2019 Madison Scouts!

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

This is difficult to believe.

Believe what you want, it’s a rather open “secret” though.

15 hours ago, ndkbass said:

He is at least fun to tailgate with at Purdue games. #BoilerUp

He’s still an awful

ED, and not a pleasant person unless his ### is kissed or you fall in line with his thoughts, otherwise you’re a dinosaur that should blindly donate to the corps and have no other thoughts because they’re archaic, but hey, that’s just my experience and those of many others.

16 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Believe what you want, it’s a rather open “secret” though.

If it were an open secret prior to July 2019, it would be easier to believe.

Whatever.  Whether true or false, it explains a lot about why Madison Scouts are where they are.

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

This is difficult to believe.

no, not really

39 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Whatever.  Whether true or false, it explains a lot about why Madison Scouts are where they are.

i first heard of it in 2015.

45 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Again, believe what you want. I’m only making comments on direct information/quotes, but as we know in this day and age, even concrete information isn’t always believed, so whatever. 

On 7/15/2019 at 6:30 AM, cixelsyd said:

Chris Komnick and Dann Petersen have run the corps since 2008.  That means they employed Jim Mason as artistic director.  Funny how they get zero credit for that.

Chris Komnick fired Jim Mason. Let that sink in. An egregiously stupid management decision. 

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2019 at 12:35 PM, tesmusic said:

He’s still an awful

ED, and not a pleasant person unless his ### is kissed or you fall in line with his thoughts, otherwise you’re a dinosaur that should blindly donate to the corps and have no other thoughts because they’re archaic, but hey, that’s just my experience and those of many others.

I’ve questioned Chris and I have been critical of him in direct communications and he has always responded well to me... Look, I don’t like a lot of decisions that have been made either, but to say that Chris and/or Dann are awful goes too far. They’ve had huge positive influences on hundreds of Scouts in the last 10+ years.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 9:22 PM, FlamMan said:

Wait...so you agree that CK should be fired?

Uh, yah.  Been pretty vocal about that for quite a while.  Even in the coed thread where you responded to my posts (including some you responded to), and older Madison threads from prior years.  I even actively said so while I was marching under him in 2009.

17 minutes ago, weedyweidenthal said:

I’ve questioned Chris and I have been critical of him in direct communications and he has always responded well to me... Look, I don’t like a lot of decisions that have been made either, but to say that Chris and/or Dann are awful goes too far. They’ve had huge positive influences on hundreds of Scouts in the last 10+ years.

This is a good distinction, Weedy.  Thanks for making it.  I do agree with you that there is a big difference between saying they are bad at their jobs and/or calling for them to step-down/be fired and saying they are bad/terrible people.  Hence my example about tailgating at Purdue games with Komnick; I also rode to some camps with him when I was marching (mainly during 2008).  Even though I do not like their administrative decisions, I still think I can/could grab a beer with either of them, and do not "hate" them or see them as "bad people."  Personally speaking, if I had more of a bone to pick with one of them, it would be Dann.  But that is just me.

Also, like I have previously said, regardless of his past accolades and general favorable status with alumni and fans, I would not rehire Mason.  ####, I would not have hired him when they did to begin with.  I (personally) think that it is time for fresh blood all around, and (in my opinion) that means pre-2000's folk need to take a step back for a variety of reasons.  Really, probably pre-2003 or pre-2007.  But that is a slightly different conversation.  The corps needs to be forward looking, not stuck in the past.  That is part of the issue I would have with Mason and any pre-2003 folk taking the helm.  So many of the guys that came before me or that I marched with are now music educators/adjudicators/band directors/etc., and could bring a fresh and welcome perspective to the corps if they were interested or given the opportunity in ways that folk like Mason cannot.