2019 Madison Scouts!

26 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Stu, respectfully I disagree. Madison’s biggest issue over the past 20 years has been program identity. That has done more to kill them then anything. Going back to their roots might be just what they need. Winning isn’t everything, and spending the next few years endearing themselves to the fans would be a great start in the right direction.

And that will miraculously bring in talent and resources? There’s more to it than that.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Stu, respectfully I disagree. Madison’s biggest issue over the past 20 years has been program identity. That has done more to kill them then anything. Going back to their roots might be just what they need. Winning isn’t everything, and spending the next few years endearing themselves to the fans would be a great start in the right direction.

- Madison’s biggest issue over the past 20 years has been program identity. That has done more to kill them then anything. Going back to their roots might be just what they need. -

Blue Devils do not have the same idenity as 20 years ago; nor SCV; nor Bluecoats, Crown, etc.They did not have to go backwards to go forwards.

- spending the next few years endearing themselves to the fans would be a great start in the right direction. -

If the right direction is entertainment first and foremost, and competition taking a back seat if not in the trunk (see Jersey Surf) then yep that would be the right direction.

- Winning isn’t everything. -

An incomplete statement typically made by those who have never won a World Championship. Once a ring is on that finger or gold is around that neck, whether DCI or other another Major League, any other finishing position thereafter is a little hollow. Those who have tasted the top position in a Major League complete the statement this way, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

9 hours ago, Stu said:

I know that critique is no longer done after shows but here is a serious question: What happened to the compromising give and take input between the design staff of each corps and the judges in order to win them over; when did the judges take 'full and complete' control where design is now only their way or no way?

There has been critique after the 3 shows I've been at thus far.

7 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

I thought that face to face process was axed a few years back along with retreat in the name of getting out of the stadium and town earlier. But even if critique is occurring my question still stands: What happened to the compromising give and take input between the design staff of each corps and the judges in order to win them over; when did the judges take 'full and complete' control where design is now only their way or no way?

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

The corps who are consistently winning (or at least competitively relevant) are destination corps for the most experienced 20 and 21 year olds. SCV, BD, Crown, and Bluecoats, right now at the top, Cavaliers/Boston/Cadets in the second tier. Madison hasn't been a destination corps since the early 2000s, and going "hey, who cares about scores, we just want people to like us" isn't going to change that picture.

They had one year in 2005 where they had a program with some edge and experienced performers, and failed to build on that, and it's been bouncing around looking for the magic formula ever since. They need to commit to a group of younger, hungrier designers who have shown some ability in the band or WGI realm and then give them time to figure out what the next version of Madison looks like. Going back to the well from 20 or 30 years ago ain't gonna cut it.

28 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

I believe there are critiques at most all shows up until Atlanta?

52 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

So your solution is to say nothing, and accept things as they are? No thanks. I’d like to see my corps successful on and off the field. 

Good for you.  I mean that.  Because it seems there are others who would rather see the 2019 corps crash and burn, as long as it gets them closer to their ultimate goal of firing the admins/BOD.

Now that the corps is literally "on the field", it would make more sense for alumni to find a way to be supportive for the sake of the marching membership.  It is not practical to fire the entire administration and BOD of the corps during the season anyway, so save the firing campaign for the other 10 months of every year.  For now, how about showing an ounce of appreciation for your best staff hire of the past 8 years (Chuck Naffier), and the far more crowd-pleasing and effective turn that your 2019 show design has taken?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

I believe there are critiques at most all shows up until Atlanta?

But even if critique is occurring my question still stands: What happened to the compromising give and take input between the design staff of each corps and the judges in order to win them over; when did the judges take 'full and complete' control where design is now only their way or no way?

24 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Good for you.  I mean that.  Because it seems there are others who would rather see the 2019 corps crash and burn, as long as it gets them closer to their ultimate goal of firing the admins/BOD.

Now that the corps is literally "on the field", it would make more sense for alumni to find a way to be supportive for the sake of the marching membership.  It is not practical to fire the entire administration and BOD of the corps during the season anyway, so save the firing campaign for the other 10 months of every year.  For now, how about showing an ounce of appreciation for your best staff hire of the past 8 years (Chuck Naffier), and the far more crowd-pleasing and effective turn that your 2019 show design has taken?

My concern is if they wait until August, they make an already fractured alumni base, an abysmal recruiting structure, logistics for camps/auditions that were not ready for 2029 until almost mid-November, etc. behind yet again.

There have been too many years under the CK administration that we’ve been behind and if we wait until August-after finals, we’re behind yet again.

I firmly believe they must take action, the board that is, now, make a leadership change now, have audition/camp information available August 1, as many top corps do, and start an conscious campaign to inundate with info to jump start 2020. There are means to do this that are inexpensive and there are many that would jump at the opportunity to help. 

That, or CK needs to own up now, for the good of ye corps/organization and step down. He’s had a decade, and that’s been MORE than enough time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stu said:

I know that critique is no longer done after shows but here is a serious question: What happened to the compromising give and take input between the design staff of each corps and the judges in order to win them over; when did the judges take 'full and complete' control where design is now only their way or no way?

This is patently false. There is still critique.