2019 Madison Scouts!

12 minutes ago, panama303 said:

If I recall that far back, it seems like that period of the demise of the Blue Stars was a result of how many female members came off tour pregnant.  

I was there and the number was zero. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, corps8294 said:

I doubt that. I'm sure they pride themselves on their championships; but to say those other corps that haven't won the gold don't have high exceptions is straight up bulls**t. The Blue Stars have endured and persevered through a lot more than the Madison Scouts, that's for sure. Spare me the pity party, son. 

It shouldn't be difficult to comprehend and understand why & how organizations who are used to winning championships have higher expectations than those that dont. BD expects to win every year. Crossmen and many others just hope to make finals. See the difference?

20 minutes ago, panama303 said:

If I recall that far back, it seems like that period of the demise of the Blue Stars was a result of how many female members came off tour pregnant.  

Must have been the hot pants! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2019 at 12:00 AM, FlamMan said:

This really isn't that difficult to understand...except for you apparently. The Madison Scouts... THE MADISON SCOUTS are currently ranked 19th. Drum Corp fans aren't used to seeing Madison behind Troopers, PC, SOA, Colts, etc... Drum corps fans are used to these other corps being ranked 15-20...but not the Madison Scouts...this is uncharted and rough waters for Madison. Surely you understand and recognize The Madison Scouts place in the history of this activity. The Madison Scouts are drum corps royalty, along with Cavaliers, SCV, Garfield, BD.

Maybe what you need to understand a little better, is that "most" drum corps fans are no longer shocked by Madison's placement. That is a bewilderment reserved at this point for Madison homers and alumni.  This activity has the attention span of the 24/7 news cycle.  There is roughly a 6 year generational turnover in DCI. How many incoming classes now have never witnessed Madison's "greatness" except on TV?

Edited by BozzlyB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, FlamMan said:

"Royalty" organizations exist in every industry, activity, sport, etc... Ford, GE, IBM, Coca Cola, Microsoft... Yankees, Cowboys, Celtics, Packers, Canadiens...Cavies, Garfield, SCV, BD, Madison.

That’s fine, but realize that royalty doesn’t transfer from one generation to the next. It used to, but it just doesn’t anymore.

Before the Internet, cable Tv and accessible air travel, brands were heavily regionalized, and as a result people didn’t have access to things outside of their area. Now, an Ohio kid is just as likely to sign a football scholarship with Alabama or Southern Cal as they are Ohio State.

Im old enough now to find myself talking about things with my kids that seem like a few years ago that I assume everyone accepts as reality. I can’t tell you how weird it is for them to have zero, literally no, point of reference for this brand royalty I had accepted my whole life. Kids just do not care as much about the historical stuff we did as kids.

9 hours ago, FlamMan said:

It shouldn't be difficult to comprehend and understand why & how organizations who are used to winning championships have higher expectations than those that dont. BD expects to win every year. Crossmen and many others just hope to make finals. See the difference?

Um, I seriously think that most, strike that, ALL, corps try to produce an entertaining (to the audience), challenging (for the members) and creative product (that resonates with the judges) each year. To think that corps leadership or design staff has lengthy discussions, when designing a show, about "boy I hope we just make finals'' is silly. The focus of corps is having each member and the corps as a whole be the best they can be. Every corps can have that "high expectation" and they themselves are in control of whether or not they meet it, regardless of how other corps are doing. 

19 minutes ago, billj said:

Um, I seriously think that most, strike that, ALL, corps try to produce an entertaining (to the audience), challenging (for the members) and creative product (that resonates with the judges) each year. To think that corps leadership or design staff has lengthy discussions, when designing a show, about "boy I hope we just make finals'' is silly. The focus of corps is having each member and the corps as a whole be the best they can be. Every corps can have that "high expectation" and they themselves are in control of whether or not they meet it, regardless of how other corps are doing. 

The stark reality of the 10 week thing we call DCI season, joined with how scoring works (love it or hate it)—the reality is, only six or seven corps at most have a realistic chance to medal. We know those six before spring training, because scoring is done in a specific way that all but ensures this expected outcome. It’s the one thing about DCI that I find really silly and sad. Scoring is largely a self fulfilling prophecy, based on history, scoring methodology and the shortness of a season.

I would hope and expect that every single corps measures success based on high artistic expectations. But the reality is, Vandy ain’t winning  national title in football no matter how much they want it. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

The stark reality of the 10 week thing we call DCI season, joined with how scoring works (love it or hate it)—the reality is, only six or seven corps at most have a realistic chance to medal. We know those six before spring training, because scoring is done in a specific way that all but ensures this expected outcome. It’s the one thing about DCI that I find really silly and sad. Scoring is largely a self fulfilling prophecy, based on history, scoring methodology and the shortness of a season.

I think the same is true in any activity.  There is only so much elite talent and elite instruction to go around.  There's a lot of good talent/instruction and a small amount of bad.  Every now and then you'll have an outlier win, but parity, unless artificially manufactured, just isn't a reality.

11 hours ago, panama303 said:

With all of their current (& former)  problems, I am pretty sure no one in Madison has ever ended the season pregnant.

Next year may be a different story.

• Haha 3