2019 Madison Scouts!

1 hour ago, lowend said:

I think the same is true in any activity.  There is only so much elite talent and elite instruction to go around.  There's a lot of good talent/instruction and a small amount of bad.  Every now and then you'll have an outlier win, but parity, unless artificially manufactured, just isn't a reality.

This is why successful pro sports franchises have instituted the salary cap, transfer restrictions, and inverted draft status. Without them you have largely predictable outcomes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

The stark reality of the 10 week thing we call DCI season, joined with how scoring works (love it or hate it)—the reality is, only six or seven corps at most have a realistic chance to medal. We know those six before spring training, because scoring is done in a specific way that all but ensures this expected outcome. It’s the one thing about DCI that I find really silly and sad. Scoring is largely a self fulfilling prophecy, based on history, scoring methodology and the shortness of a season.

I would hope and expect that every single corps measures success based on high artistic expectations. But the reality is, Vandy ain’t winning  national title in football no matter how much they want it. 

Exactly 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billj said:

Um, I seriously think that most, strike that, ALL, corps try to produce an entertaining (to the audience), challenging (for the members) and creative product (that resonates with the judges) each year. To think that corps leadership or design staff has lengthy discussions, when designing a show, about "boy I hope we just make finals'' is silly. The focus of corps is having each member and the corps as a whole be the best they can be. Every corps can have that "high expectation" and they themselves are in control of whether or not they meet it, regardless of how other corps are doing. 

I marched in 2 drum corps that never had a shot of winning DCI, and I never heard a staff member or member talk about winning. Then I marched in the scouts and we talked about winning DCI non stop. Reality and expectations are what they are. Burger King  doesn't expect to overtake McDonald's, while McDonald's expects to maintain their lead in market share 

Edited by FlamMan

39 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

I marched in 2 drum corps that never had a shot of winning DCI, and I never heard a staff member or member talk about winning. Then I marched in the scouts and we talked about winning DCI nom stop. Reality and expectations are what they are. Burger King  doesn't expect to overtake McDonald's, while McDonald's expects to maintain their lead in market share 

Kids are given the opportunity to compete. That, in and of itself, should be worth the investment. DCI is, fundamentally, a learning experience in the performing arts. 

• Like 1

For whatever it"s worth...Madison received one of the loudest ovations in Atlanta..I mention this because they ENTERTAINED!! They  may not compete with the top corps  this year but as long as they ENTERTAIN I'll remain an avid fan

• Like 3

9 hours ago, FlamMan said:

I marched in 2 drum corps that never had a shot of winning DCI, and I never heard a staff member or member talk about winning. Then I marched in the scouts and we talked about winning DCI non stop. Reality and expectations are what they are. Burger King  doesn't expect to overtake McDonald's, while McDonald's expects to maintain their lead in market share 

But that is not a universal given.  Temporality matters.  When I was in Scouts more than two decades after you marched, we never talked about winning.  If we did, it was as a joke.  We talked about making finals and being better than we were last year/the day before.

When I was at Blue Devils, we also did not really talk about winning.  We mainly talked about improving on our prior performance and being the best that we could be day-in-day-out.  Specifically, the motto was to be the best Blue Devils drum corps possible.  To get a 100.  Winning was simply a by product.  Sure, we may have chatted about the possibility, or about who we were in competition with, but it was not solely about winning.

Same with my time at Scouts.  We talked mainly about who we were in direct competition with.

It is funny to me that some people (not saying you) always argue about ring chasers and corps hopping, yet here we are discussing ring chasing with relationship to Madison, a corps that, at least when I was growing up and when I participated, was more about entertainment than competition; a corps that has not been a contender for more than two decades (the closest is in 2005 as some other folks have pointed out in prior pages).

I believe the motto was and to some degree still is "loud, proud, and pleasing the crowd."  Sure, I would have loved to win with the Scouts.  But I actually enjoyed making finals in 2008 and beating Crossmen at the very end to do so (after a long back and forth all summer) much more than going undefeated by multiple points with Devs every show all summer.  I felt more rewarded and like my work paid off in 2008.  In 2010 I just did my job.

My favorite summer is still 2009, even though the show sucked and the administration issues came to the forefront.  That bassline and all the vets who had been there from 2007 made it a blast even though we were a total bag of ###.

I never went to Madison to win.  I went to Madison to march Madison, and I hope that everyone who does so in the coming years does so for similar reasons and enjoys their time there regardless of administrative disfunction or placement or show design.

Edited by ndkbass
Corrected spelling of Crossmen; ####### autocorrect
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

With this idiotic pregnancy talk it seems like some of you had your  psycho sexual development stop at age 12. 

Yah, it is more than a little ridiculous!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

For whatever it"s worth...Madison received one of the loudest ovations in Atlanta..I mention this because they ENTERTAINED!! They  may not compete with the top corps  this year but as long as they ENTERTAIN I'll remain an avid fan

Sadly, entertaining doesn't pay the bills or draw top talent. 

• Like 1