2019 Madison Scouts!

2 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

This is so important.  My experience with Sonus Brass Theater/Shenandoah Sound since 2007 (when there were 7 of us at one point) was wonderful because of the people, and though I am taking a couple years off right now because of family stuff, I fully intend to go back as long as they are who they are.  🙂  It's the relationships that keep a group going year after year, but long term, it's a great management/administrative team that makes a group truly successful! 🙂

For sure.  X definitely had its fair share of administrative woes (mainly financial; but WGI is a totally different game, and they definitely seem to have their #### figured out now).  Hope you are able to do so.

• Like 1

So this is a question that seriously needs to be asked. Do the Scouts EVER recover? And when I say recover I mean back their perineal spot among the Top 6? I have my doubts, even if the BOD and executive side is changed. I'm concerned they are too far gone now. I worry that you will continue to see members move on to bigger and better and the average age will keep them unable to perform at a Top 6 level. 

3 hours ago, swmstom said:

So this is a question that seriously needs to be asked. Do the Scouts EVER recover? And when I say recover I mean back their perineal spot among the Top 6? I have my doubts, even if the BOD and executive side is changed. I'm concerned they are too far gone now. I worry that you will continue to see members move on to bigger and better and the average age will keep them unable to perform at a Top 6 level. 

I think you need to look at corps with long histories to answer that question. In the 1960’s Garfield Cadets and Boston Crusaders were dominant corps. In the 70’s, both declined. For Cadets and BAC, the writing was on the wall they would fold. Cadets became a dominant force in the 80’s, and while some may have believed BAC would survive anything, few predicted what we are seeing today. 

Madison can survive, Madison can be great again, but Madison has to pull itself together and that’s something Madison has to do. 

• Like 3

On 7/13/2019 at 1:02 AM, FlamMan said:

Its very sad. 3 points behind Academy tonight. Music City might catch Madison! Firing CK, DP and the rest of the failed Scout leaders is very long overdue. 

OMG, other corps outscore us.  Fire the admins/BOD!

You know, Academy and Music City have come a long way.  One thing they both have going for them is that they do not have alumni constantly bashing them, calling their leadership incompetent, and demanding mass firings on a near-daily basis.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 12:02 AM, FlamMan said:

Its very sad. 3 points behind Academy tonight. Music City might catch Madison! Firing CK, DP and the rest of the failed Scout leaders is very long overdue. The coed move is just a ploy to cast this regime as social justice champions who are woke. Frankly it is sickening. This regime is completely incompetent. Shame on the BOD. I wonder what a drum corp legend like Jim Elvord thinks about this mess?

Scouts were 1.6 behind Academy last night. 

The Academy 74.650
8 Madison Scouts 73.050
Edited by Terri Schehr

4 hours ago, Tim K said:

I think you need to look at corps with long histories to answer that question. In the 1960’s Garfield Cadets and Boston Crusaders were dominant corps. In the 70’s, both declined. For Cadets and BAC, the writing was on the wall they would fold. Cadets became a dominant force in the 80’s, and while some may have believed BAC would survive anything, few predicted what we are seeing today. 

Madison can survive, Madison can be great again, but Madison has to pull itself together and that’s something Madison has to do. 

Yes, but today couldn’t be more different from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. During those eras, most members were local, and retention was through the roof. You could have a bad season (‘86 Regiment) and turn it around a year later (‘87 Regiment). That just can’t happen today. So few members are local, and corps like Madison are feeder corps. What BAC did from 2016-2017 was miraculous. A lot of things had to align to make that happen. It’s doubtful it will happen again.

The key is gradual rise, but for that to even happen I think Madison has to completely clean house. It doesn’t appear that will ever happen. This administration seems to be completely clueless and each season seems like a desperate attempt to create a spark with a wet match.

I actually like the show musically, this year. There is also some good drill in there. But, it doesn’t make sense. The uniforms don’t make sense. The style doesn’t make sense. You either go all out old school or you go modern. It’s too bad they could not have this show in a more modern setting, because the music and drill is a actually quite good.

59 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You know, Academy and Music City have come a long way.  One thing they both have going for them is that they do not have alumni constantly bashing them, calling their leadership incompetent, and demanding mass firings on a near-daily basis.

You can't be mad. This used to be a championship level corps. It's a joke now. 

And to the other poster, no. They will not ever fully recover. Not sure phantom does either. Sad times we live in. 

• Like 1

I saw Madison for the first time live last night.  Sigh, look if you want to do a traditional show do one.  I have NO idea what that marching technique is called other than just..bad.  Seriously if Madison is known for ANYTHING is marching technique.  All the motion made no sense.  Look, fix the marching and the drill THEN add all the extra stuff.  Basics first FFS.  Oh, and this isn't just Madison.  Corps that are winning can do both.  The Uniforms/Costumes make the corps look small and don't really show any definition.  Intervals are so tight the whole show. foot phasing, bad lines.  I get everyone uses the front of the field by blocking off the back sides with props (See Mandirans on how to march on only 1/3 field well).  The music was nor really a Madison type show.  Seriously, you guys do not need to move away from what you are for a show design.  Exciting and in your face is sorely needed back in the activity.  Going to be a rough year but I hope next year they do a #### fun show that is a Madison show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Are you mad 🙂 This isn’t about the Academy, Music City, or the Colts. It’s about a design team and administration staff that clearly has no idea what they are doing or any direction. We’re talking about a former World Champion struggle to maintain 16th place. We’re talking about an administration that inherited a corps in good shape from Mason. We’re talking about an administration that has taken that 8th place corps to 16th place. Housecleaning should have happened years ago.

If you failed at your job like that, you would be out of a job really quick.

15 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

You can't be mad. This used to be a championship level corps. It's a joke now. 

And to the other poster, no. They will not ever fully recover. Not sure phantom does either. Sad times we live in. 

When was the last time they were at a championship level? 30 years ago?  They haven’t been in contention since. 

• Thanks 1