2019 Madison Scouts!

44 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

But no amount of firings or online tantrums are going to get Madison back in the top 6.

Tantrums no. Firings quite possibly.

Madison had a great show tonight in Alabama.  Crowds responded very well as they mostly have all season. This is a great group of kids who are fighting with a lot of class.   They know things are not what they wanted this season... they are happy with the uniform they are asked to wear this year.....and the program they have been handed .... crowds do like the show this year.  There are things that are positive this season over the last couple of years.  I enjoy the show much more over some of the last few efforts.... so I am seeing the glass half full.  Keep pushing Scouts.   Are there issues that need to be examined closer? I believe there are.  I think those "issues" should do some self evaluation and look in the mirror and ask themselves some serious questions.   Somethings gotta give......  but I will stay half full... always room for improvement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

And this is precisely what irritates me about all the hand-wringing about the Scouts. No one spares a concern for any other 15-20 corps. Only Scouts warrant concern and worry. Only the Scouts matter. The rest? Who cares about them? They can rot. Why? Because we love the Scouts -- gosh, they were so good! -- and we don't give two figs about Colts or PC or Troop or any other corps that didn't dominate the first half of DCI's life. Scouts deserve an emergency intervention because fans and alums have interest in them. Other corps? Sorry; can't spare any interest in them. It is pre-ordained by the drum corps gods that they shall remain 15-20 and like it.

It's arrogrant. It's condescending. It's the dark underside of the competitive nature of drum corps.

I, too, have loved the Scouts through the years, and I expect to love them for many years to come. But I will not consider their current situation to warrant a level of concern greater than is owed to any other corps in that area of the rankings.

You really don't understand why alums of the corps and their long-time fans are more concerned about their favorite corps than the others? It's not "arrogant" and "condescending." It's competition! I don't dislike any corps, but I only root for one -- the Madison Scouts have been my favorite since 1971. It's the nature of any competitive sport or activity. You complain that the Scouts are getting too much attention from their former members and fans. They want their favorite corps to do well. Shocking!

I see you started the Troopers 2019 thread, so you must be a big fan/supporter of the corps. Maybe you are upset that the Scouts are getting so much more attention than a corps they currently are roughly equal to competitively?  So unfair 😠 Maybe you should spend more time pontificating on the Troopers thread and less here. Until they stop keeping score and hand out trophies to everybody for participating, most people -- not you obviously -- will continue to root for their favorite corps to outscore the competition.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, WarriorHal said:

You really don't understand why alums of the corps and their long-time fans are more concerned about their favorite corps than the others? It's not "arrogant" and "condescending." It's competition! I don't dislike any corps, but I only root for one -- the Madison Scouts have been my favorite since 1971. It's the nature of any competitive sport or activity. You complain that the Scouts are getting too much attention from their former members and fans. They want their favorite corps to do well. Shocking!

I see you started the Troopers 2019 thread, so you must be a big fan/supporter of the corps. Maybe you are upset that the Scouts are getting so much more attention than a corps they currently are roughly equal to competitively?  So unfair 😠 Maybe you should spend more time pontificating on the Troopers thread and less here. Until they stop keeping score and hand out trophies to everybody for participating, most people -- not you obviously -- will continue to root for their favorite corps to outscore the competition.

I don't know much of @2muchcoffeeman, but I'm 99% positive he's a BK man (or woman). I'm a fellow Coloradan (although I have no connection to the Blue Knights, other than loving them the last few years), but I get the idea of pumping up a fellow rocky mountain corps --- there's only 2 here, and Casper is only 4 hours up I-25. Other than that, I could be wrong, but I'm unaware if 2MCM has connections to Troop other than a fan via location.

15 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

And this is precisely what irritates me about all the hand-wringing about the Scouts. No one spares a concern for any other 15-20 corps. Only Scouts warrant concern and worry. Only the Scouts matter. The rest? Who cares about them? They can rot. Why? Because we love the Scouts -- gosh, they were so good! -- and we don't give two figs about Colts or PC or Troop or any other corps that didn't dominate the first half of DCI's life. Scouts deserve an emergency intervention because fans and alums have interest in them. Other corps? Sorry; can't spare any interest in them. It is pre-ordained by the drum corps gods that they shall remain 15-20 and like it.

It's arrogrant. It's condescending. It's the dark underside of the competitive nature of drum corps.

I, too, have loved the Scouts through the years, and I expect to love them for many years to come. But I will not consider their current situation to warrant a level of concern greater than is owed to any other corps in that area of the rankings.

Well genius, you are in the Madison Scouts thread. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What's mind boggling to me is that I haven't enjoyed a Madison Scouts show this much since '97 and before that...the entire decade of the 1980s. :thumbup:
In terms of the shows that really entertain me, this year, Madison is right up there! 
1. Blue Stars
2. Bluecoats
3. Madison Scouts
4. Pacific Crest

9 hours ago, corps8294 said:

The same could have been said about the Blue Stars prior to '82. Welcome to the reality of rebuilding. 

Blue Star are not two time DCI World Champions. There are only a small handful of corps that can make the claim of having won DCI.

Kingsmen
SCV
Madison
Blue Devils
Cadets
Star
Cavaliers
Phantom
Carolina Crown
Bluecoats

Any one of who ever marched in one of these corps has a higher expectation for their corps than any fan or alum of other corps could fathom. They wear their championships like a badge of honor.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Gantang said:

Blue Star are not two time DCI World Champions. There are only a small handful of corps that can make the claim of having won DCI.

Kingsmen
SCV
Madison
Blue Devils
Cadets
Star
Cavaliers
Phantom
Carolina Crown
Bluecoats

Any one of who ever marched in one of these corps has a higher expectation for their corps than any fan or alum of other corps could fathom. They wear their championships like a badge of honor.

I doubt that. I'm sure they pride themselves on their championships; but to say those other corps that haven't won the gold don't have high exceptions is straight up bulls**t. The Blue Stars have endured and persevered through a lot more than the Madison Scouts, that's for sure. Spare me the pity party, son. 

31 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

I doubt that. I'm sure they pride themselves on their championships; but to say those other corps that haven't won the gold don't have high exceptions is straight up bulls**t. The Blue Stars have endured and persevered through a lot more than the Madison Scouts, that's for sure. Spare me the pity party, son. 

This wasn't about Blue Stars until you made it so. It's about the Madison Scouts continued fall from glory and how to stem the portentous reality Madison is living. No one is feeling sorry from what I've read. This thread is fraught with frustration and at times even some anger, but pity? I don't agree.

On 7/26/2019 at 1:42 AM, FlamMan said:

Madison has already won the off season??? Please explain. This is the worst time in the history of the Madison Scouts.

We’ll see what happens. i happen to think there will be an extraordinary interest in the Scouts this next offseason. They are overdue for coed. Even the real “scouts” have become inclusive of gender orientation. Madison will reap the benefits of their action while the last remaining gender-exclusive corps will be left to ponder their own future on this issue.