2019 Madison Scouts!

The crowds do love this show, I know it’s a bit outdated by today’s standards but from what I’ve seen on line, it’s been getting a few standing O’s from city to city. Also, the members look really, really young to me too. 

6 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

He is undeterred. 

Under turd?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

If we are going to take scores from different contests out of context, then the Hawthorne Caballeros are also ahead of Madison. 

I'm excited to be marching the theater show with Bucs this year! 🙄

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

check out crown

those scout boxes are no Zpull for wow points! 😉

4 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

It’s the trend that matters. 

This is an argument for stasis. The only time a corps is not in danger of folding tomorrow is if continues to rank what it has ranked in the past. Positive movement is to be celebrated; negative movement means the doors will close tomorrow.

If that's the argument, fine. Make it. I haven't heard any coherent support for it yet.

I'm not here to argue that Scouts Nation should be doing cartwheels over their current competitive standing. I'm only trying to understand why 15-20 for Scouts should be considered more disastrous for them than 15-20 is for Troopers, PacCrest, etc.

Look, I understand that competition is the engine that drives the excellence, and excellence attracts all sorts of positives -- members, support, T-shirt sales, etc. It's natural to strive to rise. It's the point of the DCI experience.

But competition is dynamic. Some rise, some fall. Yet when it comes to Scouts, we hear the argument that they cannot survive downward movement. Not that they will be bummed and bounce back, but that they will fold.

Some have said this is so because Scouts are beset with leadership that is inferior to leadership at other 15-20 corps.

Well. First, let's have the evidence, please. Lots of emotion and speculation and character-centered accusation flying around, but not much actual hard data. And no, the ranking itself is not evidence. PacCrest is in 15-20 land, too, and apparently their leadership is just fine. The Scouts naysayers say practically everyone else has superior leadership, yet we don't hear any of them claiming that Troopers need to climb out of 15-20 to survive.

What gets under my skin is the underlying contention that there ought to be a natural order to DCI, and it requires Scouts to be ranked in the Top 12. It's fine for Colts to dwell in 15-20 land, but not Scouts, by God. A Scouts organization outside the Top 12 is a Scouts organization no more.

Spare me. Spare the Colts. Spare all those who labor outside the Top 12 and manage to deliver positive, life-changing experiences to the young people who voluntarily give up their summers for their non-Scouts corps -- and to drive paying audiences to their feet in the process.

What's happened with the Scouts is not unnatural. Their current reality is the year-in-year-out reality for much of the population of DCI. It's not a crisis of existence. I'd say the same about Cadets and their travails this season.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 6

The difference is Scouts are former World Champs, perennial Top 6 and one of the biggest, baddest corps in DCI. They were a destination corps, not a feeder. They were one of the most popular corps out there...and this wasn't THAT long ago in the big scheme of DCI history. Those other corps can't say the same. Those groups you mentioned have always been around the 15-20 range with a few exception years. This is unchartered territory for Scouts, so yes, alumni are raging mad right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, swmstom said:

The difference is Scouts are former World Champs, perennial Top 6 and one of the biggest, baddest corps in DCI. They were a destination corps, not a feeder. They were one of the most popular corps out there...and this wasn't THAT long ago in the big scheme of DCI history. Those other corps can't say the same. Those groups you mentioned have always been around the 15-20 range with a few exception years. This is unchartered territory for Scouts, so yes, alumni are raging mad right now.

Well, their last stretch of "Top 6" ended in 1999.  Which is 20 years ago, right?  Many (most) MMs today were, if born, still in diapers.  If that is your criteria as a destination corps, then its one hellofava long time ago. Since 1999, they have placed 6th once, and 12 years (plus this year) they have been in the double digits.  They do have a grand tradition, as do many of the corps, but tradition does not equate with excellence.  

If the alumni are Mad(ison) (sorry, could not help myself), they need to band together (should be something they know about) and do something.  Raise (a lot of) money.  Volunteer. Work along side of the management and help them.  Join the board. Tour with them and encourage the MMs. Lots of things to do.  But carping on a discussion board does not do the trick.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, swmstom said:

Amen!! 

• Like 2

Destination vs. feeder . . . . "perennial top 6" vs. "Always been around the 15-20 range"

This is the natural order argument. Scouts must be top 6. Any other ranking is a disorder in the pre-ordained arrangement of the cosmos. All others corps should be happy to accept their place as feeders. That's how nature intends it.

As an argument, it sure explains why alums might be consternated at the moment. But it still fails to answer why their consternation should be any greater than that of any other 15-20 corps. It relies on history to explain today, and I've not yet seen any reason why the Scout's history should count for more than the history of any 15-20 corps.

• Like 3