2019 Madison Scouts!

4 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

The phrase used was "perennial top 6".  Troopers were perennially top 6 from 1965 through 1974, a full decade.

So?  This has nothing to do with the 2019 Scouts discussion. Why are you people falling for these bait and switch posts?  Just don’t engage in the diversions. 

Joined a corps that had been inactive in 1974. 22 years before that they win VFW Nationals (their championships as sponsored by VFW). So what did the previous win mean in 1974.... NOTHING.

so why even bring up 2 decade old past....

35 minutes ago, 64DaysLater said:

The corps should retire the name "Madison" and just go to "The Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps". Retire the Madison name to history to respect old tradition but show that the organization is now in a new  era.

Why?  What other corps that might be going through a rough spell has changed their name?  As a founding corps, Boston was probably the last one to make finals and it took 27 years.  They love their corps name .  The Madison Scouts  need to keep their name.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Tupac said:

Amen!! 

Well I think it is amusing to follow this thread.  However, just my 2 cents.  Personally, I would rather see The Madison Scouts FOLDD than to be a lower tier feeder corps to the current DCI hand picked top 6.  I believe that that Scouts have been purposely under scored for many years now.  It probably goes back to the Stewart/Hopkin feud and sometimes war.  I know that Hopkins would become unhinged at the very mention of Scott Stewart's name.  Madison was a he mans drum corps in the G bugle days.  Having been to so many DCI World Championships beginning in 1972 in Whitewater as I and my brother sat in the stands with Keith Stolberg in the pouring rain until every score was announced.   And many other DCI world championships.  Those shows at Camp Randall were the best ever.  Now today I am not sure that any reference to Drum Corps should be used in the title.  It really is not a Drum and Bugle Corps anymore.  The change began with the talk of trying to have this "pageant" as an Olympic sport.  Its turned into Ice Capades without the skates.  The mention of the present 15-20 corps have not really progressed outside of Seattle one year and the Trooper many years ago.  But none of them except for the Scouts have been top 6 much top less 12 ever.  There has always been an expectation of the once powerful Madison  Scouts.  If the BOD is the starting point of bad decisions, replace them.  Replace anybody who is not producing.  But prop up those great young men of the ranks who put the product on the field.  Hats off to the marching members who endure all of this.  If the BOD and Staff need replacing, then so does ALL of DCI starting with the shameful executive director.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Why?  What other corps that might be going through a rough spell has changed their name?  As a founding corps, Boston was probably the last one to make finals and it took 27 years.  They love their corps name .  The Madison Scouts  need to keep their name.

It's a misnomer. Not only are they not from Madison and they're not even from Wisconsin. Rebrand them into the co-ed corps they will be from Bloomington IN.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, panama303 said:

Personally, I would rather see The Madison Scouts FOLDD than to be a lower tier feeder corps to the current DCI hand picked top 6.  I believe that that Scouts have been purposely under scored for many years now. 

Handpicked? They earned their spots with good management, design teams, and talent. For some it took years. Crown didn't luck into medalist territory. It took Boston years to make finals. Three years ago they almost dropped out, now they look like the next first time medalist, maybe not this year, but soon. Blue Stars were not even World Class for more than 20 years and they appear ready to challenge for a top six position. 

I agree, it is very hard to move up, but it can be done. 

Madison can get back in finals and can compete at a high level again, but it will take quite a few years to get back there. They certainly need a design team that can put a show on the field that can score well under the rules these days. And they need a team that can attract talented kids. Current marchers don't remember Madison when they were great, so name alone will attract no one except maybe the occasional legacy. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, panama303 said:

I believe that that Scouts have been purposely under scored for many years now.  It probably goes back to the Stewart/Hopkin feud and sometimes war.  

Let me get this straight ... you think that the 2019 Madison Scouts are receiving lower marks than they deserve because, decades ago, a man who hasn't participated in DCI for 15 years got into arguments with a man who was thrown out of DCI, his corps and multiple halls of fame last year?

Have you considered instead that the judges on recent panels thought Troopers were a bit better? I mean, I know it sounds a little crazy, but I'm just putting it out there... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

Holy Name Cadets, Cadets of Bergan County, Garfield Cadets, The Cadets....

I'm thinking 64DaysLater is extremely frustrated that Madison is in a major free fall competitively and suggests they change their name.   Boston and The Cadets had several name changes, but neither corps was struggling, I believe, like Madison is right now.