2019 Madison Scouts!

14 hours ago, Gantang said:

A ring never crossed your mind?

Meh... a ring's not all it's cracked up to be.  I went from dead last in DCI (Scenic City 2003) to the top (Cadets 2005).  The experience is what's important.  The competition aspect serves as a framework and a vehicle, but I don't remember who beat whom on any given night.... (well, except for the first time we topped the Cavies in 2005... I think it was San Antonio... that was a good night).  

And that's why I have so much hope for Madison.   This year is such an enjoyable show... if the kids are having a great experience, I think they will build retention.  If ndkbass' post is any indication, that is what they need to focus on, admin and staff alike.  

• Like 8

9 hours ago, MikeN said:

Having intimate experience with two different corps food programs, I can't imagine having the guts (or even a *reason*) to fire the long-time food person.  They are about the most indispensable person in the entire corps.

Mike

I mean, obviously I am biased because it is my mom, but it was totally ridiculous.  She was amazing at her job, and Cavies had always been trying to steal her from Scouts because people could get fat on tour with the way she fed (she used military menu plans).  She went to SCV because they asked her to work for them based on her reputation (cook crews seem to be tight nit in my experience), and loved her time there.  It was just a heck of a commute for her from the Madison, WI area where she resides.

9 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

Meh... a ring's not all it's cracked up to be.  I went from dead last in DCI (Scenic City 2003) to the top (Cadets 2005).  The experience is what's important.  The competition aspect serves as a framework and a vehicle 

And that's why I have so much hope for Madison.   This year is such an enjoyable show... if the kids are having a great experience, I think they will build retention.  If ndkbass' post is any indication, that is what they need to focus on, admin and staff alike.

I could not have said it better and totally agree!  Thanks for the shout out.

21 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

I mean, obviously I am biased because it is my mom, but it was totally ridiculous.  She was amazing at her job, and Cavies had always been trying to steal her from Scouts because people could get fat on tour with the way she fed (she used military menu plans).  She went to SCV because they asked her to work for them based on her reputation (cook crews seem to be tight nit in my experience), and loved her time there.  It was just a heck of a commute for her from the Madison, WI area where she resides.

Wait...I didn't read all of the posts in this thread...but did you say that your Mom was the Madison Scouts food director, and that SCV recruited her to leave Madison for SCV? That is just crazy, and something that I would never have thought possible.     SCV STOLE THE MADISON SCOUTS HEAD CHEF!!!

1 hour ago, ndkbass said:

Your mother was INDEED the best I've ever seen at running a food operation for a corps.  The "Men of Madison" we so fortunate to have her.  She took care of them as if they were all her sons...and I know because one of them was my son.  Hall of Fame worthy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interesting post by Chuck Naffier on a Scouts FB fan page giving his take on what has gone on this summer. He says the members of the 2019 Scouts have great enthusiasm but "very little experience," and describes the undertaking as a "complete rebuild."

He says the strategy was to put together a crowd pleasing show at the expense of "playing the game this first year" because that should pay off in retention. Getting the young members to return is the key, and "kids come back for staffs who come back in this era." He acknowledges that upgrades are needed in many areas and says the approach to programming in 2020 will be different.

The first step was letting applause "wash over the guys, and building an appetite" for that kind of crowd reaction. He says there will be a larger recruiting pool next season and the corps will perform better. It took more than one year to reach this point and there are "no magic bullets."

Going forward, he says the priority is to "teach and retain so we never have to start at such an elementary level again - which translates into more advanced show design, which fuels the cycle of success." 

So the good news is that the staff does seem to have a plan. But with 2019 being step one in a total rebuild, that raises the obvious question of how the hell did top management allow a long-time powerhouse like the Madison Scouts to get into this predicament?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, WarriorHal said:

So the good news is that the staff does seem to have a plan. But with 2019 being step one in a total rebuild, that raises the obvious question of how the hell did top management allow a long-time powerhouse like the Madison Scouts to get into this predicament?

2018 is how.  That staff/show on paper vs. reality was the biggest disparity in drum corps history. 

On 7/28/2019 at 12:00 PM, MikeRapp said:

This is why successful pro sports franchises have instituted the salary cap, transfer restrictions, and inverted draft status. Without them you have largely predictable outcomes.

Good thing we can't count on the Patriots winning again...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, WarriorHal said:

Interesting post by Chuck Naffier on a Scouts FB fan page giving his take on what has gone on this summer. He says the members of the 2019 Scouts have great enthusiasm but "very little experience," and describes the undertaking as a "complete rebuild."

He says the strategy was to put together a crowd pleasing show at the expense of "playing the game this first year" because that should pay off in retention. Getting the young members to return is the key, and "kids come back for staffs who come back in this era." He acknowledges that upgrades are needed in many areas and says the approach to programming in 2020 will be different.

The first step was letting applause "wash over the guys, and building an appetite" for that kind of crowd reaction. He says there will be a larger recruiting pool next season and the corps will perform better. It took more than one year to reach this point and there are "no magic bullets."

Going forward, he says the priority is to "teach and retain so we never have to start at such an elementary level again - which translates into more advanced show design, which fuels the cycle of success." 

This probably the most promising post in this thread to date. Of course there are people responsible for why the corps is rebuilding, but the Scouts are at where they are at and rebuilding is necessary. What remains to be seen is if things have stabilized and if we see growth and improvement next year and the years that follow. 

• Like 4