). The organization...admin, alumni...all need to come together and agree being Madison for the sake of Madison, which pretty every show listed, has been a noose slowly circling their necks, and it's time to just go nuts, entice top names to come in, and design for what works today. Vanguard has managed to maintain being Vanguard without relying on the past. Their worst placement ever was what 9th? 

Thank you for reiterating my point.