2019 Madison Scouts!

7 hours ago, Slingerland said:

I'm well aware of the finances in WC drum corps. Madison stands to make $120k, tops, from appearance fees and their DCI share. They could pioneer (no pun) a business model where the corps was more local and more available for events in the midwest to help make up the difference. Hanging on to WC status as a former champion level corps now scraping by at the bottom rung of WC isn't much of a peg to hang a hat on, especially when it means that being WC places a demand on how much travel they need to do.

Pio hung on because a Director with an outsized sense of self couldn't bring himself to admit that he was in the wrong class. Despite getting paid, his kids were traveling in unsafe vehicles and getting inadequate medical support. 

When you're trying to turn a business around, you look at ALL options. That's where they are right now.

Can they afford to turn away 120 grand? Let’s face it moving to open class will be viewed as a huge step backwards. Perception is reality and open class is perceived by many as less than where Madison is perceived now 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

It’s not like you can skip regionals and be successful when that determines seeding. So what all these kids flying in then take a week off and go home? That jacks up the cost more for the kids. If they can’t sff to go home does the corks babysit them? Corps aren’t majority local membership anymore and he’ll they do more in Bloomington than they do in Madison 

I was thinking they would spend the time in Bloomington and I thought they had housing there. Do you think the seedings make that much of a difference? 

2 minutes ago, Gantang said:

I was thinking they would spend the time in Bloomington and I thought they had housing there. Do you think the seedings make that much of a difference? 

Outside of fuel costs, what do they save? They still need housing, food and rehearsal space for the entire summer, even if they are not competing. Only in that case they are generating $0 revenue. MM do not come from the home area as in the old days. 

20 minutes ago, Gantang said:

Still have to feed them. Seedlings? Perception is reality. When mandarins and PC still did the limited tour, how did they place?

There has been a lot of......discussion about what Madison Scouts could do that is competitive with today and still true to them.

Check out Spartans in open class.  TONS of screamers and high energy music paired with a really sleek and modern visual design.  That show is a blast.  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Gantang said:

I don’t get these references to Scouts and Bloomington. I know they train 45 minutes from here, but why else so much emphasis on Btown? Do CK and DP live here?

The cook truck is scheduled to be cleaned and will head back to Mississippi late Wednesday/early Thursday.  Meals will be catered Thursday - Saturday.  The daily schedule lists the corps will be staying in "Area Hotels" in Indy.  Before anyone asks if this is fact or fiction; this information came from the 2019 cook truck driver.  Now the bigger question is why in the hell is the corps staying in hotels?  Who did not do their job to find a housing site?  Finals have been in Indy since 2009 and they have not moved since.  Every corps knows where they are going. Add catered meals and hotels to the 2019 bottom line. What company would continue to employ folks who are incapable of doing their jobs?  I am baffled that DP and CK think they are good for the health and welfare of the Scouts.

Someone, anyone, ask me. . I'll run for the BOD!

• Like 2

Not sure what Scouts have done in recent years but in my days it was tradition to stay in a hotel during finals week. 

Now the food truck issue I can't fathom. Relying on donations to feed the corps? What if those donations don't happen or at least enough to provide?  Then what?

Goodness, things just keep concerning me more and more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Outside of fuel costs, what do they save? They still need housing, food and rehearsal space for the entire summer, even if they are not competing. Only in that case they are generating $0 revenue. MM do not come from the home area as in the old days. 

Don't they use Star's old place in Bloomington for Spring Training? Do members not buy any meals? 

1 hour ago, mjoakes said:

I don’t get these references to Scouts and Bloomington. I know they train 45 minutes from here, but why else so much emphasis on Btown? Do CK and DP live here?

I'm sorry. The last I knew they were using the old Star facilities. 

• Like 1