2019 Madison Scouts!

6 minutes ago, contrascout said:

Write checks and shut up, you sure you don't want to rephrase that?

That’s right! Imagine if every person writing a check felt entitled to tell an organization how to run things. I’m talking in general, not just the Scouts. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, contrascout said:

Write checks and shut up, you sure you don't want to rephrase that?

Please point to where I told people to "shut up."  Do not believe I said so; actually, am 100% positive I did not say so.

What I said was to take a step back and sit down (i.e., pass the torch and watch).  That does not prevent folks from voicing their concerns (here, at Board meetings, at alumni get togethers, into the void, wherever), but it does imply that they open up seats on the Board of Directors and upper-administrative roles for new and younger folk to take charge of the organization.  It also implies, as I explicitly stated, that they are welcome as motivational speakers and to pass on institutional knowledge from their time with the corps.  However, that is a big difference than actually running the day-to-day activities of the corps.  Elvord came and spoke while I was there in 2007-2009.  It was great.  He was not in charge.  One of the best alumni, who has now passed, donated a steak dinner every year and would come, watch rehearsal, say hello, and eat with us.  That was about it (he was also usually more interested in talking about his time flying P-51's in WWII than his days in the corps as I recall).  He did not need to do more, that was more than enough.  Another great alumni family runs a Piggly Wiggly, and whenever the corps was in their hometown (usually for a 4th of July parade and show) they would host the corps for a bbq.  Those are great things, but they did not involve themselves in actively running the day-to-day of the corps.  Some may also have been on the Board at different times and or donated various sums of money over the years.  That is what I am suggesting.  Continue supporting the organization, or do not, but it is time for folks to allow for a transfer of power to the younger, newer generations that are more in tune with the activity as it currently exists.  Dann marched in the mid to late nineties, over 20 years ago now.  Chris marched in the mid 80s, even further back.  Folk who marched in the early 2000s are in the prime of their careers and should be given the opportunity to direct the organization.  I could list a whole bunch who I think would be great at it (but many may have no interest, or, like myself, are in areas of employment outside of or removed from the activity/music education/music as a whole).  I also do not think it needs to be limited to people who are alumni of the organization.  The real issue it seems is getting people who want to do so, and making it worth their while.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

That’s right! Imagine if every person writing a check felt entitled to tell an organization how to run things. I’m talking in general, not just the Scouts. 

Interesting point.  Although, writing a cheque in some way is speaking, is it not?

I would donate much more to many organizations without care if I was not (1) unemployed and looking for employment, and (2) swamped in student loan debt.  If I did write more cheques to the corps I am an alumnus of, I would do so to support and continue the activity regardless of who was in charge because I know money helps, and even if I disagreed with the leadership/direction, would not want the organization to cease existing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

Interesting point.  Although, writing a cheque in some way is speaking, is it not?

Yep, even the Supreme Court agrees with you.

31 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

Please point to where I told people to "shut up."  Do not believe I said so; actually, am 100% positive I did not say so.

Here, let me fix the rest for you.  

What I said was to take a step back and sit down (i.e., pass the torch and watch).  

That does not prevent folks from voicing their concerns (here, at Board meetings, at alumni get togethers, into the void, wherever), but it does imply that they open up seats on the Board of Directors and upper-administrative roles for new and younger folk to take charge of the organization.  

It also implies, as I explicitly stated, that they are welcome as motivational speakers and to pass on institutional knowledge from their time with the corps.  

However, that is a big difference than actually running the day-to-day activities of the corps.  

Elvord came and spoke while I was there in 2007-2009.  It was great.  He was not in charge.  

One of the best alumni, who has now passed, donated a steak dinner every year and would come, watch rehearsal, say hello, and eat with us.  That was about it (he was also usually more interested in talking about his time flying P-51's in WWII than his days in the corps as I recall).  He did not need to do more, that was more than enough.  

Another great alumni family runs a Piggly Wiggly, and whenever the corps was in their hometown (usually for a 4th of July parade and show) they would host the corps for a bbq.  

Those are great things, but they did not involve themselves in actively running the day-to-day of the corps.  

