2019 Madison Scouts!

All I know is for the last time ever this coming weekend, I will see an all male Madison Scouts for the last time. I'm for inclusiveness, but I truly wonder if this decision would have happened if the corps was placing better. I am hoping people in the crowd aren't idiots about it....but man I am really tired of seeing so many "lasts" in drum corps

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, swmstom said:

I have a couple of thoughts on Chuck's post discussed in the thread.

1st. Why are the Scouts in the situation of a "total rebuild"? Where did things go wrong and who is responsible. Are those responsible for allowing Scouts to fall so far competitively being held accountable?

2nd. I scratch my head at the idea of doing a show strictly to please the crowd without "playing the game" in order to retain members. Seems to me finishing dead last most shows and getting beat by nearly everyone in World Class would push most folks AWAY, not to stay. And another thing....and I really think this gets to a root of the problem with Scouts these days....why is there such a divide in philosophy between "crowd pleasing" and being competitive, or "playing the game"? It should be BOTH! You should NEVER sacrifice competitive possibilities for the sake of having a fun or entertaining show. Just as you shouldn't purposefully put on a boring, esoteric or bizarre show with no entertainment value for the sake of scoring better.

Reading a bit between the lines, I believe Chuck is saying in his FB post that this is such a young, inexperienced corps, they were not yet capable of successfully performing a complex, advanced program.

He states this pretty clearly: "The priority is to teach and retain so we never have to start at such an elementary level again - which translates into more advanced show design, which fuels the cycle of success."

This year, the corps began at an "elementary level" -- which means high school kids and others with little or no drum corps experience. I assume the Scouts have the same situation with their color guard.

By comparison, many if not most top-12 World Class corps are filled with young men and women who are college music majors who have a great deal of drum corps/guard experience. And their shows aren't designed for entry level performers.

Edited by WarriorHal
  • Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 8:57 AM, Gantang said:

It's a huge leap off a cliff for many Scouts' fans and alumni. I'm not sure why some people think girls are the panacea. The most talented girls will still go to the better corps leaving Madison with the left over talent. The same with the boys.

WarriorHal wrote that the guys are hungry for success. When I'm hungry I go where I was satiate my appetite immediately rather than grocery shopping and cooking a meal. Will the top talent of the 19 corps seek immediate success? Do they have time to endure a few years of rebuilding? 

No matter how you look at it, a co-Ed corps has more potential marching members than a single gender corps.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

No matter how you look at it, a co-Ed corps has more potential marching members than a single gender corps.

This is a non-issue. First, for decades this was never a problem for the Scouts. And it has never been a problem for the Cavaliers.

This decision is smpke and mirrors to distract from CK's and DP's poor management decisions over the years. I wish the 2020 young men and women

coming into Madison, but unless the admin and BOD is voted out, I see no real change.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Nine White Russians said:

This is a non-issue. First, for decades this was never a problem for the Scouts. And it has never been a problem for the Cavaliers.

This decision is smpke and mirrors to distract from CK's and DP's poor management decisions over the years. I wish the 2020 young men and women

coming into Madison, but unless the admin and BOD is voted out, I see no real change.

The fact that it was not an issue before does not mean it isn’t an issue now. The activity is far far more competitive now.

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

This is true, but, since the present leadership has either driven away or failed to attract veteran male talent, absent a leadership change, wouldn’t the exact same thing happen with the veteran female talent?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

What you are missing though is the fact that the Madison scouts were unique in an activity of sameness and a lot of people like myself marched in Madison because it was all Male and the attitude and Superman suit and the masculinity of it all. The Madison Scouts were bad a55! That's all gone.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nine White Russians said:

100% correct Nine. Smoke and mirrors indeed.  Now the BOD is in a bad position because will they have the guts to fire a woke corps director like CK who broke down the barriers of exclusion  and the discriminatory practice of the scouts being all Male? 

(Sarcasm intended.)

Edited by FlamMan

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

All I know is for the last time ever this coming weekend, I will see an all male Madison Scouts for the last time. I'm for inclusiveness, but I truly wonder if this decision would have happened if the corps was placing better. I am hoping people in the crowd aren't idiots about it....but man I am really tired of seeing so many "lasts" in drum corps

We see and hear "lasts" each year, but they're just not announced. "Last year without props", "last year of most corps marching fast, cool drill", "last year without thunderous goo", 'last year of traditional uniforms', etc.

They are a result of evolution, and they are all sad, but we all survive and move on. 

6 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

What you are missing though is the fact that the Madison scouts were unique in an activity of sameness and a lot of people like myself marched in Madison because it was all Male and the attitude and Superman suit and the masculinity of it all. The Madison Scouts were bad a55! That's all gone.

That was a generation ago. If being all male and full of #### and vinegar was the drawing card it was back then, why are Cavaliers competing for a medal while Scouts are not even close to making Finals? 

• Like 3