2019 Madison Scouts!

9 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

That's irrelevant we're talking about 2019 and not 1980. We're also talking about an 8th place corps rather than a 25th place corps. When Mason left, the Colts were back in the top 25. Mason has proven his worth. He proved his worth with Star and obviously Cook saw something in Mason in '85. He took a corps that didn't exist to 10th place in its very first year, a championship in its 7th season, and iconic status. That's incredible. He didn't do it alone, but he was smart enough to put the right pieces in place. He was smart enough to listen to other people's expertise. He did it again in Madison, although perhaps with less success. He left CK and DP a corps that was in a very good position to have a bright future from a competitive standpoint and one that was relevant. CK and DP have completely destroyed the corps he left them. I'm all for all gender inclusion (I think it's great news and I support it), but let's be real - this is nothing more than another desperate attempt. If the Scouts were fighting for top 5 I very much doubt they wouldn't remain all male. Honestly, it's entire laughable that you would make such a comparison between JM and CK and DP. An absolute success vs miserable failures. STOP defending them - you're part of the problem.

Not sure you even understand who did what here.

Jim Mason was "artistic director" for the Madison Scouts for the 2010-2014 seasons, serving in the role most other corps refer to as a program/staff coordinator.  

Chris Komnick and Dann Petersen have run the corps since 2008.  That means they employed Jim Mason as artistic director.  Funny how they get zero credit for that.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, swmstom said:

I'm not advocating for firing mid tour...that would be insane. But the argument of "who would take over" or "you have to have someone ready" as a reason for not making that move following the tour is equally insane.

There are people demanding firing not just the corps director(s), but the entire BOD as well, without any regard to what would (or even "could") happen next.  THAT is insane.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Yes. Really. It isnt my place or responsibility to put together a succession plan for the Madison Scouts. I have my own business to worry about.

Then why do you think it is your place to demand the mass firing of the corps admins and entire BOD?

• Like 4

AN objective data driven analysis shows that throughout CK's tenure he benefited from Jim Mason's being with Madison. According to the talk at the Stadium Bar during the 2006 Finals' week this is something that many on the 2006 BOD was hoping would happen as early as 2007 but didn't happen until 2010. CK's pre-Mason rankings were 12th in 08 and 15th in 09.

With Mason Madison placed 10th, 10th, 10th, 9th, 11th. 

Post-Mason Madison has placed 8th, 13th, 12th, 16th, and surely <12th this year. 

To his credit, CK did take Madison from 15th to 12th after the wholesale change in late 2006 left the Scouts with no staff and new leadership, but the argument could be made that most of CK's success came from corps Jim Mason assembled. The data show that since Mason departed the trend line is heading down.

BTW I don't know CK and have no affiliation with Madison other than being a fan since 1975.

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Chris Komnick and Dann Petersen have run the corps since 2008.  That means they employed Jim Mason as artistic director.  Funny how they get zero credit for that.

According to many Madison alumni at the Stadium Bar during Finals' week 2006, members of the BOD were courting Mason during that week hoping he would come back in 2007 to be ED. I would give the credit to the BOD for securing Mason since the work began well before CK took over. 

1 hour ago, Gantang said:

According to many Madison alumni at the Stadium Bar during Finals' week 2006, members of the BOD were courting Mason during that week hoping he would come back in 2007 to be ED. I would give the credit to the BOD for securing Mason since the work began well before CK took over. 

And what happened?  Jim Mason didn’t come back, and the Stadium Bar was torn down to make way for more generic apartments. Now where to go for these important discussions? The Essen Haus?  No. That’s being torn down too!!!!!!  So sad. Guess it’s on to State Street Brats. Hold the line there!!!

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Not sure you even understand who did what here.

Jim Mason was "artistic director" for the Madison Scouts for the 2010-2014 seasons, serving in the role most other corps refer to as a program/staff coordinator.  

I think it was great. my questions are why did he leave, and the decisions made since he left

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I think it was great. my questions are why did he leave, and the decisions made since he left

If i remember correctly,Mr.Mason actually posted on DCP that he left Madison to work on the 

an anniversary version of BLAST

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

The corps announced it as a retirement, however he was let go and CK was pathetically trying to save face for doing it, so a retirement announcement makes it easier.

Jim, being a class act, wasn’t going to publicly renounce CK’s ########, so he didn’t.

If this board had a ####### clue, they’d be in NYC right now begging Jim to come serve as ED, and make that change immediately so he can get the ball rolling. 

He’s in NYC right now, back from Japan, so maybe this info would help.