Some may also have been on the Board at different times and or donated various sums of money over the years.  That is what I am suggesting.  

Continue supporting the organization, or do not, but it is time for folks to allow for a transfer of power to the younger, newer generations that are more in tune with the activity as it currently exists.  

Dann marched in the mid to late nineties, over 20 years ago now.  Chris marched in the mid 80s, even further back.  

Folk who marched in the early 2000s are in the prime of their careers and should be given the opportunity to direct the organization.  

I could list a whole bunch who I think would be great at it (but many may have no interest, or, like myself, are in areas of employment outside of or removed from the activity/music education/music as a whole).  

I also do not think it needs to be limited to people who are alumni of the organization.  The real issue it seems is getting people who want to do so, and making it worth their while.

Now I can read it.  I think you have something valuable to say.  Spending a few extra "Returns" may help you.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

What I said was to take a step back and sit down (i.e., pass the torch and watch).  That does not prevent folks from voicing their concerns (here, at Board meetings, at alumni get togethers, into the void, wherever), but it does imply that they open up seats on the Board of Directors and upper-administrative roles for new and younger folk to take charge of the organization.  It also implies, as I explicitly stated, that they are welcome as motivational speakers and to pass on institutional knowledge from their time with the corps.  However, that is a big difference than actually running the day-to-day activities of the corps.  Elvord came and spoke while I was there in 2007-2009.  It was great.  He was not in charge.  One of the best alumni, who has now passed, donated a steak dinner every year and would come, watch rehearsal, say hello, and eat with us.  That was about it (he was also usually more interested in talking about his time flying P-51's in WWII than his days in the corps as I recall).  He did not need to do more, that was more than enough.  Another great alumni family runs a Piggly Wiggly, and whenever the corps was in their hometown (usually for a 4th of July parade and show) they would host the corps for a bbq.  Those are great things, but they did not involve themselves in actively running the day-to-day of the corps.  Some may also have been on the Board at different times and or donated various sums of money over the years.  That is what I am suggesting.  Continue supporting the organization, or do not, but it is time for folks to allow for a transfer of power to the younger, newer generations that are more in tune with the activity as it currently exists.  Dann marched in the mid to late nineties, over 20 years ago now.  Chris marched in the mid 80s, even further back.  Folk who marched in the early 2000s are in the prime of their careers and should be given the opportunity to direct the organization.  I could list a whole bunch who I think would be great at it (but many may have no interest, or, like myself, are in areas of employment outside of or removed from the activity/music education/music as a whole).  I also do not think it needs to be limited to people who are alumni of the organization.  The real issue it seems is getting people who want to do so, and making it worth their while.

Ok, I can agree with this and say I read too deep into your other post.  My bad.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, contrascout said:

Ok, I can agree with this and say I read too deep into your other post.  My bad.

No worries!

41 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

Now I can read it.  I think you have something valuable to say.  Spending a few extra "Returns" may help you.

Noted!  I always write single-spaced in academia, so I am used to that.  Will think in "double-spacing" if that helps!

Edited by ndkbass

OK,  I see there is a lot of inside baseball about the Scouts current organizational situation.  I hope that gets resolved and they flourish.

I am only here to say, that I finally got the chance to get a good look at the show this year via the web in San Antonio. 

Isn't this show the answer to many of us dino's complaints over the last few years?  Not one prop.  Not one stage.  Marching an playing and in your face drum corps.

I almost jumped off the couch and dropped my laptop to give a standing ovation more than once during the show.  (Didn't want to wake up my wife though).

Thank you Scouts!.  I cannot wait to see you live in Indy.  I love this show and wanted you to know, that I believe you are going to be a huge crowd pleaser for the rest of the season.  I know the scores by themselves are disappointing, but I want to emphatically say, #### the scores.  What an entertaining show and the members are putting so much energy into their performance. 

Good luck and I'll be rooting for you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This! Comments about the Admin and BOD aside (let's worry about that in the off season), this show is such a blast to watch and listen to!

Go Scouts!! Full throttle ahead Brothers!!!