2019 Madison Scouts!

Honestly from my observation on the outside I don’t believe so.

• Sad 1

Sorry to get all positive, as that doesn't seem to be the mood of this thread, but I'm really over the moon that I'm going to see these young men perform this ridiculously enjoyable show in Allentown in a couple days, after having only seen video so far. Might even buy me some Scouts swag.

• Like 6

I see we have now entered Orwellian space. Up is down. Bad is good. I have hopes for the future too. But they aren’t very high if CK is not removed. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LabMaster said:

It was years of building the money.  No large single infusion.  They built a financial base first then proceeded with the creating the rest of the organization under IAM.  What they have created and what they do all year helps to continue a cash flow so there isn't a single source reliance on funding.  They have a large, wide ranging, talented and skilled BOD's.  They have revenue generating organization arms along wiht a number of subgroups (a music store, music festivals, local inner city music groups, charitable sponsors, and alumni participation that continues to grow).  The parent organization, IAM, functions like a business to support their subgroups, one of which is the Crusaders.

I would suggest that, with the incredible growing demand of World Class DCI competition, it is impossible to consider top half competitiveness without a year around approach to operations. This includes developing multiple revenue streams.

There is no practical way to find a top level World Class corps if you are doing nothing eight months of the year.

• Like 2

I have a couple of thoughts on Chuck's post discussed in the thread.

1st. Why are the Scouts in the situation of a "total rebuild"? Where did things go wrong and who is responsible. Are those responsible for allowing Scouts to fall so far competitively being held accountable?

2nd. I scratch my head at the idea of doing a show strictly to please the crowd without "playing the game" in order to retain members. Seems to me finishing dead last most shows and getting beat by nearly everyone in World Class would push most folks AWAY, not to stay. And another thing....and I really think this gets to a root of the problem with Scouts these days....why is there such a divide in philosophy between "crowd pleasing" and being competitive, or "playing the game"? It should be BOTH! You should NEVER sacrifice competitive possibilities for the sake of having a fun or entertaining show. Just as you shouldn't purposefully put on a boring, esoteric or bizarre show with no entertainment value for the sake of scoring better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, swmstom said:

I scratch my head at the idea of doing a show strictly to please the crowd without "playing the game" in order to retain members. Seems to me finishing dead last most shows and getting beat by nearly everyone in World Class would push most folks AWAY, not to stay. And another thing....and I really think this gets to a root of the problem with Scouts these days....why is there such a divide in philosophy between "crowd pleasing" and being competitive, or "playing the game"? It should be BOTH! You should NEVER sacrifice competitive possibilities for the sake of having a fun or entertaining show. Just as you shouldn't purposefully put on a boring, esoteric or bizarre show with no entertainment value for the sake of scoring better.

ALL OF THIS

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I see we have now entered Orwellian space. Up is down. Bad is good. I have hopes for the future too. But they aren’t very high if CK is not removed. 

Yup.

2 hours ago, swmstom said:

1st. Why are the Scouts in the situation of a "total rebuild"? Where did things go wrong and who is responsible. Are those responsible for allowing Scouts to fall so far competitively being held accountable?

2nd. I scratch my head at the idea of doing a show strictly to please the crowd without "playing the game" in order to retain members. Seems to me finishing dead last most shows and getting beat by nearly everyone in World Class would push most folks AWAY, not to stay. And another thing....and I really think this gets to a root of the problem with Scouts these days....why is there such a divide in philosophy between "crowd pleasing" and being competitive, or "playing the game"? It should be BOTH! You should NEVER sacrifice competitive possibilities for the sake of having a fun or entertaining show. Just as you shouldn't purposefully put on a boring, esoteric or bizarre show with no entertainment value for the sake of scoring better.

AMEN! Look at the Bluecoats. They are top level of competitive excellence and one of the most entertaining/crowd friendly corps out there.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, swmstom said:

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. 

Be careful swmstom you’re a revolutionary. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, swmstom said:

winnah winnah chicken dinnah