2019 Madison Scouts!

3 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

Your thoughts on 2017, then?

search the archives. get a drink and a comfy chair

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Worst uni ever.

I think 2018 might have something to say about that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have seen Madison on line this year and I love the more traditional show! Too bad I won't get to see it in the movie theater (except for a snippet). Next year they will no longer be the Madison Scouts (IMO). I really enjoy Madison and Troopers for forgoing the excesses of recent years and going for more precision marching over scenery and a checklist of narration, props, trombones, and bug-squashing. It looks like Bluecoats will get the Gold this year. They definitely have earned the 'High Scenery" trophy. (nod to Roller Coaster Tycoon).

16 minutes ago, denverjohn said:

I have seen Madison on line this year and I love the more traditional show! Too bad I won't get to see it in the movie theater (except for a snippet). Next year they will no longer be the Madison Scouts (IMO). I really enjoy Madison and Troopers for forgoing the excesses of recent years and going for more precision marching over scenery and a checklist of narration, props, trombones, and bug-squashing. It looks like Bluecoats will get the Gold this year. They definitely have earned the 'High Scenery" trophy. (nod to Roller Coaster Tycoon).

Hi scenery trophy? Is that an stab at actually being better than Madison Scouts and Troopers? Sorry but both Corps are not even in the same league as Coats. If you like Madison and Troops then say it without insults to others. ok? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi = Hello

High = a level, above, etc.

High Scenery: A reference to the former captions that used to affect scoring outcomes in drum corps. (High horns, High drums, High M&M, High GE, etc.)

Scoresheets and the analysis criteria have been rewritten over the years to reward a very different product including much that is not performer generated. (pre-recorded singing, pre-recorded narration, professional painting and prop design, sound levels manipulated by adults behind the podium, etc.)

Sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek references are not "insults". Buck-up there, snowflake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Couldn't they just start practicing 2&1/2 hours earlier?   They do get to leave 2&1/2 hrs earlier for the next show than those Corps on later.  The day is 24 hrs long for every Corps

I think most neighborhoods may have an issue with corps using an amplified metronome or playing at 6:00 am.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Gantang said:

I think most neighborhoods may have an issue with corps using an amplified metronome or playing at 6:00 am.

Most sound/noise ordinances are in effect from 22:00 (10:00pm) until 07:00 the following morning.  A corps would most likely be unable to start making noise/rehearsing before then.

This also does not take into account the nature of overnight bus trips and time of arrival to the next destination.  I think that proper sleep and downtime/floor time is important to health of membership and effective rehearsal/performance.  So, even though a corps may be able to rehearse more, that does not mean that they should.  More rehearsal time does not necessarily guarantee a better performance.  In my opinion, it is primarily about rehearsing smarter, not harder.

On average (if my memory serves me correctly), we had about 4.5 to 5.5 hours of rehearsal at Blue Devils in 2010 (on System Blue days, this maybe was more like 3 hours after clinic stuff is factored in).  We also were guaranteed four hours of floor time regardless of trip length/arrival time.  Least amount of injuries, illness, and bad attitudes in an ensemble I have ever seen.

• Like 1