2019 Madison Scouts!

3 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

Now let's not get too crazy. Pioneer was about as rock bottom as a corps could get. Things are rough for Madison; but I don't think they're Pioneer bad, yet.

They’re closer to Pioneer right now than they are to Blue Devils. 

Edit:  to add the obligatory- I’m not criticizing the marching members, I’m criticizing the leadership team. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

The disappointments just keep accumulating even though I truly enjoy this show. If ever the adage you can't go home again was ever applicable in drum corps, this is the evidence. 

7 hours ago, corps8294 said:

Now let's not get too crazy. Pioneer was about as rock bottom as a corps could get. Things are rough for Madison; but I don't think they're Pioneer bad, yet.

No, they aren't. I have to ask corps8294...did you consider not adding "yet"? 😉 My comparison was hyperbolic on purpose, but it is clear that the City of Madison can't support a World Class drum corps any more than Milwaukee. I'd be interested in knowing how many current Scouts are from Wisconsin let alone Madison. 

I've posted before that I doubt that Madison will have 5 Star recruits audition for spots in 2020. The individual talent level seems to be dropping each year and there is only so much a design team can do with unskilled performers. I know the current corps is working hard and performing their show given to them at the top of their ability, but the show they were given is not diamond standard (it's more of a turd, and you can't polish a turd). 

Adding females will probably bring a lot of girls who want to be in the first co-ed Madison, but will they be the most talented of the girls in drum corps? Probably not. Therefore the same talent levels of girls and boys will be filling the ranks.

Fundraising will also be tough when you sit at the bottom of the WC corps. Fewer funds, a lack of top talent, limited show design options, and a lack of identity could make the future for Madison bleak at best. BUT, the current MM are working hard and should be commended. If there were still 1st and 2nd tours Madison could have lost a few members during the break. 

Edited by Gantang
To clarify meaning.

1 hour ago, Gantang said:

No, they aren't. I have to ask corps8294...did you consider not adding "yet"? 😉 My comparison was hyperbolic on purpose, but it is clear that the City of Madison can't support a World Class drum corps any more than Milwaukee. I'd be interested in knowing how many current Scouts are from Wisconsin let alone Madison. 

I've posted before that I doubt that Madison will have 5 Star recruits audition for spots in 2020. The individual talent level seems to be dropping each year and there is only so much a design team can do with unskilled performers. I know the current corps is working hard and performing at the top of their ability, but you can't polish a turd.

Adding females will probably bring a lot of girls who want to be in the first co-ed Madison, but will they be the most talented of the girls in drum corps? Probably not. Therefore the same talent levels of girls and boys will be filling the ranks.

Fundraising will also be tough when you sit at the bottom of the WC corps. Fewer funds, a lack of top talent, limited show design options, and a lack of identity could make the future for Madison bleak at best. BUT, the current MM are working hard and should be commended. If there were still 1st and 2nd tours Madison could have lost a few members during the break. 

You just called the students of a bunch of parents turds. And you are helping how?!!!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Rileydog said:

You just called the students of a bunch of parents turds. And you are helping how?!!!

That's how you interpreted my comment that "the current corps is working hard and performing at the top of their ability"? The SHOW design is not at the level of the top tier corps. Their designs are diamonds while the Scouts' current product design is a turd. Swap out the kids in the Bluecoats with Madison and have them perform the exact same products and Madison's would not be earning the highest scores.

And, I'm not helping anyone. I'm opining, which is what these boards are for.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gantang said:

That's how you interpreted my comment that "the current corps is working hard and performing at the top of their ability"? The SHOW design is not at the level of the top tier corps. Their designs are diamonds while the Scouts' current product design is a turd. Swap out the kids in the Bluecoats with Madison and have them perform the exact same products and Madison's would not be earning the highest scores.

And, I'm not helping anyone. I'm opining, which is what these boards are for.  

No, I think he/she was referring to the following:

"I know the current corps is working hard and performing at the top of their ability, but you can't polish a turd."

5 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

No, I think he/she was referring to the following:

"I know the current corps is working hard and performing at the top of their ability, but you can't polish a turd."

yeah,  the turd in this sentence is the show not the students. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bluecoats88 said:

yeah,  the turd in this sentence is the show not the students. 

Might want to re-word that sentence.  At least two people were confused.

24 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

Might want to re-word that sentence.  At least two people were confused.

He is undeterred. 

If within two years the Scouts are no longer in existence I wander sometimes how many people would even care?