2019 Madison Scouts!

1 minute ago, GREENBLUE said:

You do realize that the last three years SCV has marched show designs that we’re gender neutral? They’ve had their most continual success in decades.All males or all females could have marched these shows and had been title contenders.

I’m not sure an all male corps has been Madisons issue the last 20 years. And I’m not Not seeing the thematically tie in with the Cavaliers.

Samurai /007/Machine/Immortal/Mad World/Propaganda/Men Are from Mars (and more) had amazing design success using all males.

I did think of Vanguard as I was finishing my thought. As for Cavies, perhaps. I'm suggesting that the range of options is more limited thematically with an all male corps. 

2 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Not to mention that corps who has done shows about women with men in their ranks.

Show themed don't have to have gender issues in them what so ever....

Agreed. Bluecoats as well with Tilt/Kinetic Noise/Downside Up. Lots of corps have had success without male/female gender references.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Not to mention that corps who has done shows about women with men in their ranks.

Show themed don't have to have gender issues in them what so ever....

They don't. I'm not implying 'issues' at all. A show like 78th and Madison wasn't about 'gender issues,' but the theme of Gene Kelly/Cyd Charisse would have been great with a mixed guard. So would 'Majestic,' with some creativity and imagination.

Edited by mfrontz
Fred astaire was with ginger rogers
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, mfrontz said:

They don't. I'm not implying 'issues' at all. A show like 78th and Madison wasn't about 'gender issues,' but the theme of Gene Kelly/Ginger Rogers would have been great with a mixed guard. So would 'Majestic,' with some creativity and imagination.

Agreed. I grimaced when they pulled out the female cut outs. 

Again. These were bad design choices by the staff.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

Agreed. I grimaced when they pulled out the female cut outs. 

Again. These were bad design choices by the staff.

Bad design choices that got Madison their highest Finals placement in the last decade and a half... 🤔

EDIT: Ignoring "The Carmen Project" in 05, tied for their highest placement in the last 20 years, waaaay before CK and DP came into the fold... 🤔🤔🤔

Edited by MotoSurfBass

Ranked 18th? Will Music City catch Madison? 

Edited by Gantang

19 minutes ago, Gantang said:

Ranked 18th? Will Music City catch Madison? 

No I do not believe so. Talent and experience will prevail. MC is still new to WC

not apples to apples but look at 2007 Madison. They were about 4 corps beating them In the early to mid season and then Madison made a move and passed them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Triple Forte said:

No I do not believe so. Talent and experience will prevail. MC is still new to WC

-> Nothing in the scoring sheets about length of tenure.  

not apples to apples but look at 2007 Madison. They were about 4 corps beating them In the early to mid season and then Madison made a move and passed them. 

-> Is that your prediction?  Madison makes broadcast?  

6 hours ago, mfrontz said:

One does think that a theme like the famous Majestic movie theater in Madison would have greatly benefited from props, a storyline, some characterizations and acting, anything imaginative to engage a contemporary drum corps audience, not to mention the performers of today. 

As a member of the "contemporary drum corps audience", I just wanted to let you know that I find their show engaging the way it is.  And if crowd reaction at shows is any indication, I do not walk alone in that respect.

Nevertheless, it is entirely possible that some such thematic content will be added in during the season.  It may even have been deliberately withheld in the name of "layering".

To be fair, greater minds than the current Scouts creative team have tried a throwback show and it hasn't worked out. I'm thinking Santa Clara 1992, 'Fiddler on the Roof.' But regressing creatively didn't work competitively. Sentimentality trumped innovation with predictable results, although the corps was so good it still placed seventh. One wouldn't have expected Gail Royer to fall into that trap, but he did, and so it's not unthinkable that others would too.

So any show without either props or a storyline is a "throwback show"?

A storyline is not necessary to convey a theme.  So many here point to Bluecoats as a (sorry for the pun) blueprint for what contemporary Madison could be.  They achieved popularity and competitive success portraying themes like Tilt, Kinetic Noise and Down Side Up without storylines.

Since I have no similar examples of prop-free success, I will have to concede that point to you.  Madison should therefore cart a massive stage onto the field so that musicians can climb up on it during the ballad.

This leads me to my last point, which is that perhaps the inclusion of women in the corps will help competitively not simply by increasing the pool of talent, but in allowing the Scouts to begin to explore and innovate in the contemporary drum corps universe, in which storytelling plays such a role, in an easier way than before. I think of the woman cutouts in 2015. 78th and Madison was a good show, but those were cheesy - you needed real women, not just dolls to be manipulated, if you will.

No, you said they need props.  So they delivered.

Even though Cavaliers are currently at higher design and performance standards than Madison, they are running into the same problems thematically - only so many shows these days you can do with just guys. 

Like what - only a few thousand?  I doubt Cavaliers will fold or go co-ed because there are no more show ideas for them.

• Like 1