2019 Madison Scouts!

1 hour ago, Gantang said:

It's a huge leap off a cliff for many Scouts' fans and alumni. I'm not sure why some people think girls are the panacea. The most talented girls will still go to the better corps leaving Madison with the left over talent. The same with the boys.

WarriorHal wrote that the guys are hungry for success. When I'm hungry I go where I was satiate my appetite immediately rather than grocery shopping and cooking a meal. Will the top talent of the 19 corps seek immediate success? Do they have time to endure a few years of rebuilding? 

I am sure this is a huge cultural shift for many Madison alumni and fans.  In recent years many corps changes (evolution) has been  a huge leap (in their minds).  I don't think anyone is saying going coed is the panacea or the be all end all for moving forward to the championship they believe the deserve.  There are about 12 corps right now that believe they have the answer to winning or at least putting them on the path to winning.  It is a new day in DC, so the sooner everyone is on the bus, the sooner the bus can move forward.

And please explain to us all WHY Madison HAS to get to the top right now!  There is a lot to fix before they can move up.  When I am hungry I do go to the grocery store  to stock enough to not only satiate my appetite now but later too.  A burger and fries isn't enough to last more than a day.   Build or rebuild the foundation first.  But start the work NOW.  An example is what Boston has done recently.  The move up from 12th after they fell back to 12th,  began years before.  Step by planned step.  It is still going on.  Will they advance further this year from 5th?  Maybe.  The potential is there.  But no matter what, more building blocks have been put in place.  Everyone kept saying moving to 3rd is harder than moving to 6th.  I think we are seeing moving to 6th is pretty darn hard now.   Another saying with "Adapt or die" is "Plan well, and execute rigorously".  But PLAN well.

I wish all Madison Scouts past, present and future the very best.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I am sure this is a huge cultural shift for many Madison alumni and fans.  In recent years many corps changes (evolution) has been  a huge leap (in their minds).  I don't think anyone is saying going coed is the panacea or the be all end all for moving forward to the championship they believe the deserve.  There are about 12 corps right now that believe they have the answer to winning or at least putting them on the path to winning.  It is a new day in DC, so the sooner everyone is on the bus, the sooner the bus can move forward.

And please explain to us all WHY Madison HAS to get to the top right now!  There is a lot to fix before they can move up.  When I am hungry I do go to the grocery store  to stock enough to not only satiate my appetite now but later too.  A burger and fries isn't enough to last more than a day.   Build or rebuild the foundation first.  But start the work NOW.  An example is what Boston has done recently.  The move up from 12th after they fell back to 12th,  began years before.  Step by planned step.  It is still going on.  Will they advance further this year from 5th?  Maybe.  The potential is there.  But no matter what, more building blocks have been put in place.  Everyone kept saying moving to 3rd is harder than moving to 6th.  I think we are seeing moving to 6th is pretty darn hard now.   Another saying with "Adapt or die" is "Plan well, and execute rigorously".  But PLAN well.

From I've read and heard,BAC's resurgence  was due in large part to an infusion of money.

which helped recruit top level staff.

Then they went from there.

I don't know if Madison has or can anticipate that type of cash infusion.

3 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

From I've read and heard,BAC's resurgence  was due in large part to an infusion of money.

which helped recruit top level staff.

Then they went from there.

I don't know if Madison has or can anticipate that type of cash infusion.

It was years of building the money.  No large single infusion.  They built a financial base first then proceeded with the creating the rest of the organization under IAM.  What they have created and what they do all year helps to continue a cash flow so there isn't a single source reliance on funding.  They have a large, wide ranging, talented and skilled BOD's.  They have revenue generating organization arms along wiht a number of subgroups (a music store, music festivals, local inner city music groups, charitable sponsors, and alumni participation that continues to grow).  The parent organization, IAM, functions like a business to support their subgroups, one of which is the Crusaders.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

And please explain to us all WHY Madison HAS to get to the top right now! 

If the current kids are hungry for success their only option is fast food. DCI has an age-out wall that limits the time the kids have to shop and cook before eating. I'm not saying Madison will get good over night I'm saying the kids who have the talent to march in a better corps are likely to go to someone who at least performs on Saturday night. The highest level talent may chase a ring. Time is of the essence for a 20-year-old.

A lot of metaphors flying around here. I feel like I’m back in English class. 

• Like 2

Why should Madison not want to get back to the top as soon as they can?

16 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

Why should Madison not want to get back to the top as soon as they can?

They SHOULD, but I think MMXX is going to be a struggle as they try to find themselves. Lot's of different logistical things to be addressed for the Scouts.

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

any improvement is a plus. But the key, regardless of who marches, is that staff has to be allowed to do their job, and this is going to take time.....something the admin hasn't been wiling to give

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gantang said:

They SHOULD, but I think MMXX is going to be a struggle as they try to find themselves. Lot's of different logistical things to be addressed for the Scouts.

I agree. But, they seriously need to start working on these issues now.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

I agree. But, they seriously need to start working on these issues now.

I hope they know what to address and how to identity a person who can help. Of course the BOD of any organization must have that knowledge, and to ability to know when the time is right to make a change of leadership. You're a Madison guy. Do you have faith that the current BOD thinks the time is right?